Is-Ssrm Not For Light-Hunting?

Balance

96 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:58 AM

Do IS mechs really have much use for Streaks? Honestly at that range, I'd rather use standard SRMs, I'm nailing my shots anyways.

IS on the other hand, it has DPS, but that's just about it. Whereas the Clan can touch lights farther, IS is doing a lot more that brute-forces damage that overcomes the ensured spread. Tech-base wise, it draws a distinction, but power-curve wise it's just a more spread but homing SRM.

With Clans, that +90m is actually useful especially when Clan SRMs are waaaaay more spread that would mean that the distance that a non-artemised SRM6 would be at only about 100m before you're doing unfocused damage, around 200m for artemised by my experience.

If you're dealing with a light as a light hunter, in my experience -- while SSRMs is basically the easy mode, the Clans did it with so much more range. IS Streak is at 270m range with 280m/s is 0.9643s of window-time, but Clan is at 360m range with 260m/s 1.3846s of window time, and while that's the time for lights to react and juke, but the speed of 150 kph, or at 41.6667m/s, that is 6.47s (-0.96s) window for the IS Streak, while 8.64s (-1.38s) for the Clan Streak.

This is all just theoretical, such as unless the light-pilot is brain-dead, he wouldn't be stupid enough to stay 6.5s to 8.75s exposed. But this kind of highlights why it's far better to hunt with Clan Streaks versus IS Streaks. I do see the merit of the higher DPS of the IS Streak versus a light that stays in the open, it's just not a light-hunter, but something to defend against lights.

MY suggestion, make IS-SSRMs consistent with Clan-SSRMs, only give them way more velocity, they already have higher damage to boot.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 July 2019 - 02:06 AM.

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:59 AM

Dont forget that clan SSRM´s are mostly on fixed-speed machinery, while IS SSRM´s can be carried on mechs that have a much wider speed range, so for me the lower range on IS streaks makes kinda sense .

P.s.: How many good light pilots are left that can reliably make you waste your streaks ?

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:26 AM

View PostB0oN, on 05 July 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

Dont forget that clan SSRM´s are mostly on fixed-speed machinery, while IS SSRM´s can be carried on mechs that have a much wider speed range, so for me the lower range on IS streaks makes kinda sense .

P.s.: How many good light pilots are left that can reliably make you waste your streaks ?

... how so? All it does is give people the option to go down, and considering that IS tech in general is heavier, this means said IS Streak-Boat might have to go lower.

#4 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:25 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 July 2019 - 01:58 AM, said:

If you're dealing with a light as a light hunter, in my experience -- while SSRMs is basically the easy mode, the Clans did it with so much more range.

If steaks are already easy mode to specifically counter one class of mechs, tell me again why they should get buffed against said class?

IS Streak is at 270m range with 280m/s is 0.9643s of window-time, but Clan is at 360m range with 260m/s 1.3846s of window time, and while that's the time for lights to react and juke, but the speed of 150 kph, or at 41.6667m/s, that is 6.47s (-0.96s) window for the IS Streak, while 8.64s (-1.38s) for the Clan Streak.

These windows are only valid if i) The light is running away full straight-line speed and ii) The mech shooting is literally standing still. If the mech is pursuing at 75 kph (heavies speed), that doubles the window to ~13s and ~17s. If they pursue at 100 kph it triples the window to ~19.5s and ~25.5s. Even at 50 kph (assault speeds) the window increases by 1.5s to ~10s and ~13s. If the light is slower or doesn't move in a straight line the time is even longer. Those windows are plenty of time for what amounts to a 1 mouse click easy mode weapon.

it's just not a light-hunter, but something to defend against lights.

Streaks (IS or Clan) shouldn't be able to turn any mech into a light hunter. If you're fast enough to chase a light you have a much larger window. If you aren't fast enough then they shouldn't be a hunter, but only a deterrent. If anything, CSSRMs have too much range because (with skill tree) they give mechs a ~400m bubble of light protection, which out-ranges a lot of light mechs.

MY suggestion, make IS-SSRMs consistent with Clan-SSRMs, only give them way more velocity, they already have higher damage to boot.

My counter proposal: Reduce the range on clan streaks to 270m, lights are already the least played class, they don't need stronger counters.

#5 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

I find is streaks hit and miss in light hunter role unless you use a heavier weight class. They won't do you much good in a light-light-hunter role when using any is light for a lot of reasons and situations. In the light-mech-light-hunter role I prefer dps builds that don't depend on locks using spls,mpls,mgs with mg rof quirks and srm 2s. Besides the obvious weight grain reasons of ditching the is ssrms for faster engine or more laser you can choose not to take the bap,tag, or tc mk you'd want to get a lock faster.

Here's just a few encounters when is ssrms aren't worth the weight and you must include bap and a uav minimal to their weight investment I've had:

1. Surrounded by multiple ecms. A wolf pack of alpha or light and fast meds make a lock on a joke.
2. Stealth-ed mech.
3. Dps mech has the dps and heat to core you or take half your mech while doing the circle spin trying to get that lock due to the lock area been nerfed.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Only bad pilots use streaks to hunt lights in QP, too many disadvantages.

#7 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

MY suggestion, rebalance streaks so they are balanced against all classes or maybe even better against bigger targets than lighter targets. Makes more sense then having them weak against everything except for the most common builds of the least played, lowest performing class.

#8 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Please don't mess with my IS streaks. Unless to buff them. They are great for defense against lights. My cyclops build one shotted a piranha this week. It was glorious.

#9 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

Lemme guess... streak 10Q..

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

View PostXiphias, on 05 July 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

If steaks are already easy mode to specifically counter one class of mechs, tell me again why they should get buffed against said class?

Never said that they should be buffed.

These windows are only valid if i) The light is running away full straight-line speed and ii) The mech shooting is literally standing still. If the mech is pursuing at 75 kph (heavies speed), that doubles the window to ~13s and ~17s. If they pursue at 100 kph it triples the window to ~19.5s and ~25.5s. Even at 50 kph (assault speeds) the window increases by 1.5s to ~10s and ~13s. If the light is slower or doesn't move in a straight line the time is even longer. Those windows are plenty of time for what amounts to a 1 mouse click easy mode weapon.

I don't really get your response, that's not what the point of the "window", its the fact that IS SSRM has smaller window than the Clan SSRM.

Streaks (IS or Clan) shouldn't be able to turn any mech into a light hunter. If you're fast enough to chase a light you have a much larger window. If you aren't fast enough then they shouldn't be a hunter, but only a deterrent. If anything, CSSRMs have too much range because (with skill tree) they give mechs a ~400m bubble of light protection, which out-ranges a lot of light mechs.

Sure, I guess. The point of the thread was is that the IS SSRM is not really doing what the established role of the SSRMs.

My counter proposal: Reduce the range on clan streaks to 270m, lights are already the least played class, they don't need stronger counters.

Only if the clan version also get same CDs.

View PostJohn McClintock, on 05 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Please don't mess with my IS streaks. Unless to buff them. They are great for defense against lights. My cyclops build one shotted a piranha this week. It was glorious.

You nuked a light with easy-mode? And you're proud of that? Really?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 July 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#11 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 July 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Maybe I'm completely missing the point of your OP, but isn't your suggestion to increase the range of IS-SSRMs? That would be directly buffing streaks.

I don't really get your response, that's not what the point of the "window", its the fact that IS SSRM has smaller window than the Clan SSRM.

Again, I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm not sure what your point is. IS-SSRMs have a smaller window than Clan-SSRMs. The IS version has a faster cooldown, the clan version has a greater range, they fill somewhat different roles. You appeared to be arguing that the window was too small to make for an effective light hunting build. I'd argue that with a decently fast mech the window is still plenty large enough to hit lights even if it's a smaller window.

With the window you listed, (and assuming steak 2s for simple math, 2s and 3s cooldowns) you can fire roughly 3 times with CSSRMs and 3 times with IS SSRMs. With a 25.5s and 19.5s window you can fire roughly 8-9 times with clan and 9-10 times with IS. You actually get more shots off overall, because although the window is smaller you can shoot more often inside of it. Mech speed affects the window time and number of shots that can be gotten off..

Sure, I guess. The point of the thread was is that the IS SSRM is not really doing what the established role of the SSRMs.

What is/should the established role of SSRMs be?

Only if the clan version also get same CDs.

While I'm not actually advocating for clan streak range to get nerfed I would be perfectly fine with this. Range is a far bigger issues with streaks than cool-down, because it usually doesn't take a lot of streaks to ruin a light's day and range makes it much harder for lights to get in and out of their effective weapon range without getting smashed.

I guess I'm just really not understanding what you are advocating for here. Making IS consistent with clan would be increasing their range and that would absolutely be a buff to streaks and consequently an indirect nerf to lights.

#12 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

You nuked a light with easy-mode? And you're proud of that? Really?

yes Posted Image

maybe he should have stuck to his ECM buddies... Posted Image

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostXiphias, on 05 July 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

Maybe I'm completely missing the point of your OP, but isn't your suggestion to increase the range of IS-SSRMs? That would be directly buffing streaks.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 July 2019 - 01:58 AM, said:

Basically CSSRMs with +damage and +velocity, but otherwise same high cd and same range.

Again, I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm not sure what your point is. IS-SSRMs have a smaller window than Clan-SSRMs. The IS version has a faster cooldown, the clan version has a greater range, they fill somewhat different roles. You appeared to be arguing that the window was too small to make for an effective light hunting build. I'd argue that with a decently fast mech the window is still plenty large enough to hit lights even if it's a smaller window.

That is exactly it, the IS-SSRM is at best a powerful deterent, the C-SSRM is the go-getter for light-hunting. Powerful as the IS-SSRM seems with better DPS, it's just that the reduced range is precisely not condusive nor catering to the supposed strength of the IS-SSRM. High ROF is not going to matter if you are less likely to launch the SSRMs within range.

I mean what self-respecting light would just stay in the bubble of the Skill-Boat? Wouldn't they minimize that? And if so wouldn't that mean it's a lot easier to just retreat from the shorter-ranged one? And if the shorter-ranged SSRMs have lesser exposure-time, wouldn't that also mean that it's less time for you to launch more SSRMs?

With the window you listed, (and assuming steak 2s for simple math, 2s and 3s cooldowns) you can fire roughly 3 times with CSSRMs and 3 times with IS SSRMs. With a 25.5s and 19.5s window you can fire roughly 8-9 times with clan and 9-10 times with IS. You actually get more shots off overall, because although the window is smaller you can shoot more often inside of it. Mech speed affects the window time and number of shots that can be gotten off.

Well think about this, how important is shooting 9-10 times, versus landing them 8-9 times?

And that is exactly the point, you NEED to land your shots with the SSRMs, but with the IS side being less likely because it's exactly shorter.

What is/should the established role of SSRMs be?

I'm quite satisfied with the Clan SSRMs, the fact that I could skirt 300m effectively is exactly why I bring it. At the range of the IS-SSRMs, i'd rather bring A-SRMs.

While I'm not actually advocating for clan streak range to get nerfed I would be perfectly fine with this. Range is a far bigger issues with streaks than cool-down, because it usually doesn't take a lot of streaks to ruin a light's day and range makes it much harder for lights to get in and out of their effective weapon range without getting smashed.

I agree, but for me, a lot of the SSRMs is the range over the standard SRMs.

I guess I'm just really not understanding what you are advocating for here. Making IS consistent with clan would be increasing their range and that would absolutely be a buff to streaks and consequently an indirect nerf to lights.

Perhaps it could looked at that way, but consider what it would be losing like higher ROF.

#14 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

Way too many ways to counter streaks now. They are so situational now, they are seldom worth brining. Having a stealth mech dance around you while you can't touch them one time is enough to make me switch out to SRMs.

Getting Incursion and finding you can't target base defenses sucks pretty bad too.

#15 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 July 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Basically CSSRMs with +damage and +velocity, but otherwise same high cd and same range.

You are literally saying that IS streaks should be buffed.

That is exactly it, the IS-SSRM is at best a powerful deterent, the C-SSRM is the go-getter for light-hunting. Powerful as the IS-SSRM seems with better DPS, it's just that the reduced range is precisely not condusive nor catering to the supposed strength of the IS-SSRM. High ROF is not going to matter if you are less likely to launch the SSRMs within range.

I mean what self-respecting light would just stay in the bubble of the Skill-Boat? Wouldn't they minimize that? And if so wouldn't that mean it's a lot easier to just retreat from the shorter-ranged one? And if the shorter-ranged SSRMs have lesser exposure-time, wouldn't that also mean that it's less time for you to launch more SSRMs?

I don't agree with having a weapon system specifically designed to shut down one specific class when that doesn't exist for any other class in the game. You make it harder for lights to actively participate in a match due to having to stay outside of streak bubbles/constantly run away from light hunters because they have no way of countering streaks without stealth armor or teammates. Constantly having to run away and not being able to engage does not make for fun gameplay.

Yes, making streaks longer range rather than rapid fire would make them better. Making them shorter range and faster cooldown requires more skill to make them work against lights and limits them to a more defensive role unless they are mounted on something fast which, IMO, is what they should be limited to.

Well think about this, how important is shooting 9-10 times, versus landing them 8-9 times?

And that is exactly the point, you NEED to land your shots with the SSRMs, but with the IS side being less likely because it's exactly shorter.

Good, streaks are pretty much as easy mode as it comes with weapon systems. We shouldn't make it easier to use them to counter lights.

I'm quite satisfied with the Clan SSRMs, the fact that I could skirt 300m effectively is exactly why I bring it. At the range of the IS-SSRMs, i'd rather bring A-SRMs.

I'm not, I'd be happier if they'd never been added. I think they were bad for the game/lights when they were added primarily because they tend to out range lights by a lot (even ML lights only have an optimal range of 270-300m and are doing significantly reduced damage at 360-400m). I don't advocate to have them removed/nerfed, but that doesn't mean I like them the way that they are.

If you can hit at close range with SRMs, that's great for you. A lot of pilots can't, and at least with SRMs the lights have a chance to juke and throw your aim off to make you miss. Your shooting skill vs the light's piloting ability. Streaks are just an easy mode counter to lights, full stop. They are primarily good for players who don't have a good aim and can't hit with other weapons, their role is more of a crutch weapon than anything else. Granted they can be good enough to be viable in comp, but that doesn't mean the mechanics make it an interesting weapon system and there's a reason why they are banned in a lot of low tonnage comp leagues. Low skill ceiling and not many counter-play options. Granted, with stealth armor there are a few more things than there used to be, but streaks are still a low skill weapon.

Perhaps it could looked at that way, but consider what it would be losing like higher ROF.

You've already said that range is better for streaks when fighting lights, and the only reason people take streaks over SRMs is to counter lights so it would be straight buffing streaks.

I don't have a problem dealing with streaks when I play. I know how to avoid then and to play to their weaknesses. However, C-SSRMs actively make the game less enjoyable for me playing lights and makes certain builds significantly less viable in solo queue due to the presence of lots of streaks. I'm opposed to any change to IS streaks that's going to make them better against lights and more prominent in QP because that will only serve to further nerf light mechs.

Boating only streaks to counter lights is not something that should be encouraged or made easier.

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostB0oN, on 05 July 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

You're veering off-course by discussing the balance between Omnimechs and Battlemechs rather than the balancing of SSRMs. Clans have plenty of Battlemechs that can carry Streaks so the fixed-speed thing is a non-issue.

To address the thread topic directly, giving Streaks an XML buff right now isn't such a great idea while they are still based on gimmicky autoaim mechanics. Since those mechanics will never ever be changed, letting them be less common than other weapons is a lesser evil than having a super-powered aimbot murdering lights left and right.

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostXiphias, on 05 July 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

You are literally saying that IS streaks should be buffed.

Rework. Tweak.

Buffed is simply making it powerful. What I want is to make it function differently, such as when IS seems to be rather defensive, it becomes more offensive -- as in for light-hunting. Because it wouldn't have any place in the game otherwise.

I don't agree with having a weapon system specifically designed to shut down one specific class when that doesn't exist for any other class in the game. You make it harder for lights to actively participate in a match due to having to stay outside of streak bubbles/constantly run away from light hunters because they have no way of countering streaks without stealth armor or teammates. Constantly having to run away and not being able to engage does not make for fun gameplay.

Good, streaks are pretty much as easy mode as it comes with weapon systems. We shouldn't make it easier to use them to counter lights.

I'm not, I'd be happier if they'd never been added. I think they were bad for the game/lights when they were added primarily because they tend to out range lights by a lot (even ML lights only have an optimal range of 270-300m and are doing significantly reduced damage at 360-400m). I don't advocate to have them removed/nerfed, but that doesn't mean I like them the way that they are.

Here's a thought, there's ECM and AMS versus missiles, which makes it harder for Streaks, LRMs, and ATMs. Where is your outrage for those? It's not fun for the Assault, hell it's not fun for the slow-*** clan-heavy to be circle-strafed by some light or fast-medium. But fact is, there's plays and counter plays. There are those DESIGNED to counter something, and it just happens lights counters the slow-*** assaults.

It's a game of counters.

Don't get me wrong, I don't harbor ire for lights, hell I play Urbie as main. But lets just take a step back and consider what would happen if SSRMs isn't a light-hunter -- then it barely has any place in the game. It's just a more-spread version of the SRMs that would basically par better if you could hit it better.

Unless you make lights easier to hit by default so that Assaults have better chance at defending themselves against the dreadfully annoying lights, i think you should be thankful that it's at least just one class of weapons that are designed to counter lights, instead of the mess like that of the HBS Battletech.

Yes, making streaks longer range rather than rapid fire would make them better. Making them shorter range and faster cooldown requires more skill to make them work against lights and limits them to a more defensive role unless they are mounted on something fast which, IMO, is what they should be limited to.

And IMO, either do one or the other, not both. It's better for a role, but it's not exactly a buff.

If you can hit at close range with SRMs, that's great for you. A lot of pilots can't, and at least with SRMs the lights have a chance to juke and throw your aim off to make you miss. Your shooting skill vs the light's piloting ability. Streaks are just an easy mode counter to lights, full stop. They are primarily good for players who don't have a good aim and can't hit with other weapons, their role is more of a crutch weapon than anything else. Granted they can be good enough to be viable in comp, but that doesn't mean the mechanics make it an interesting weapon system and there's a reason why they are banned in a lot of low tonnage comp leagues. Low skill ceiling and not many counter-play options. Granted, with stealth armor there are a few more things than there used to be, but streaks are still a low skill weapon.

Personally, I prefer lasers versus lights due to instant hit. The SRMs just have too slow projectile to be effective against the fast ones.

You've already said that range is better for streaks when fighting lights, and the only reason people take streaks over SRMs is to counter lights so it would be straight buffing streaks.

Well, there's also the reason that it hits farther. Remember when it now has a weighted chance to hit the torso? Now versus SRMs that could be focused at 200m and never anything above 270m before quirks, you got SSRMs that could hit farther that is better for hit-and-run tactics with fire-and-forget missiles. Streak-SCat is particularly powerful with this due to constant SSRM poptarting.

I don't have a problem dealing with streaks when I play. I know how to avoid then and to play to their weaknesses. However, C-SSRMs actively make the game less enjoyable for me playing lights and makes certain builds significantly less viable in solo queue due to the presence of lots of streaks. I'm opposed to any change to IS streaks that's going to make them better against lights and more prominent in QP because that will only serve to further nerf light mechs.

So there it is.

What if I told you that when I'm playing Dire, lights actively make the game harder to me? Like I said before, it's a game of counters. What you want is precisely is having your cake and eat it too.

Don't get me wrong, it's frustrating to deal with a streak-boat when I'm playing as 6x SRM2 Javelin, but if nothing else, it works on any other cases.

Boating only streaks to counter lights is not something that should be encouraged or made easier.

I never said anything about boating.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 July 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#18 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 05 July 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Way too many ways to counter streaks now. They are so situational now, they are seldom worth brining. Having a stealth mech dance around you while you can't touch them one time is enough to make me switch out to SRMs.

Why when I played if it was at all possible my streak mechs also mounted a flamer or two.

Posted Image

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

i still prefer regular srms over streaks for light hunting. not only can they be better targeted to weak points, they are also useful when lights do not produce themselves.

#20 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:32 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 July 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Rework. Tweak.

Buffed is simply making it powerful. What I want is to make it function differently, such as when IS seems to be rather defensive, it becomes more offensive -- as in for light-hunting. Because it wouldn't have any place in the game otherwise.

The two are not mutually exclusive, if a rework makes something stronger it is a buff. This would make streaks stronger therefor it is a buff.

Here's a thought, there's ECM and AMS versus missiles, which makes it harder for Streaks, LRMs, and ATMs. Where is your outrage for those?

ECM also has narc, tag, and PPCs that can counter it, all of which require player skill to be used effectively. Play and counter play. AMS is an interesting case, a single AMS doesn't stop missiles so much as mitigate some of the damage. A whole team using them can certainly shut down an LRM boat, however similarly a whole team running streaks can shut down lights. If 1 AMS mech can shut down 1 or more missile boats by itself and still contribute to the team it might be an issue. The mechs that can do this are pretty limited though.

Lock on weapons in general are easier to use. Low effort weapons have low effort counters. I think lock on weapons generally make the game less interesting and less fun, I would personally enjoy the game more if they didn't exist, since spending half of a match hanging out behind cover while I wait for the missile lock to die isn't engaging gameplay. That said, I know that other people like to play them so I don't advocate for having them removed.

If I run into the open and someone hits me with a PPC I can respect their aim, and perhaps with better piloting could have dodged it. If I run across the open and I get smashed by missiles, I know that they did minimal work to get the hit, and that no amount of evasion would dodge the impact. One challenges me to improve my skills, the other encourages me to camp behind cover.

It's not fun for the Assault, hell it's not fun for the slow-*** clan-heavy to be circle-strafed by some light or fast-medium. But fact is, there's plays and counter plays. There are those DESIGNED to counter something, and it just happens lights counters the slow-*** assaults.

It's a game of counters.

I'm fine with counters. Twin heavy gauss is the best anti-light weapon in the game if the pilot can aim. In the case of that though it requires one pilot to aim and allows one pilot to try and evade. It's a contest of skill. Streaks attempt to provide parity by making it easy to kill a light, regardless of the relative skill difference. A weak player in a streak mech can often kill a strong player in a light mech despite the skill gap between them being high. In contrast, a weak player in a light mech will almost certainly get destroyed by a strong player in an assault mech.

It's a common view that light mechs counter assaults, and to a point they do, however a strong assault mech pilot can just as easily kill a light mech or multiple light mechs. A good light can easily kill a bad assault, a good assault can easily kill a bad light. A good light is still going to struggle against a bad streak mech unless they have a loadout that counters it or the streak mech is really bad.

I'm against weapons that reduce or remove the role of skill in the game. Yes, using terrain to avoid streaks is a skill, but there are limits to what it can do and the balance is heavily skewed towards streaks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't harbor ire for lights, hell I play Urbie as main. But lets just take a step back and consider what would happen if SSRMs isn't a light-hunter -- then it barely has any place in the game. It's just a more-spread version of the SRMs that would basically par better if you could hit it better.

It becomes a fallback weapon for players that can't aim, which is mostly what it is now. Having a weapon that hard counters lights isn't a good role, given that lights are already countered by a lot of other things.

Unless you make lights easier to hit by default so that Assaults have better chance at defending themselves against the dreadfully annoying lights, i think you should be thankful that it's at least just one class of weapons that are designed to counter lights, instead of the mess like that of the HBS Battletech.

Here we run into the core of the issue. A lot of lights were already made significantly easier to hit by the rescale (Jenner/Firestarter in particular). Why? Because people were too bad of shots to be able to hit them. The reason assaults can't defend themselves is not because they aren't capable (most of them are), but because the pilots are just too bad to hit a fast moving target. It takes skill to weave and avoid fire, it takes skill to hit a fast moving light. That's a good thing. Adding a weapon system to make of for lack of skill and to counter other players' skill is a bad thing.

There are edge cases, like a Commando leg hugging an Atlas, while it can somewhat be countered by arm weapons, it's not great game design (though I do like penalizing torso only weapons somewhat).

Well, there's also the reason that it hits farther. Remember when it now has a weighted chance to hit the torso? Now versus SRMs that could be focused at 200m and never anything above 270m before quirks, you got SSRMs that could hit farther that is better for hit-and-run tactics with fire-and-forget missiles. Streak-SCat is particularly powerful with this due to constant SSRM poptarting.

I'm well aware of the uses streaks had in the past. I've run streaknado builds in comp matches where the whole point was to be faster and use the range to kite a brawl deck. That doesn't change the fact that making streaks better as they are now will hurt light mechs. Also, making IS and Clan streaks clones of each other isn't an ideal solution either.

What if I told you that when I'm playing Dire, lights actively make the game harder to me? Like I said before, it's a game of counters. What you want is precisely is having your cake and eat it too.

You misunderstand me, I'm not opposed to things that make the game harder for me. Again, twin heavy gauss makes my life much harder, but it makes the game more interesting because it's skill vs skill. Streaks aren't. Streaks are a boring weapon system to use and an annoying weapon system to play against. There effectiveness quickly caps out with a minimal amount of skill. I don't think the effectiveness against lights warrants the small amount of skill required to use them.

I never said anything about boating.

No you didn't, but the logical effect of improving a weapon is that boating it will become stronger. What clan mechs do you see taking streaks most frequently? Maddog, Huntsman, Stormcrow, Arcticwolf. Usually boating.

My biggest complaint against streaks is that they are very strong against lights while requiring very little skill to use. Allowing almost any player to counter almost any light. In general, I think a more skilled player should have a decent chance to beat a less skilled player, and streaks remove the role of a lot of skills that making piloting lights what it is (e.g. being able to dodge and evade). The point of the class is to be harder to hit, and streaks take this away. I think that's overall bad for the game.

If lights were the top scoring class I would be all for making counters against them stronger. Right now though, heavier mechs consistently outscore lights, I don't think that making an easy counter better is a good thing.

Anyway, I've spent enough time arguing a moot point. There are significantly bigger issues in the game than this one and it's a rather pointless argument to have as I'm pretty confident PGI is not going to implement it anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users