These Events Are Economic Suicide For Pgi

219 replies to this topic

#21 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

The Player Population is low now. I think they want to motivate the remaining community with Events and Gifts. That's ok but they should be economical with the mc's. I bought 2 Hero Mechs (Fafnir and Roughneck) with free mc's (from earlier Events) and I have still some free mc's.

#22 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:35 PM

View PostSnowhawk, on 07 July 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

The Player Population is low now. I think they want to motivate the remaining community with Events and Gifts. That's ok but they should be economical with the mc's. I bought 2 Hero Mechs (Fafnir and Roughneck) with free mc's (from earlier Events) and I have still some free mc's.

And you'll do what with that free MC? Buy something else and keep playing, right? And wouldn't you spend some money to buy more things if you find people to play against?

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

i think there are way too many of them frankly. i have a massive stable of hero mechs most of which were completely free because of all the free mc and sales.

#24 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

the event atm and all that goes with it (mass afks, mass suicides etc + the constant nascar etc) keeps quite a few people _out_ of playing.

little fun to be had when 20+ out of 24 really DO NOT try to have a "g g".

#25 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 July 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

i think there are way too many of them frankly. i have a massive stable of hero mechs most of which were completely free because of all the free mc and sales.

How is that a bad thing?

#26 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostKanil, on 07 July 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

How is that a bad thing?

its bad when you get your datacenter bill and you are out of money.

if you can get everything for free you aren't buying things and pgi cant keep the game servers up anymore. a massive mech hanger is useless when the game is dead.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 July 2019 - 08:55 PM.

#27 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 July 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

if you can get everything for free you

Getting the occasional hero for free is hardly "everything".

If PGI didn't have so many events, I'd play a lot less, and if I played a lot less, I couldn't possibly justify buying mechpacks. I dare say PGI's gotten more money out of me by having events than by not having them.

#28 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 July 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

its bad when you get your datacenter bill and you are out of money.

if you can get everything for free you aren't buying things and pgi cant keep the game servers up anymore. a massive mech hanger is useless when the game is dead.

Uh huh, and a game that is almost devoid of any real content (re: maps, game modes, additional expansion sized campaign modes, etc.,) doesn't need any mechs or items to be bought either.

So, what I'm getting at is that the free stuff is the reason people continue to play. You remove the generosity, people will stop. The way to go about it is to make the events better.

For e.g., the current event leaves absolutely no incentive to try FW 'cause you can get 5 bad games to rack up 100 MS each in about 15 minutes whereas in FW, you play one game to get a 100 MS. The previous events like UAV detection, etc., also has people doing suicide runs instead of actually playing. The 500 MS challenge is pretty much a lottery 'cause you can't get it if your team stomps the opposition and you definitely can't get it if you get stomped fast. What you need for that is two sets of players not being able to get more than 300 MS and you score all the damage and a few kills. Or you do some damage while having AMS equipped.

Make the events matter more so that everyone feels validated in playing MWO. It isn't enough to please one set of people or you'll keep seeing threads like this. Right now, concentrate on FW and QP. The Solaris can die. Events that incentivise players to play FW is needed. On top of that, keep making changes to FW so that it is good. In its current, the foundation is pretty average and needs to improve. Then, we can talk about how generous PGI needs to be in the coming months.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 July 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Is this unintentional economic idiocy or is it some nefarious plan to convince Microsoft MechWarrior is more popular than it actually is, damaging the business model in the process in order to reup the license?

This is desperation to get people to play...
...and even then, I'm still refusing to do so. I'm waiting for MW5: Mercs, MWO is about as dead as it gets.

#30 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 07 July 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Uh huh, and a game that is almost devoid of any real content (re: maps, game modes, additional expansion sized campaign modes, etc.,) doesn't need any mechs or items to be bought either.

So, what I'm getting at is that the free stuff is the reason people continue to play. You remove the generosity, people will stop. The way to go about it is to make the events better.

For e.g., the current event leaves absolutely no incentive to try FW 'cause you can get 5 bad games to rack up 100 MS each in about 15 minutes whereas in FW, you play one game to get a 100 MS. The previous events like UAV detection, etc., also has people doing suicide runs instead of actually playing. The 500 MS challenge is pretty much a lottery 'cause you can't get it if your team stomps the opposition and you definitely can't get it if you get stomped fast. What you need for that is two sets of players not being able to get more than 300 MS and you score all the damage and a few kills. Or you do some damage while having AMS equipped.

Make the events matter more so that everyone feels validated in playing MWO. It isn't enough to please one set of people or you'll keep seeing threads like this. Right now, concentrate on FW and QP. The Solaris can die. Events that incentivise players to play FW is needed. On top of that, keep making changes to FW so that it is good. In its current, the foundation is pretty average and needs to improve. Then, we can talk about how generous PGI needs to be in the coming months.

both things matter. game doesnt exist if you cant pay your data center bills, but if you cant get games then nobody is playing. either one can kill the game and pgi has to strike a balance somewhere. but it doesn't seem that what they have chosen is sustainable. you can still give away free stuff without undermining your mc sales. if pgi wants to be generous they could give out more mc and gxp instead of mc and mech bays. grinding cbills and leveling mechs both suck enough to bring even me with my massive mech collection. people who have collected mechs for awhile likely have things to level and new players are likely in a cbill crunch.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostKanil, on 07 July 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Getting the occasional hero for free is hardly "everything".

If PGI didn't have so many events, I'd play a lot less, and if I played a lot less, I couldn't possibly justify buying mechpacks. I dare say PGI's gotten more money out of me by having events than by not having them.

everything no, there are many heros that are completely worthless. i have 42 and i only bought like four of them.

#32 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

They can give away whatever product they want but really shouldn't give out mc. Mc is a currency. People use it to buy whatever mech they want. Most players also don't play pokemech. They buy one or two mechs, paint them and that's it. Mc giveaways mean that as long as they play, they don't have to spend to get their black deathstrike.

#33 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:33 PM

1. Attract players, new and old.
2. Give incentive to spend money, new and old players.

See it as a last straw. If your revenue is too low anyway and you dont have any content to attract players new and old alike dish out events like crazy and hope people come. Giving MCs people might be more likely to buy MC because of that "oh so close that i can buy X, but i dont want to wait, lets spend a little amount of money". No F2P game creates events and gives those rewards because they love their costumers.

#34 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 July 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

In a course of a little over a week I have accumulated 1,120 additional MC. That is 89% the value of a lowest tier MC package(something PGI needs to sell to keep the servers running).

They don't just do this one a year. St. Patrick's, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are creating situations where people don't draw down MC at a rate greater than they earn it.

Congratulations 1120 MC will score you a whole 1 light hero mech on discount for free ...

Your minimum wage for sitting and playing 150 plus games . You are living the dream bro .

PGI wants my dropship money but it also needs you to join a match and brag to your team buddies about your time well spent and lootbag MC profits while my brand new PRETTY BABY takes a few pot shots at you

Edited by Pain G0D, 07 July 2019 - 11:09 PM.

#35 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 07 July 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

I recall reading that MWO is on maintenance mode and PGI says it no longer makes them the money to keep updating it.

Must have missed this info.. can anyone post a link to this?

#36 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:25 PM

View PostPain G0D, on 07 July 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

Congratulations 1120 MC will score you a whole 1 light hero mech on discount for free ...

Your minimum wage for sitting and playing 150 plus games . You are living the dream bro .

PGI wants my dropship money but it also needs you to join a match and brag to your team buddies about your time well spent and lootbag MC profits while my brand new PRETTY BABY takes a few pot shots at you

Now pair that with the 50% off mc deal that pgi offers multiple times a year. Not only do players buy less mc because of the giveaways, they also buy them at half price and don't buy more until they need another top up at 50% off again. It IS hurting profit margins.

#37 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostWil McCullough, on 07 July 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

Now pair that with the 50% off mc deal that pgi offers multiple times a year. Not only do players buy less mc because of the giveaways, they also buy them at half price and don't buy more until they need another top up at 50% off again. It IS hurting profit margins.

Yeah? Here I was thinking that no one was buying mechpacks and the dwindling population would be the main concern, but apparently it is sales that are destroying the game. Huh.

MWO is on its last legs. Games run their course. Towards the end, most have a big "fun period" where stuff gets cheap, economy is thrown out the window and the makers give it a cheerful farewell. We are into the extended farewell period. Enjoy it while it lasts.

#38 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:09 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 07 July 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

Firstly this game is 7 years old and still kicking . Thats called making money .

Secondly these are virtual products being sold . It only cost money when being programmed into the game . Its pure profit for PGI whatever discount is slapped onto it . Posted Image PGI loses nothing by tossing a few virtual prizes and premium currency at players .

Everyone loves discounts . A hundred players buying 1 goodie on discount is a ton of cash .

I spent 40 bucks , because of this event . Do you think i was the only one ? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Pain G0D, 08 July 2019 - 12:20 AM.

#39 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:17 AM

The business idea behind giving out limited amounts of premium currency in games is that players get hooked on having it, and also that if you have (for example) half the required MC for a hero you want or something the threshold is lower to buy the remaining MC compared to having 0 MC. It also feels generous and keeps players around more to play as they want to get the value out of their prizes.Tried and true and it works in a lot of games.

It worked on me at least once, i never bought MC until PGI gave me a bunch of it for free, and I wanted to use it in a hero sale so I bought some more to get enough. And because I had the free MC to top off my purchased MC so I could buy all the stuff I wanted it made the purchase feel like better value. Maybe that illustrates the logic better.

Edited by Sjorpha, 08 July 2019 - 01:24 AM.

#40 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:56 AM

View PostPain G0D, on 08 July 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

Firstly this game is 7 years old and still kicking . Thats called making money .

Secondly these are virtual products being sold . It only cost money when being programmed into the game . Its pure profit for PGI whatever discount is slapped onto it . Posted Image PGI loses nothing by tossing a few virtual prizes and premium currency at players .

Everyone loves discounts . A hundred players buying 1 goodie on discount is a ton of cash .

I spent 40 bucks , because of this event . Do you think i was the only one ? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

QED. No, you are not the only one. But there are too few and most of the whales, which most F2P games need desperately to survive, seemed to have abandon this game too according to the last Dev Update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users