Minimum Damage For Assaults?

BattleMechs Balance General

101 replies to this topic

#1 MattPaul

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

Hey,

I know damage isn't the only parameter to judge performance in a match, but how much would be a minimum damage for Assault mechs?

#2 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

I'll go with Proton's ten damage per ton rule.

#3 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

0?

#4 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

If I remember correctly... the intelligentsia inferred at one time the minimum magic number was like 300 or so for an average player and like three times that for a good player.

#5 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:57 PM

I could post my screen shot of an assault with just 1 damage off my imgur act.

#6 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

Lots of factors; 100 pinpoint to the CT more valuable than 100 missile spread... etc. etc.

400ish damage without hiding at the back and no one will give you a hard time.

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

Not valid and a total stupid performance indicator. same issue as with matchscore for player ranking.

it seems that one generation of mwo players inherit all the stupid ideas of the former but never the good.

want damage? sure but you also need a factor to define the efficiency of your dealt damage.
this means more work than anybody would invest into mwo.

and for proton... yeah because raking damage in a third line dakka wolf was a very very difficult thing.

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

The obvious, but vague answer to your question is: "however much damage lets you punch out more tonnage than you brought in." Anyone who tries to put a concrete, definitive number on that is just trying to dumb it down for your convenience, and those numbers generally come from people who blow the high side off the bell curve. Those players are not average, and you cannot expect to match their performance unless you invest as much time and effort into the game as they have.

Pay more attention to your KMDDs and especially your solo kills than you do to your damage output. Inefficient and downright ineffectual gunnery (and weapon selection) can lead to huge damage numbers that ultimately contribute little to the win. Multiple solo kills always mean you had an impact. Pick a target, pick a vital component on that target, focus it until it goes down. You can do more good with 400 damage that yields three solo kills than you would have with twice that but lacking either killshots or KMDDs commensurate with that output.

#9 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 July 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Not valid and a total stupid performance indicator. same issue as with matchscore for player ranking.

it seems that one generation of mwo players inherit all the stupid ideas of the former but never the good.

want damage? sure but you also need a factor to define the efficiency of your dealt damage.
this means more work than anybody would invest into mwo.

and for proton... yeah because raking damage in a third line dakka wolf was a very very difficult thing.

LOL, WUT?????

Proton can literally succeed in any role at anything he wants to in the game especially in yolo q.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

if you aren't doing more than 300 you are in the wrong class. 500s are common for me. 1000+ isn't uncommon though. and if all you are doing is feeding squirrels, get a more mobile assault, or a heavy.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 July 2019 - 10:43 PM.

#11 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 July 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

if you aren't doing more than 300 you are in the wrong class. 500s are common for me.

Yeah I aim for the 10 but a good solid 500 is legit. Sometimes when you get blessed and land on a strong team it is super hard for anyone to over 500 especially if you aren't that fast.

Goals though and putting my best foot forward I am trying to reach for an ideal and push myself towards it.

#12 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

an assault breaking 100 damage is A-OK in my books. congratulations, you put in the absolute minimum possible effort.

#13 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:48 PM

Deal 600 and soak 600.

Or deal 1200 and soak 0.

... I guess you could do no damage and soak 1200 for the team in a vanguard fatlass if the team is actually around to benefit from it and still contribute to a decisive win. But that's getting way too meta theory for QP.

#14 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:36 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 19 July 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

I could post my screen shot of an assault with just 1 damage off my imgur act.

I had a 1 dmg 2 assist match on Alpine in a short range Urbie once

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:12 AM

View Postjjm1, on 19 July 2019 - 10:48 PM, said:

Deal 600 and soak 600.

Or deal 1200 and soak 0.

... I guess you could do no damage and soak 1200 for the team in a vanguard fatlass if the team is actually around to benefit from it and still contribute to a decisive win. But that's getting way too meta theory for QP.

tanking is a bad use of an assault. its like asking a medium to babysit assaults or asking a light to go scouting.

"role warfare"

Edited by LordNothing, 20 July 2019 - 12:13 AM.

#16 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:42 AM

Head shots. Count the head shots. Works for any class. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 20 July 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:14 AM

250 is my minimum acceptable level in any class/mech.

Of course it's not how much damage you do but how you apply it. In lights I'm getting it through 10+ assists and maybe a KMDD's, In assaults I'm scoring 3-4 KMDD's and half the assists. In a lurm boat, it's a totally different story.

#18 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 July 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

250 is my minimum acceptable level in any class/mech.

Of course it's not how much damage you do but how you apply it. In lights I'm getting it through 10+ assists and maybe a KMDD's, In assaults I'm scoring 3-4 KMDD's and half the assists. In a lurm boat, it's a totally different story.

Depending on the lrm boat used it should not be at all worried about kills or kmdd. It's the assist and map control you want to focus on. With all the ecm,stealth and nerfs to lrms mechs and small number of lrm tubes are not effective as before hence the rising number of assult lrm boats. I don't recall the last time I saw the hbk4j or other med lrm boats.

When a team works as a team lrm boats can dominate on a lot of maps with area denial. Team work is what made cw fun but I don't have the time to play it as much as I use to.

#19 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

any class and build should be able to pull 200 damage unless you were the first to get focused down or something or just caught an unlucky headshot. Anything below 100 tho.... oof.

#20 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

I'd say 200dmg/minute in a reasonably good build. If you can't shoot four times in a minute then maybe consider taking a different mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users