- - - - -

Back After A Long Hiatus

10 replies to this topic

#1 Yuuki Tatsuya

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

So I'm a player who has recently returned to the game after not playing for about 3ish years and am de gunking some rust from my iron bones.

Now onto my actual question; I decided to splurge a bit on a Vapor Eagle -A with C LB20 + x4 C SRM 6 and running an Xl 245.

I die A LOT...BUT I'm wondering something...I used to roll around in an Ilya muromets on my old account and did a lot of heavy mech play, so perhaps that's why?

I guess what I'm asking for in this thread is general tips on how to suck less in a medium mech, and if my current setup is even valid? Am I approaching medium play wrong to want to brawl and smash up enemy mechs like I was in my old heavies? And can I get some general tips on what I should be doing as a medium, positioning, general tactics etc...

Thanks!

~ Some old fogey that wants to have fun shooting giant robits with other giant robits.

#2 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:15 AM

That's a fun build. Just have to duck and cover alot. The best games I have in it involve taking advantage of bigger friendlies, being opportunistic with my shots, and immediately getting back behind cover if an assault looks my way. Later in the game I'll take a few more risks if its strategically important. Pinpoint builds on heavies and assaults are very dangerous to this mech. The fun part of it is that you can go toe to toe with facehuggers your size or smaller, and big mechs that are damaged.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:37 AM

Brawlings semi dead these days and quick acting/thinking required to do well. Its a risky enterprise

Maybe for an old fogey (Im older too) a longer range build would be better and more fun, keep your distance and you'll do more and die less IMO. So more fun.

On the vapor Eagle A which I don't use much, I have seen others use twin PPC's some jumpjets and a brace of heatsinks.
I seen another with twin ER-PPC's AND Quad SRM4 if I remember correctly, but I reckon your heat management may need to be good.

Personally I use some of the other Vapor Eagles to mount TRIPLE ER PPC's, which is pretty awesome for a 55ton mech, doh gets a tad hot.

Oh I forgot to mention some people boat ATM's, usually with a light TAG and a ER med lasor
(Twin ER Med backup lasors on some models)

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 27 July 2019 - 03:39 AM.

#4 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

The build sounds fine and has decent synergy.

One thing that will help is getting those Survival skills filled out. The Armor/Structure skills really help keep you in the fight longer. I would recommend maxing those in every build really.

With anything short range the key is not over-extending by pushing ahead of the team and getting outnumbered. Balancing patience and aggression is just something you have to learn over time. If you're too aggressive you get shredded too quickly. If you're too passive, your team gets shredded while you're sitting around not helping. Just try to keep your eyes on the minimap and move with the bulk of your team as they move. Try to put yourself in situations where there are more of you than there are of them.

Also, if you can fit an AMS with at least half a ton of ammo, you'll bump your average survival time up too. I'm personally a big fan of the item. Plus there are two AMS skills in the survival tree that really boost its effectiveness.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

..I used to roll around in an Ilya muromets on my old account and did a lot of heavy mech play, so perhaps that's why?

Just a fyi, that old account is still there. That will give you two accounts to play around on...

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 July 2019 - 05:18 AM, said:

Just a fyi, that old account is still there. That will give you two accounts to play around on...

It should also have a bunch of legacy skill points and suchlike.

#7 Yuuki Tatsuya

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 July 2019 - 05:18 AM, said:

View PostVoid Angel, on 28 July 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

It should also have a bunch of legacy skill points and suchlike.

I just wish I could D: old email attached to that account got compromised, and I can't remember the password to it. :< so a fresh start on a new account it is!

Edited by Yuuki Tatsuya, 28 July 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:57 PM

Ouch - recovery process didn't work for the email?

It seems like you should be able to email support: either the email provider or PGI.

#9 Yuuki Tatsuya

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 28 July 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

Ouch - recovery process didn't work for the email?

It seems like you should be able to email support: either the email provider or PGI.

Nope, tl;dr I made a goof by not linking more points of contact to get into it if I ever got locked out, and someone decided to take advantage of it. Had to change a lot of stuff around in order to keep afloat. Dx

View PostJman5, on 27 July 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

The build sounds fine and has decent synergy.

One thing that will help is getting those Survival skills filled out. The Armor/Structure skills really help keep you in the fight longer. I would recommend maxing those in every build really.

With anything short range the key is not over-extending by pushing ahead of the team and getting outnumbered. Balancing patience and aggression is just something you have to learn over time. If you're too aggressive you get shredded too quickly. If you're too passive, your team gets shredded while you're sitting around not helping. Just try to keep your eyes on the minimap and move with the bulk of your team as they move. Try to put yourself in situations where there are more of you than there are of them.

Also, if you can fit an AMS with at least half a ton of ammo, you'll bump your average survival time up too. I'm personally a big fan of the item. Plus there are two AMS skills in the survival tree that really boost its effectiveness.

I'll definitely give the AMS a try! Thanks!

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 27 July 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

Brawlings semi dead these days and quick acting/thinking required to do well. Its a risky enterprise

Maybe for an old fogey (Im older too) a longer range build would be better and more fun, keep your distance and you'll do more and die less IMO. So more fun.

On the vapor Eagle A which I don't use much, I have seen others use twin PPC's some jumpjets and a brace of heatsinks.
I seen another with twin ER-PPC's AND Quad SRM4 if I remember correctly, but I reckon your heat management may need to be good.

Personally I use some of the other Vapor Eagles to mount TRIPLE ER PPC's, which is pretty awesome for a 55ton mech, doh gets a tad hot.

Oh I forgot to mention some people boat ATM's, usually with a light TAG and a ER med lasor
(Twin ER Med backup lasors on some models)

Thanks for the tips!

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:10 AM

Ick- but maybe try PGI? It seems like there should be something they could do past the normal automated processes; I've had it done with phone games.

I mean, maybe not, but I hate to see you lose all that stuff because SomeJackass#842 stole your email...

#11 Garonis Buhallin

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:55 AM

I am a returning player, and old fogey as well. Thankfully I still have my account! I look forward to gaming with you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users