128 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:22 AM

So PGI went EPIC exclusive for MW5. I get that some who claim that the promised STEAM key was a key determinate for pre-order are upset by the switch, and as such feel justified for getting a refund. Same for all the folks who feel that EPIC is evil or dodgy, or just not a platform they want to deal with. Fine. No MW5 for all of you, no money for PGI from you.

But what I don't get from a lot of the posts I am seeing is that this is making some of the longest term players assert that not only will this result in them not purchasing MW5 but also that they are "done" with MWO as well. Why? You got all the MWO goodies for free now that you got your refund, so what is the problem with MWO? Is it suddenly no fun? Did it finally occur to you that PGI doesn't care about you? Do you think not playing a dying free game is going to punish them for the perceived wrong of how they are handling MW5? I mean of all the crap that has been done to this game over the years why is this the thing that has finally driven you to leave MWO?

Just curious.

#2 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 27 July 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

So PGI went EPIC exclusive for MW5. I get that some who claim that the promised STEAM key was a key determinate for pre-order are upset by the switch, and as such feel justified for getting a refund. Same for all the folks who feel that EPIC is evil or dodgy, or just not a platform they want to deal with. Fine. No MW5 for all of you, no money for PGI from you.

But what I don't get from a lot of the posts I am seeing is that this is making some of the longest term players assert that not only will this result in them not purchasing MW5 but also that they are "done" with MWO as well. Why? You got all the MWO goodies for free now that you got your refund, so what is the problem with MWO? Is it suddenly no fun? Did it finally occur to you that PGI doesn't care about you? Do you think not playing a dying free game is going to punish them for the perceived wrong of how they are handling MW5? I mean of all the crap that has been done to this game over the years why is this the thing that has finally driven you to leave MWO?

Just curious.

I believe as the logic goes, this is the game the PGI currently makes some money from. By removing themselves from the population, not only are they not giving PGI money by making purchases, they will no longer exist in the matchmaking pool thus leading to longer queue times. As queue times increase, progressively more and more people may decide to spend their time elsewhere, further compounding matchmaking issues and making even fewer people likely to spend money on the game. It's a means of punishing the company by sabotaging everyone else's good time without actually doing anything sinister.

Edited by Verilligo, 27 July 2019 - 06:49 AM.

#3 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

I stopped playing MWO after S7 patch but checking the patch notes regularly. I'm not really interested in MW5, I just want MWO to get fixed. Epic exclusivity announcements was basically PGI stating "we don't care, we don't think long term, we don't feel safe, we are really afraid of expiring licence, we need to get money ASAP to keep existing after Mechwarrior franchise goes to a better developer". MWO might be over at this point so there's no reason to care anymore.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 27 July 2019 - 06:49 AM, said:

It's a means of punishing the company by sabotaging everyone else's good time without actually doing anything sinister.

That's what I am having difficulty with. Play a game for some time, for some, nearly 8 years. Must have enjoyed the experience, no matter how much they complained. And now this EPIC decision, a decision that has nothing to do with MWO and their enjoyment of it, is what has finally made them want to "punish" PGI by no longer playing the game they have enjoyed for all that time. People are weird.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

i see it as a last straw on a very large pile of straws. its not like this is the first time pgi screwed us over. its as if they are holding our preferred franchise hostage and we are paying into their demands while they dole out crumbs. i had maintained that mwo was merely the way to fund the game they actually wanted to make and to test out ideas so that mw5 would be great. but it feels like another scam at this point.

as for mwo, it just hasn't been fun for awhile. i come back for events but then i realize that any loot gained at this point isnt far from being deleted permanently. they have completely killed off fp and solaris has always been a joke. and that leaves quick play, the unfleshed out arena shooter that is always the same. of course none of this has anything to do with mw5. mwo is a dying *****.

i think if people want their mechwarrior fix at this point the only game in town is living legends.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 July 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#6 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

Well all that, Russ says one thing and contradicts himself 5 minutes later, trying to obscure going Epic to the very last moment and all that PR bulls... doesnt really build confidence in "...we care for the community..." claims. For me personal, thats the last nail in the coffin, not that i have played recently but this move showed me clearly to move on and stop hoping for anything good coming for MWO or MW5.

Dunno if i can stop myself from coming to the forums to snatch up some news but i dont see myself playing MWO in the future because there wont be anything coming in the future. Because why waste your time on creating something else if you could have put that work in MWO in the first place? Because PGI moved on, so will i.

#7 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 27 July 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

That's what I am having difficulty with. Play a game for some time, for some, nearly 8 years. Must have enjoyed the experience, no matter how much they complained. And now this EPIC decision, a decision that has nothing to do with MWO and their enjoyment of it, is what has finally made them want to "punish" PGI by no longer playing the game they have enjoyed for all that time. People are weird.

I did... I did enjoy it... I enjoyed it so much I pumped over 2.5k into Mechwarrior over it's lifespan.

But I haven't been enjoying it lately, and with the decision for them to go EGS exclusive, while good for the company, ended up with them lying to the community. Something I've grown tired of from them over the years. As you can see, I was a legendary founder here... and I have the top tier pre-order from MW5... which under normal circumstances I would refund, however my situation is a little different than most.

See, my pre-order was given to me as a gift from my wife for my birthday earlier in the year, If I were to simply request a refund, it would be quite rude to my wife for having purchased this game for me, knowing my desire to play it.
Despite that, I now have to deal with the morality of my decision, as now, I am standing by the decision of a company and it's lies to it's playerbase.

not only that, earlier this year, on April 2nd, I made a post defending PGI from this very thing, I said it made no sense, given Russ was telling us all about his steam Workshop intergration with the game and it's modability and all. Now, suddenly, everything's on Epic... How do I know he won't lie about further upkeep for MWO anyway? How can I trust anything that comes out of his mouth, after all, this is the same man who promised us so much in MWO, only to reneg many of those promises... MWO was always supposed to be first person view, they added a 3pv camera against community wishes, they said there would NEVER be a coolant flush mechanic... we have the coolant flush consumable...The Island Comment, the push for E-sports over actual content while saying content was coming...

I remember all this stuff, I'm no goldfish, and this is all just part of the latest set of lies. So I'm done with MWO, I'll play MW5 because it was a gift from my wife, and I hope, I really, REALLY hope, this decision to go EGS exclusive doesn't bite them in the ***. But at the same time, I kinda hope it does, so many someone who won't lie to my face could pick up the franchise.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

What i find funny about the whole thing..

MWO was a game with it's very own launcher for a long time. So basically if you have been playing it you used a separate launcher no matter what else you played.

Most of the users use the PGI launcher.. so if they were going to play mech 5 they had to install a new launcher anyway. So does it really matter if it is steam or epic?

I say this as a person that uses steam with most of my games on steam, and nothing on epic. I can either get it on epic, Or hopefully have the option to get someplace else down the road. I really do not understand why people are so angry about it.

Again i say this as someone that has no plans on using epic at this point in time. Even if they never sold the pre-order with out any launcher system stated.. (they should have done that in the first place but i digress) People would still be raging about not wanting epic. There is a serious anti epic crowed out there, just like the ANTI UBI-soft and Origin crowd.

I guess i don't need fake outrage in my life.. If i don't like something a game company does i just move on and go play something i enjoy.. it's not like i don't have literally 400 games in my libraries, with a good 75 i bought with the idea of Meaning to play in the future.. Yes backlog for some of us is real.. It soo hard to pass up a game on sale for 2 bucks that you thought you would enjoy.. One day i will play you Bioshock 1-3.. the 5 bucks you cost me wont be a waste some day!!!!

the part that bums me out though is no steam workshop as that meant mod support and a very easy way to add/remove mods to your game. That is the only thing that sucks IMO.. Waiting for it to come out on another platform is not a big deal to me.

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 July 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#9 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

I gotta question to. Why does Epic make it "exclusive"? Is it because they know that if they dont add that "exclusive" crap to games put on their site, that no one will ever use Epic?

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 27 July 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

How do I know he won't lie about further upkeep for MWO anyway? How can I trust anything that comes out of his mouth, after all, this is the same man who promised us so much in MWO, only to reneg many of those promises... MWO was always supposed to be first person view, they added a 3pv camera against community wishes, they said there would NEVER be a coolant flush mechanic... we have the coolant flush consumable...The Island Comment, the push for E-sports over actual content while saying content was coming...

I remember all this stuff, I'm no goldfish, and this is all just part of the latest set of lies. So I'm done with MWO, I'll play MW5 because it was a gift from my wife, and I hope, I really, REALLY hope, this decision to go EGS exclusive doesn't bite them in the ***. But at the same time, I kinda hope it does, so many someone who won't lie to my face could pick up the franchise.

I don't trust him any more than you, I just don't see why someone, anyone, who's put up with all of his crap over tge years and has been enjoying MWO to at least some extent, would now decide that this latest "lie", which has nothing to do with MWO, would be the last straw to drive one from continuing to play MWO.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 27 July 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

I gotta question to. Why does Epic make it "exclusive"? Is it because they know that if they dont add that "exclusive" crap to games put on their site, that no one will ever use Epic?

Maybe.. But why not give steam some competition? That is only good for the consumer in the long run.

#12 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

Where is the competition when you can only buy at Epics? Stop picking up their line of PR BS. They are forcing their foot into this gameselling business by distorting the competition. Hoping that once you installed their launcher your resistance will fade. I mean its not as malicious as Shkrelis dickmove but still very shady.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

If you want competition and user friendlyness you go GoG!

EPIC is Monopoly in a different Skin.

#14 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostKotzi, on 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Where is the competition when you can only buy at Epics?

For. A. Year.

#15 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 July 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

For. A. Year.

Ye, where is that competition?

#16 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

Over on the three other platforms that probably offer similar games, that are going to have the game you're bitching about a year later?

#17 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

I think i know exactly the answer.

Aside from volatile people who don't really need any reason to slam the door.

Some people still cling to the game, because of hopes for improvements, or because of inertia of said hopes.
When you spent years hoping for MWO to become better, it is hard to let go, you just keep going, for maybe, just maybe, one day PGI will deliver.

The Epic fail was a good reminder on whom these hopes rely on.
And if there's no hope for improvements, why stay ?

I uninstalled the game short after the Solaris update. Then i lost hope for improvements because of PGI's major disconnect from the reality. And i had the Battletech game to scratch my itch, so i was no longer a hostage of my nostalgia.
But this spring i installed MWO back, buying into the "year of faction play". ********, in retrospective. Delivery went even worse then usual - exposing the maintenance mode.
Understanding that things will not get better has resurfaced. But for all these years i so got used to it, it was not enough.

And when i saw the news, i was laughing. Because it was enough to snap me out of the vicious circle of self-deceit and misplaced hopes. I was finally ready to let go.

I will wait for the loyalist features to be delivered to CW. I'll play few games, and then i probably will uninstall the game for good. I shall see when time comes.

Thus said, for people who already accepted the mediocrity and hopelessness of the game and decided to stay, recent events were not influential on their relation with MWO.

#18 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

Play a game for some time, for some, nearly 8 years. Must have enjoyed the experience, no matter how much they complained.

This is your fundamental misunderstanding. People suffered through it in anticipation of the actual promised gameplay, a functional faction warfare. The equipment needed to wage war needs to be leveled or your unit/faction is at a disadvantage. People suffered through QP as a necessary evil, not out of "joy".

Also periodic play(as proof of customers) and cash infusions would have been necessary for PGI to secure bank loans since they had no publisher. Again not done out of non-existant fun but pragmatism for something that was never ultimately delivered.

Edited by Spheroid, 27 July 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

Posted Image

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostKotzi, on 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Where is the competition when you can only buy at Epics? Stop picking up their line of PR BS. They are forcing their foot into this gameselling business by distorting the competition. Hoping that once you installed their launcher your resistance will fade. I mean its not as malicious as Shkrelis dickmove but still very shady.

Because if epics launcher grows and it has 100's of millions of users that would mean that it would be an actual competitive launcher/store system. How hard is that to figure out?

I wonder are you mad about all the other games that are "steam" only? gog only? origin only? Battlenet only? Ubisoft only? Do you say that all of them are "forcing" themselves into the game selling business by distorting competition?

Do you remember when steam launched? How many people said i will never use steam? I want my games on a disk! I was one of those people.. I didn't buy my first game on steam till November of 2011. I didn't really start using it till almost 2013 when i bought crusader kings II and Civ V.. *(CKII was a game i could never buy on a disk, or anyplace else at the time) Now i wonder why i was so resistance to steam.. the sales and how many games i've picked up for 1-3 dollars is staggering.. Tons of them the only place i can get them is on steam. they never even came to "on disk" or on a console, or any other market place. Should i have been mad about that too? How dare they not sell their game at my local store. Steam has been great to indy game makers that never had a way to market their games with out a publisher, Now there are choices.

Choices are NOT just about the consumer.. They are about the game developers having a CHOICE where to sell their games. That Means just as much, if not more than consumer side. A world were all there is, is steam and nothing else is not good anyway you slice it.

So maybe in 5 years epic will be a huge competition to steam, and then we can see prices, and which launcher will have better sales and what not. I don't have a crystal ball,. But i'm pretty sure this is not the end. Who knows, maybe in 10 years there will be many more launchers, and companies running their own stores, like blizzard.

I say this as a person that does not plan on using epic at this point in time too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users