44 replies to this topic

#1 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

Saw this on HPG. Just thought I'd share.

Credit to Blockpirat for making this.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

TheirPositionAtTheTime.jpeg

#3 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Yup anyone who arguing that they were not dishonest are not paying attention.

#4 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:34 PM

I didn't preorder MW5 for fear of shenanigans like this. Now I won't be buying it at all. Fare thee well, mechwarrior franchise. We had a good run.

#5 FatherSarge

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

I've heard some dishonest sounding people in my life. This has to be in the top 10. Checks all the boxes for something that comes off as a lie.

#6 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

Sounds like that under study of used car salesmen has paid off for improving russ' public speaking. Umm err HUH errr well moment yada yada err que card missing

#7 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

PGI shooting themselves in the foot once more. It's sad that this community is basically Stockholm Syndromed to them and they never lost the license.

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

Russ has always added the caveat of "our position at the time" because, I do believe, when he says something, it is his position at the time. The problem is their position has changed and in some major ways which has destroyed goodwill with many players. This has happened multiple times. I don't fault him or PGI for making changes but perhaps fault them for not having the foresight to prevent changes like this in the first place. I assume it was out of financial necessity more than anything. There appears to be a marketing support component too which, again, should help them sell more copies I guess. They really do need MW5 to be successful.

#9 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 29 July 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

Russ has always added the caveat of "our position at the time" because, I do believe, when he says something, it is his position at the time. The problem is their position has changed and in some major ways which has destroyed goodwill with many players. This has happened multiple times. I don't fault him or PGI for making changes but perhaps fault them for not having the foresight to prevent changes like this in the first place. I assume it was out of financial necessity more than anything. There appears to be a marketing support component too which, again, should help them sell more copies I guess. They really do need MW5 to be successful.

This is what pisses me off I wanted MW5 to be successful but at same time I can't ignore the dishonesty. It really bugs me.

#10 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I can't help wonder if PGI needed to announce they were going with Steam just to get Epic to the table. More over they probably needed to show them pre-order numbers to make them think it's going to be worth it for them. I don't know, I just wouldn't be surprised.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostMole, on 28 July 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

I didn't preorder MW5 for fear of shenanigans like this. Now I won't be buying it at all. Fare thee well, mechwarrior franchise. We had a good run.

this is the last time i preorder a game. ever.

the old ways are better. make game, sell game, profit. not profit, make something posing as a game, sell something posing as game, moar profit. or make shell of game, let people play for free, then sell them crumbs, then profit. im willing to pay real money for real games here and so are a lot of other people.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 July 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

Holy shite, did Russ do a podcast sober? That should have tipped everyone off there was some serious cash flow issues at the company.

#13 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hello,

I do want to clarify that back in April we did NOT have an agreement with EGS yet. So during that time that Russ spoke in that AMA back in April, there was indeed no plans or agreement signed with EGS yet and therefore he was answering that question truthfully. I just wanted to clear up this misunderstanding for those of you who think that we already had plans or a signing back in April, during the time of that AMA.

#14 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:30 PM

Mechwarrior Online 2

Like mechwarrior 2.... BUT ONLINE

:)

enjoy the show

let me know when you have mwo2 online running... talk to you then

#15 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostTina Benoit, on 29 July 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Hello,

I do want to clarify that back in April we did NOT have an agreement with EGS yet. So during that time that Russ spoke in that AMA back in April, there was indeed no plans or agreement signed with EGS yet and therefore he was answering that question truthfully. I just wanted to clear up this misunderstanding for those of you who think that we already had plans or a signing back in April, during the time of that AMA.

Hermes pls
or CBT head Atlas

#16 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Hello,

Thank You Tina, for being the only one to respond. At least some one has.

#17 Blockpirat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

So during that time that Russ spoke in that AMA back in April, there was indeed no plans or agreement signed with EGS yet and therefore he was answering that question truthfully.

I believe you when you say that the deal was not yet signed at the time of the AMA, which took place on the 10th of April.

According to Mr. Bullock the Epic exclusivity deal was signed in April, several days before the Steam key preorder period ended on the 30th.

So the contract must have been signed in the timeframe between the 11th and roughly the 27th. Could you clarify when exactly?

Am i correct in my assumption that such negotiations take time, presumably weeks? Mr. Bullock also mentioned that Epic first asked about exclusivity in November/December 2018 and that talks were resumed in April.

This knowledge, combined with his curious choice of words (repeatedly stressing "at the moment"), makes his statements in the April AMA seem suspicious. Truthful at the time, sure. But nevertheless arousing suspicions that he was carefully choosing his words so as not to reveal to the customers what was actually going on behind the scenes.

#18 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

Hello,

Whether that was on April or not is not the key. The switch to EGS is a complete PR disaster,

What are the grounds of assuming everyone is fine switching to EGS? Your company should have emailed everyone pre-ordered regarding the changes, let people to opt-in/refund if they agree to, rather than stating a refund deadline without notifying the customers regarding the changes and the existence of a deadline of refund.

#19 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

The grounds are; it doesn't matter how many people they pissed off because of exclusive bonus. It literally was that good, good enough that this wasn't a "calculated risk."

#20 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:07 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 29 July 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

The grounds are; it doesn't matter how many people they pissed off because of exclusive bonus. It literally was that good, good enough that this wasn't a "calculated risk."

Sounds like the case of Ford's Pinto in 1978 [Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co.], PGI keep silent because it is their best interest, if that is the case I am really disappointed. Unethical at best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users