So, Are There A Faq Somewhere Regarding Epic?

22 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

I'm not going to go in depth about how crappy Epic is. I think all the cancellation and the fact that cancellation was part of the announcement speaks louder.

(And mods, you guys realize your boss is the same guy that made MW5 right? So why you moving all threads to a less profile battletech discussion forum from the more visible general form when THERE ARE NO MW5 FORUM SETUP)

Anyways, enough of rant. I just want some answers:

1: Is the Epic Exclusive only on RELEASE, as in release exclusive? Or like, lifetime exclusive?
2: Sorta continuation of question 1, if it's only release exclusive only, will the game make it onto Steam eventually?
3: Will PGI still provide its own launcher even with the Epic release?

And especially no.3, which is a big issue that I think most people missed. I prepaid for the game because of the trust I have with PGI. Not with Epics. The end effect to consumer might be the same, where it might be 60 dollars pre-order or buy with EPic Game Store. But the fact is, I pre-ordered to receive service from PGI, not Epic. I think same concept applies with Steam. I have the right to refuse a 3rd party routing, who I DO NOT TRUST, whether it be Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, or god forbid, Origin. So, I think this is a major breach of trust if PGI does not provide its own MW5 launcher, but forcing Epic storefront download. (Again, zero trust with giving my personal info to Epic.)

So I have no issue with Epic Exclusive, as long as PGI still provide its own launcher. Then honestly, I am good.

Because otherwise, in a convoluted way, you can argue that PGI just sold our personal info to Epic for however much money that Epic threw at PGI. And that's not something we, as consumers, agreed to. And if that comes to pass, it's not the simple issue of cancelling pre-order. It's lawsuits.

---

Sorry I am a bit lag on the issue. I haven't logged into MWO for like months. But I feel, knowing how controversial Epic exclusive launch is, (and them clearly knowing, hence the offer of refund on the announcement page) there should at least be a FAQ explaining the situation right?

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

1 answer for all questions;

MW5 is an epic exclusive for one year; meaning it cannot otherwise be legally obtained from anywhere else for 1 year.

#3 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

even pigs own launcher?

#4 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 31 July 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

even pigs own launcher?

this would be great, and could possibly be legal given the sales occurred before the epic deal.. I dont think epic could really stop them from offering a download to preorders that happened before epics deal.. after all epic didnt buy PGI, they only bought the rights to sell on thier platform exclusively for a year from PGI..

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostJadePanther, on 31 July 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

this would be great, and could possibly be legal given the sales occurred before the epic deal..

Deals like that have terms; the deal is for exclusivity. PGI wants that money.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

more importantly will i get a steam key when the epic exclusive period is over?

#7 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 31 July 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

NO. You have to buy again on Steam. That's why people opt for refund.

#8 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

View Postingramli, on 31 July 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

NO. You have to buy again on Steam. That's why people opt for refund.

yep this.. refund it.. wait like 2 or so years, its not like you've waited 10-15 already for a mech game, then grab it on steam sale.. in the meantime use those dollars on something fun instead..

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:40 PM

its one of the things im pushing for as a reward for not canceling my preorder.

#10 Nicholas Hyde

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

to directly adress your question, razenWING, see the MW5 FAQ: https://mw5mercs.com/faq

#11 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

View PostNicholas Hyde, on 31 July 2019 - 09:41 PM, said:

to directly adress your question, razenWING, see the MW5 FAQ: https://mw5mercs.com/faq

see, what if my preorder is not redeemed through epic. I wait 1 year, then can I get a steam key? this is another thing dumb about epic. my friend list is already on steam

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:44 PM

IIRC from the AMA
Epic is 1 year exclusive and we don't know what other platforms it will be on afterwards. There are talks with Steam and GOG about a release on there platforms.
Also Russ said that you need EPIC just for the download, MW5 can be played offline except for the coop and even then when you know how to setup a private server-client like in old LAN days you should be able to go around the EPIC launcher. (Take that with a grain of salt...he sounded pretty vague on that).

They don't handout steamkeys now. One reason be the exclusive deal and the second be that they didn't had steamkeys to begin with and with the deal won't get any. They are currently try to figure out IF its possible to give people who wait a year without redeeming the EPIC code to have steamkeys instead. My guess is that they have to go through the fineprint of the deal to see if there is a hole to get around it. Anyway Russ set the limit for announceing that before the refund times runs out.

@Razenwing
I think one of the parts where people get realy upset about EPIC was that it copied your friendslist from steam? There was something about that but I don't know if they "fixed" that allready or not.

Edited by Nesutizale, 31 July 2019 - 11:48 PM.

#13 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:49 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 31 July 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

IIRC from the AMA
Epic is 1 year exclusive and we don't know what other platforms it will be on afterwards. There are talks with Steam and GOG about a release on there platforms.
Also Russ said that you need EPIC just for the download, MW5 can be played offline except for the coop and even then when you know how to setup a private server-client like in old LAN days you should be able to go around the EPIC launcher. (Take that with a grain of salt...he sounded pretty vague on that).

They don't handout steamkeys now. One reason be the exclusive deal and the second be that they didn't had steamkeys to begin with and with the deal won't get any. They are currently try to figure out IF its possible to give people who wait a year without redeeming the EPIC code to have steamkeys instead. My guess is that they have to go through the fineprint of the deal to see if there is a hole to get around it. Anyway Russ set the limit for announceing that before the refund times runs out.

@Razenwing
I think one of the parts where people get realy upset about EPIC was that it copied your friendslist from steam? There was something about that but I don't know if they "fixed" that allready or not.

assuming I'm understanding you correctly, epic is more scammy than I thought. so if I got.the itch and get the.game on epic, I just betrayed my friends into to epic?? even at Facebook's worst, they wouldn't do that

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

I think the official explanation from Epic was "steam does it too". Meaning there seams to be a process with all the launchers that they scan for games and when finding another store they scan them too. This goes for all launchers as far as the explenation goes but they are not allowed to share the data. So none of your friendslist should appear on the Epic launcher and no data should be given around.

Now I can't prove any of that, just say what I heard about it and depending on where you live there are or not certain laws that prevent that kind of data sharing.

Personaly I think that all and everyones data is allready somewhere in some form. So its up to you how much you share.
I allways use a dump-Email adress, use my real name only if there is no way around and so on. I never give away my creditcard numbers and use other means instead. Paypal is my most used middleman. I transfere money to it and they pay that to whoever I want it to go to.

With Epic I am less worried about the data leaks as I am worried about their buissness practices and problems I hear from users...but then there are people who had no problems so far and other who have.
This will be my first Epic titel as I payed PGI directly, so there won't be any money for Epic. I will try it out and when it dosn't work out I know that I won't visit that shop again. Like I never ever bought something from Uplay again.

#15 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 01 August 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

I think the official explanation from Epic was "steam does it too". Meaning there seams to be a process with all the launchers that they scan for games and when finding another store they scan them too. This goes for all launchers as far as the explenation goes but they are not allowed to share the data. So none of your friendslist should appear on the Epic launcher and no data should be given around.

Now I can't prove any of that, just say what I heard about it and depending on where you live there are or not certain laws that prevent that kind of data sharing.

Personaly I think that all and everyones data is allready somewhere in some form. So its up to you how much you share.
I allways use a dump-Email adress, use my real name only if there is no way around and so on. I never give away my creditcard numbers and use other means instead. Paypal is my most used middleman. I transfere money to it and they pay that to whoever I want it to go to.

With Epic I am less worried about the data leaks as I am worried about their buissness practices and problems I hear from users...but then there are people who had no problems so far and other who have.
This will be my first Epic titel as I payed PGI directly, so there won't be any money for Epic. I will try it out and when it dosn't work out I know that I won't visit that shop again. Like I never ever bought something from Uplay again.

Here's my thing about different game launchers... the less the better.

I am willing to pay for the offset for PGI to put on Steam (like a 6% difference in cut right? I forgot where I got the number wrong, but someone can correct me on this) Let's say 10%. Basically, I am willing to pay PGI 55 dollars for a 50 dollar game so that PGI can release on Steam. Like, I am willing to pay more to offset the cost for developer getting cut by Steam.

Because simply...

When I was still playing the BF series, I got Origin. And for some other game, I got Ubisoft. Honestly, when I was younger, my mentality was like... it's kinda annoying for just these few games on these separate launchers, but whatever, I really like the titles.

Well... like Epic now. Nothing is wrong with them in the beginning. Sure, less features than steam, but I get to play my titles, no harm no foul, right?

Well, after I stopped playing my Origin and Ubisoft titles. Leaving my account half abandoned. I got a random email years later telling me that I've been logged in from Iran. I checked, and realized my account (ps not simultaneous event of course, but the hack happened on both platforms is my point) has been logged into Vietnam, Congo, and some other weird countries. Iran was like the 5th, and basically only got alerted after like 6 months of unauthorized activities.

That's when I realized, **** these companies. No game titles, no matter how awesome, is worth leaving your person info everywhere.

Now, Steam may just be as vulnerable, but I log into Steam 24/7. So it's very obvious that if someone from Vietnam got into my account, I would know right away. Where as, see Origin and Ubisoft, alert me MONTHs after initial suspicious activities. My account has traveled to more terrorist states than I have.

I LOVE metro exodus. But for same reason, I am willing to wait 1 year for it to be on steam. I am not messing with niche launchers for just a few favorite titles ever again.

#16 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 31 July 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

1: Is the Epic Exclusive only on RELEASE, as in release exclusive? Or like, lifetime exclusive?
2: Sorta continuation of question 1, if it's only release exclusive only, will the game make it onto Steam eventually?
3: Will PGI still provide its own launcher even with the Epic release?

1. One year, allegedly.
2. Maybe, after the one year. No guarantees though.
3. Not as far as we know, and even if it was the currently standing information is that you'd have to buy it separately there.

View PostLordNothing, on 31 July 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

Not according to current information.

View PostLordNothing, on 31 July 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

its one of the things im pushing for as a reward for not canceling my preorder.
I'm pressuring support about a vague offhand remark russ supposedly made in one of the AMAs. For now, all I got out of them is that they will look into it, but nothing concrete.

Russ said a lot of things, and he isn't exactly a trustworthy party right now.
By the time you can find out for sure, you'll be past the refund window.

View PostrazenWing, on 01 August 2019 - 06:26 AM, said:

Now, Steam may just be as vulnerable, but I log into Steam 24/7. So it's very obvious that if someone from Vietnam got into my account, I would know right away. Where as, see Origin and Ubisoft, alert me MONTHs after initial suspicious activities. My account has traveled to more terrorist states than I have.

Been in a similar situation. My Origin, Uplay, BattleNet and Steam accounts all have 2FA now, as does my Google account.

Edited by Horseman, 01 August 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#17 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

@Razenwing
Personaly I would also prefere less, sometimes less is more but I can understand companies seaking a way to make more profit for themselfs.
So my current solution is to stick to as few as possible. I hope that then GOG 2.0 comes, they want to create a one-for-all launcher, this will finaly be kinda over. You would still need to buy stuff from the respective platform but after that you can just use GOG for everything else. I realy hope that will work.

As for hacking. I would also recommend, like Horseman, that you use two way authentication where its possible.
I am also waiting for Exodus and some other games.

@Horseman
Yes Russ credibility is low, also I listend back to some older stuff and yah he allways was kinda vuage about where it will be sold on. The FAQ was, IIRC the only place where it said steam key. Russ was allways "Yes we hope, we try, thats the plan" and so on.
Also I guessed that PGI will go Epic after talking to someone at a small company that also went Epic and I asked for the why.

I can understand the decision to go Epic and I am more pissed about the late date they announced it and that there wasn't any roundmail to inform all pre-order buyers.

Personaly I hope that he will come around and at least do what he promised at the AMA. More informations on the offline modus, new fotage of the game in action and if, for those that haven't refunded yet and can wait a year, will get steam key.

In general
I think a damn fine move would be to offer a reduced version, that is just the skirmish mode and basicly what we get as beta, as a "demo". I think offereing a free skirmish version that you can play with people no matter if they bought it or not be an awesome advertisement.
Do you remember those shareware versions of games and how they spread like wildfire? That is what MW5 would need to grab attention.

#18 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

Are they doing Paypal refunds for people who pre-ordered over six months ago?

#19 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:38 AM

View PostOmniseed, on 01 August 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

Are they doing Paypal refunds for people who pre-ordered over six months ago?
From what I've seen reported by other users, they do.

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:58 AM

View PostHorseman, on 01 August 2019 - 06:47 AM, said:

Russ said a lot of things, and he isn't exactly a trustworthy party right now.
By the time you can find out for sure, you'll be past the refund window.
From what I'm hearing it sounds like I was right.
And I'm very disappointed to be right in this case. :-(

Edited by Horseman, 16 December 2019 - 01:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users