11 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

With 3 Incursion matches in a row today, I was reminded just how terrible this mode is in FP. Frankly Conquest and Domination aren't that much better for different reasons. Many FP players (see the myriad of posts and polls on the subject) I know feel these modes are just glorified QP and not what FP should be about.

PGI actually had it right when they released CW (now FP) when it was just Siege. If memory serves, Counter Attack and Hold Territory came pretty close afterwards.

Counter Attack and Hold Territory offered completely new ways to play the Siege maps in that the defenders no longer had to guard the base and the attackers no longer had to take down the objectives. The result was often great fun and fights on different parts of the maps.

When Siege comes up in the new system I see an immediate and noticeable rise in players playing the mode.

Many FP players want a return to these game modes. Conquest, Domination, Incursion, and now Scouting, should be removed in favor of more Siege. However, Siege should also not force one side to do all the attacking like it seems to do now.

With the event system, it (unless I'm missing something) seems pretty easy to just give us the game mode we want to play. This would make a huge difference to the enjoyment of FP immediately while we wait for some other improvements.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

Conquest legit; agree that domination and especially incursion are a **** show.

I think you're rose colored glasses-ing many aspects of siege and especially the maps. Most of the maps are bad.

Edited by Prototelis, 31 July 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#3 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

include all quickplay maps in faction [set on skirmish].
include siege maps at least once a day.
have a dropdeck sale to pay for these changes.

invasion is fixed, forever, thankyou.

*add call-to-arms and leaderboard if you wish to spoil us and we will be able to play forever...

Edited by BROARL, 31 July 2019 - 07:02 PM.

#4 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

We need counterattack / hold territory back and incursion stinks!

I would get all emotional about it, warm feels of yesteryear babes.

#5 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:18 AM

View PostBROARL, on 31 July 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

include all quickplay maps in faction [set on skirmish].
include siege maps at least once a day.
have a dropdeck sale to pay for these changes.

invasion is fixed, forever, thankyou.

*add call-to-arms and leaderboard if you wish to spoil us and we will be able to play forever...

I'd be willing to compromise (and I suspect I'm not alone in this) by including the Skirmish maps. There are 6 Siege maps and, if my count is correct, 12 Skirmish maps. Set on equal rotation (I'd argue some maps should be on low rotation such as Boreal in Siege and Alpine/Polar in Skirmish) that would be 18 maps with Siege occurring about 33%. If we added Hold Territory and Counter Attack, then Siege is now 18 total maps/modes to Skirmish 12. That would mean Siege would occur about 60% of the time which is pretty great compared to what we have now.

Siege should just be in the regular rotation so people don't miss it because its only a certain window (unless that window is pretty long).

I agree with your other points.

Edited by Charles Sennet, 01 August 2019 - 03:22 AM.

#6 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:31 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 31 July 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

Conquest legit; agree that domination and especially incursion are a **** show.

I think you're rose colored glasses-ing many aspects of siege and especially the maps. Most of the maps are bad.

Sure Boreal is bad but the others are fun and result in some of the most unique gameplay in MWO:

- Emerald Taiga: fairly balanced for both the attackers and defenders, fantastic brawling map
- Grim Portico: despite the beta gate trap (which is easy to avoid) is fun and is energy-brawl friendly which is pretty unique
- Sulfurous Rift: 3 doors offers lots of opportunities and this map is one of the best in hold territory/counter attack mode
- Hellebore Springs: attackers have lots of high ground opportunities and the connector by the attackers DZ sees lots of late-game fights
- Vitric Forge: walls and platforms result in all sorts of fun brawls (a little too friendly to IS when defending though)

But perhaps you'd rather Nascar? -just kidding

#7 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:37 AM

I mean, why nascar when I can spend 2 minutes every wave drag racing to the ******* gate in hellbore?

Pass.

Emerald Taiga, and Grim Portico are the only good siege maps. The rest of them are garbage.

Edited by Prototelis, 01 August 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#8 Nathan White

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:10 AM

View PostCharles Sennet, on 01 August 2019 - 03:31 AM, said:

- Sulfurous Rift: 3 doors offers lots of opportunities and this map is one of the best in hold territory/counter attack mode

I hate playing on this map on attack side. This map to big, you just walking 2 or 3 minutes from dropzone to enemies gates, and base area to small - defenders can easily change their defence positions. You can just stay on the defenders dropzone and shoot everyone with ac2 spam from 1 position.

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Remove incursion, increase odds of rolling siege. Done.

#10 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 02 August 2019 - 06:23 PM, said:

Remove incursion, increase odds of rolling siege. Done.

Conquest, Domination, and Assault also have their issues. Just make it Skirmish in addition to Siege if we must have QP maps in FP.

#11 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

I wonder if Incursion could have its rules changed for CW.

Add bunkers onto the base targets, to kill sniping win.

Add SSRM and AC20 turrets to kill / impede rush win.

Profit?

#12 OldSchoolCav

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

Rotation should be Siege (not one sided, 8 hours of defend is also tedious), skirmish, and conquest. Conquest is not broken, it is one of the few QP modes that works better in FP. Adding in hold territory and counterattack would be pretty awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users