Mwo At The Age Of 46

60 replies to this topic

#1 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

First played Battle-tech the board-game in 1980's as a teen-ager. Had heard of Battle-droids, but played BT 1 year after release.

NOTICE: ONLY A FRIENDLY POST WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT TO TAKE FROM IT...NO NEED TO PUSH A POINT.

MWO is to me fantastic, even played in Beta.

40's is when the eyes start going, and though I had superiour vision, even 6/4, my reflexes are gone.

It's very fast how it drops off. I still can read the bottom line of an opticians chart from a six foot distance, but, close up things are dreadful. Not even a year passes when reading purpose glasses are useless.

So I bought a 65" 4k OLED...fantastic...but as I mentioned, the reflexes are gone.

Just a few days ago I got 4 kills in an Atlas, but 5 years ago I got 7 kills in a locust.

I'm always trying to read the map...where are my team going to go, where should I go?

But the beauty of MWO, is that mature players can still play. An assault is slow...and if you're that bad, get a BAP and streaks...Cyclops style.

You see, unlike games such as Doom, Unreal, DOTA 2, etc...MWO can be played by older players, who having incomes, if not time, can buy those mech packs and keep the game going.

Mechs classes are very much like life.

Young and zestful - Light mechs
Serious, but not deadly - Medium mechs
Life is our domain - Heavy mechs
Seen it all, done it all - Assault mechs

What I'm getting at is this...

MWO can be played across the age spectrum, and that is one of its defining characteristics.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Thank you for offering a plausible explanation for why assault pilots are ******* terrible.

#3 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostBlaizerP, on 06 August 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Thank you for offering a plausible explanation for why assault pilots are ******* terrible.

LOL, but it's true!

I love MWO forurms, anything the OP posts has to be attacked...freaking hilarious.

#4 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

Hey I can actually follow your notice on this one!!!

I am 43 with psoriatic arthritis that has effected the joints in my hands and feet especially. So my right hand especially index finger and thumb are deformed a bit and stiff. Am also a giant at 6'6" and 320lbs, so really fast hand speed wouldn't be something I'd have excelled at even in my twenties.

Get you with the eye thing too and got a 40" monitor which really helps.

All this and in quick play this month I managed to with knowledge and experience get into the 97/98th percentiles! (I use accts other than this one for quick play)

I don't think that I am actually in the upper crust of players but I do enjoy that I am not a complete drain or useless to any team that is stuck with me.

#5 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

View PostFeral Clown, on 06 August 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hey I can actually follow your notice on this one!!!

I am 43 with psoriatic arthritis that has effected the joints in my hands and feet especially. So my right hand especially index finger and thumb are deformed a bit and stiff. Am also a giant at 6'6" and 320lbs, so really fast hand speed wouldn't be something I'd have excelled at even in my twenties.

Get you with the eye thing too and got a 40" monitor which really helps.

All this and in quick play this month I managed to with knowledge and experience get into the 97/98th percentiles! (I use accts other than this one for quick play)

I don't think that I am actually in the upper crust of players but I do enjoy that I am not a complete drain or useless to any team that is stuck with me.

If this is all true, then you sound like a true-trooper, glad to have you aboard.

#6 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostJyrox, on 06 August 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

You see, unlike games such as Doom, Unreal, DOTA 2, etc...MWO can be played by older players, who having incomes, if not time, can buy those mech packs and keep the game going.

I don't believe this statement. it's an exaggeration.

all Mechwarrior titles could be played by anyone of any age, in fact, not just limited to this game but any game can be played by any age, disability, or ailment that a person may have.

Everything else I could really care less to disagree on, except maybe the streak cyclops.... if you want an effective streak based mech you should probably include a TAG as well, seeing that BAP can counter ECM within a certain range, TAG is reticle based and can neutralize stealth armor mechs, something BAP can't do in itself.

#7 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:42 PM

Wait til ya damn near sixtyPosted Image

#8 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 06 August 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Wait til ya damn near sixtyPosted Image

My heart is 26mm, I probably won't get ther Posted Image

https://www.mayoclin...es/syc-20374314

It's why I don't give a damn and have all the time in the world...

#9 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

I am damn near 60 but I won my first battle royale game a week ago.

#10 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostAnjian, on 06 August 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

I am damn near 60 but I won my first battle royale game a week ago.

I congratulate you.

#11 shadowcat67

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

51 year old light pilot.
Woot!

#12 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:29 PM

View Postshadowcat67, on 06 August 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

51 year old light pilot.
Woot!

Sir...I applaud your reflexes...

Song...

#13 Jyrox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

View Postshadowcat67, on 06 August 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

51 year old light pilot.
Woot!

Actually I recognise you.

Dunny dun...I try not to, rto polite and all.

Take no game as personal, but, I do see you...with or against...but from now on...with in name

#14 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostJyrox, on 06 August 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

My heart is 26mm, I probably won't get ther Posted Image

https://www.mayoclin...es/syc-20374314

It's why I don't give a damn and have all the time in the world...

I got a feeling you will don't worry

#15 Harlock69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 144 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

One of our unit members is a Vietnam Vet in his early 70's, and due to physical limitations, almost exclusively pilots Assault LRM or long range dakka boats, but has learned to use them to good effect.

#16 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Age 46?

Pffft.

Come back in 10 more years and we'll talk about it.

Mid 50's, color blind, astigmatism, lost all my hearing in the service 30 years ago, playing on a potato that goes down to single digit frames per second when I start getting hit, and most maps my fps never gets into the 20's.

Yeah, I know "Git Gud", right?

Whatever these man-children need to say to feel good about themselves.

#17 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

View PostUnnatural Growth, on 07 August 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Age 46?

Pffft.

Come back in 10 more years and we'll talk about it.

Mid 50's, color blind, astigmatism, lost all my hearing in the service 30 years ago, playing on a potato that goes down to single digit frames per second when I start getting hit, and most maps my fps never gets into the 20's.

Yeah, I know "Git Gud", right?

Whatever these man-children need to say to feel good about themselves.

I used to play on 7-12 fps until just after the clans when a friend donated me a spare PC. Funny thing is it seems while my pc got better I got worse.

I should also mention that I had two accounts, I stopped playing the first one.

Edited by Number767, 07 August 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#18 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:22 AM

My Father played MWO almost to his 80s (if he played any match in and beyond may 2015 he went north of 80) - it is possible and would be a Worlds better experience if PGI had stopped throwing stones in the way of this part of the playerbase for reasons of little to no impact on the match Outcome but catering to an alternative playstyle intolerant egozentric vocal minority.

MWO - the game that could have been playstyle, age and capability tolerant.

#19 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 08 August 2019 - 05:22 AM, said:

MWO - the game that could have been playstyle, age and capability tolerant.

?

Are you saying that you feel MWO is NOT tolerant of various play styles or that some players are intolerant?

I get that some of the more vocal high skill players may mock those of us who are of lower skill or are just are bad at the game for whatever reason, but that has nothing to do with the actual game play mechanics of MWO. I find MWO very forgiving of my old person proclivities even if they drive some players nuts. I’m old, often drunk, and can barely hold a mouse and I play everything from lorehole stock, mixed builds to meta builds and do equally mediocre in all of them. I play with some folks that are also as old as me, and some far older (at least one in his 70s), and some who have disabilities, and yet they too seem to make the game work for them as well if not to a superior level than I am capable of. So I am not sure where you are going with the “could have been playstyle, age and capability tolerant” aspect of your post.

#20 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

I do so - ofc you can play in all kind of certain ways but that is only ok as long as you do not win in a way the vocal egozentric minority believes does not fit the spirit of the true pure skill.

If you do they will use all their vocal force to threw any disturbing playstyle under the bus for obviously being op and unblanced and not skillful etc.

As long til it suddenly becomes their favourite playstyle and unsurprisingly everything very unsuddenly becomes totally blaanced and sklillful and it never was a Problem at all.

And you end up where MWO currently is...

Streaks went through such an cycle for example...

Edited by Thorqemada, 08 August 2019 - 09:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users