#1 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

No skill, Kit Fox Only, Mechwarrior 2!

Edited by Kilroy, 29 August 2019 - 11:04 AM.

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:53 AM

I've been listening to the series while I work (sneaking a peak here and there) and it is a fun run so far.

Ep.1...

I understand running modded builds and installing the weapons torso mounted. The mech is hard enough as it is, I think anyone would agree that he needs all the help he can get with that mech Posted Image.

I miss the Heat Vision as well. I think Enhanced Imaging would be cool too, however given the time frame of MW5, I kind of understand why it wouldn't be there. The satellite view would be great.

Hitboxes and weapons fire has always been wonky in MechWarrior 2 (even worse in MW2:Mercs). That was cheap that the turret was firing through the building to hit the mech, but sadly it wasn't surprising :/.

Lastly, I also love the music in MW2. It still has to be one of my favorite game soundtracks (up there with FTL and C&C).

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 08 August 2019 - 02:57 AM.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

The Betas heat vision wasn't pulled out because PGI dosn't allow fun but because it cost to much performace. That is what I remember.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 August 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

The Betas heat vision wasn't pulled out because PGI dosn't allow fun but because it cost to much performace. That is what I remember.

I was under the impression that the original heat vision was too overpowered, and that is why it was changed to the one we have today.

Back in the day with the old heat vision, I could see enemy mechs moving at spawn clear across Forest Colony, and because the map was smaller at the time, sniper builds could ping players right off the bat.

I think that is why the new heat vision doesn't have the range, and also doesn't have the stark red/blue contrast of the original vision.

I could be wrong about this, but that is how I seem to be remembering it. Things like inverse kinetics were a performance thing, and that is why it was removed. This may be true for knock-down too, although it may also be due to it being abused as a bullying tactic. That one is hard to say because there was massive rubber-banding of mechs upon knockdown, and there is also footage of Russ being stun locked from knockdowns, so the actual reason may be one, the other, or both of those reasons.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

You are right that heat vision and night where both reduced in range because the data showed that people where using it to an unfair advantage and basicly play the game in that vision only.

Still like with lots of stuff from the Beta it was to resource intensive. Same problem where those corcsrew (I thats what its called) missile flightpath. Very cool to look at but to complex in fligthpath.
Overall I remember the beta, early game to look much better then what we had later on and it was still damn CPU heavy.
PGI said in one interview or AMA that the way they did stuff in MWO, espacialy how the mechs are build, is something that they should have done differently but its to late to change now. Also they changed it for MW5 so lets hope performance will be better with it.

As for your little KitFox challange, I hope you go through with it, its an cool idea and I feel nostalgic seeing MW2 again.
PS: I think I never torso twisted back then? Can't remember but I think I only realy started to use in when I played MWO.

Edited by Nesutizale, 08 August 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#6 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far. I'll try to upload as frequently as I am able.

#7 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:26 PM

Ack! The std kitfox is a deathtrap in MW2. No torso twist and no JJ's with super light armor make it suicidal for all but the most minor engagements. Kilroy, you are far braver soul than I.

Edit: Just watched video 7. When you said "catharsis" and switched to a MAD IIC I did a perfect spit-take.

Well played. Bravo.

Edited by Rorik Thrumsalr, 08 August 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:37 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 August 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

As someone that was there, the game had two major issues with it....but neither of them had anything to do with performance. Supported with videos including two from that early-closed-beta performance-at-a-crawl. As well as videos using the thermal vision for almost the entire fight, both in slow and fast mechs, with no performance hits.
Spoiler

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:46 AM

Interesting, didn't know that. I thought I remebered that it had something to do with performance...well not beeing able to see the envoirment also hits performace...yours by running into things but yah thats a different performance. ^_^

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:44 AM

Thank's for the info Koniving, that was extremely interesting. I had always assumed it was something different. Thank you for shedding light on the reasons why it was removed.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 12 August 2019 - 02:44 AM, said:

Thank's for the info Koniving, that was extremely interesting. I had always assumed it was something different. Thank you for shedding light on the reasons why it was removed.

If you think about it, thermal vision with a kilometer's worth of distance is supposed to look like this.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now find the Battlemech and remember its blue when it's surface is cold and red when overheating. So in general use and combat, a mech would have been varying colors between the two (purple if I remember though yellow would have made more sense and here it would have blended better). And when it is powered off, it'll be nearly invisible among these....but not nearly as invisible as they were in closed beta's version in which the entire color effect could disappear if heat was 0 (or below and yes there's a below 0) and power was off.

And that's at night from a drone, meaning it was removed from the heat. Something that's in with the heat/generating heat would have an even harder time. Should the sun have been up, the sky would also be showing heat particularly on a sunny day, giving quite a backdrop.
Posted Image
These are also about winter, and the redder buildings are bleeding their heat due to poor insulation. The article was about wasted heat energy while heating buildings and energy consumption/waste.
Which brings up another thing, mechs are very well insulated... The only parts that should be illuminating, short of areas of their surface hit by lasers/flamers/other weapons would be their weapon barrels and exhaust ports for the heatsinks.. of course I could see them illuminating when they get seriously hot...which is another big thing PGI lacks any effects for. Distortions from heat emissions, possible smoke (probably not realistic but might help portray the image; appropriate if there was a coolant leak though even if the leak stops the stuff is gonna steam off), etc.

Mech armor in the Techmanual, in the BattleTechnology magazines (where it is first mentioned) and in the Battletech Battlemech Manual (2018) is stated to have amazing heat distribution properties so the heat from weapons fire and the like dissipates within just seconds without intervention from the heatsinks. This is why PPCs and lasers don't transfer any heat energy... and apparently why flamers have to be "switched" to a mode to generate heat in the mech. (To be honest that doesn't make any sense, but if you were to flame the heat exhaust ports......)

Anyway. There's no mention of this ability by the structure, so... as armor strips the more you should show up on thermals, even if it is just floating blobs shaped like your exposed structure.

------------

But back to PGI.
In order to fix thermals to not be so unfair, every map would need every asset having an established heat value. Some of the smoke and flames on River City don't even show up on thermals because they aren't set. It was simpler to say Screw it and take it out. Since the color is basically white or black, the (edit: lack of) various distinct colors makes it harder to spot a specific part of the shape and go "I've got your head!"

And while the balance is a bit better, the game is worse for it.

Edited by Koniving, 14 August 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#12 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Part 8 is up now!

#13 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:33 PM

After a week or so, I finally continue. The Golden Spade mission with a Kit Fox is uh... yeah... You'll see.

#14 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

Ouch....PPC sniping just won't do this time around I guess.

Edited by Rorik Thrumsalr, 20 August 2019 - 09:59 PM.

#15 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:26 AM

Just thought, are there any mods for MW2 games to update graphics? I mean when Minecraft or Quake gets raytraceing, how about MW2?

#16 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:06 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 21 August 2019 - 03:26 AM, said:

Just thought, are there any mods for MW2 games to update graphics? I mean when Minecraft or Quake gets raytraceing, how about MW2?

There were the titanium and 3d accelerated versions, but I always found the original to look best and feel best. There is a mod somewhere around that lets you change the draw distance. That's the hardest part about replaying it, not being able to see more than 750m away.

#17 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

How did you get the game to run?

#18 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostSurn, on 21 August 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

How did you get the game to run?

View PostRorik Thrumsalr, on 21 August 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

There is a mod somewhere around that lets you change the draw distance. T

I use MechVM. You can get it from http://www.mechvm.org/

It's pretty simple, assuming you have the actual disc. If not you need the iso/bin file and to mount it to a virtual drive with something like Daemon Tools. Once you have that just click install on the MechVM menu and you should be ready to go.

In the MechVM files there is an executable called _farPatcher which will bring up a DOS prompt where you can edit the draw distance. This can cause some minor issues in the game but it's definitely worth it. I set mine in these videos (after Silver Staff) to 1200 meters. Simply type that and hit enter.

#19 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

And finally finishing off the Wolf Campaign!

#20 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users