61 replies to this topic

#21 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

One tactic I've only seen once on this map that really could be used more in skirmish or domination, is everyone on the team goes basement.

The one time I saw it, it caught opposite team off guard. Basically they took top and realized no one was there. A few people wandered in to the basement and died leaving the basement team with a 12 v 9.

People don't like to do it because it usually leads to boring games. You often wind up in a stalemate where the only winning move for either team is to do nothing and hope the other side screws up or gets impatient first.

The only time I think it's smart to hole up in the basement is when you're down in kills and trying to make a last stand.

#22 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

HPG is ridiculously easy to fix. Build a wall. Bisect the center field in half with the wall stopping at the top center. It would force brawling down below for the non JJ mechs that can't get over the wall and break up nascarring immediately.

#23 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

You can add Canyon Network and Hibernal Rift to the list of maps that almost always turn in to nascar

#24 Wild_Alaskan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 159 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostBrizna, on 13 August 2019 - 12:47 AM, said:

For all the claims that Nascar is hated, most popular maps have plenty of it and maps where nascaring is not possible such as Terra Therma are terribly unpopular.

Terra Therma is unpopular because it's hot. Other maps are hotter, but the majority of pugs don't realize this. It probably doesn't help the misconception that there's lava everywhere.

#25 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

View PostWild_Alaskan, on 14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Terra Therma is unpopular because it's hot. Other maps are hotter, but the majority of pugs don't realize this. It probably doesn't help the misconception that there's lava everywhere.

I wasn't aware there were hotter maps than Terra Therma -25% dissipation, -20% capacity
Well even if there are, those lava trenches are in annoying positions sometimes and definitely a noob trap since theres good cover there Posted Image

#26 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostWild_Alaskan, on 14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

PGI fixed the map heats a year ago. Terra therma is now the hottest map by a clear margin.

#27 catsonmeth

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

OP sounds like the kind of guy who sits on the ramp with an assault, then NASCARs when red takes the top.

#28 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

HPG is the best map, such a shame they decided to make it rare in the rotation.

#29 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:21 AM

I've tried to be more proactive with this map when it comes up. You have to make it quite clear to get to the top and hold it and resist the urge to poke or get baited off the top. Of course you have to rush there and repeat yourself several time to try and get other to join you. The times you actually get a cooperative team that listens the matches are pretty good.

The problem is this means that voice coms are mandatory for this map and you have to be quite meaningful with instructions. Also stress NO NASCAR!

#30 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:32 AM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 12 August 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

The thing about HPG is the Assaults can keep up or even get to the front by cutting under or over the center. If im playing my slow mechs I always cut under and hit the front of the pack. As opposed to Canyon Network...that's the one you need to complain about.

Do you know that Canyon has this really nice top-shortcut where you can punish the rotating enemy just as well with your slow mechs? Posted Image
Personally i'd avoid HPG basement in many assault builds because you have no escape route if you run into lights or multiple enemies. I feel much safer on top where i can drop in any direction quite fast if things get too hot.

Edited by Daggett, 04 November 2019 - 05:33 AM.

#31 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:00 AM

Just about every map has a center. Canyon Network has it, Solaris has it, Caustic has it, HPG has it, Terra Therma. The only maps that don't really have it are Frozen City new and classic and Forest Colony new and classic. Maybe River city too, but you can substitute that dumb looking building in the middle of nothing. People still find a way to nascar though since everyone typically gets as close as possible without breaking cover and rotating.

The folks that want to "break the meta" typically ends up losing anyways. Just how QP works now.

Edited by DrtyDshSoap, 04 November 2019 - 10:02 AM.

#32 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

there is a slight variation of tactics that might work for you guys

you see the the lighter faster mechs reach the center of the map first then they start to flank/rotate

some times you can meet these light fast mechs head on and take down a few mechs real quick

(works really good on Solaris)

I wont get into complaining about running for the center of the map from the start a match

#33 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 November 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

there is a slight variation of tactics that might work for you guys

you see the the lighter faster mechs reach the center of the map first then they start to flank/rotate

some times you can meet these light fast mechs head on and take down a few mechs real quick

(works really good on Solaris)

Can confirm that, cought even much better players than me off-guard on Solaris by awaiting them. Although i would recommend using a decently fast mech for that because it won't take long for their big guys to arrive at the murder scene. Posted Image

Proof:
https://clips.twitch...musedApeCoolCat

Edited by Daggett, 04 November 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#34 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:55 PM

View PostDaggett, on 04 November 2019 - 05:32 AM, said:

Do you know that Canyon has this really nice top-shortcut where you can punish the rotating enemy just as well with your slow mechs? Posted Image
Personally i'd avoid HPG basement in many assault builds because you have no escape route if you run into lights or multiple enemies. I feel much safer on top where i can drop in any direction quite fast if things get too hot.

With Canyon you don't have multiple routes as you do in HPG, because you can go under on the HPG map. If you sit on top in Canyon you will get shot from every angle and its a prime place to have an artillery dropped on your head, where as on HGP you have a roof on top to avoid the artillery, you still get shot from every angle tho. In an slow mech when you are under in HPG you can back yourself up in a corner or a wall and blast the little buggers, this does not work if you don't unlock your arms however. No an argument, just a response with my point of view :)

#35 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

Basement bad on HPG.

Use as a shortcut at your own risk.

Top not the defacto best place to be. If you start with spine on the right thats where I like to go; you have more places to go if things are ******.

#36 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

One tactic I've only seen once on this map that really could be used more in skirmish or domination, is everyone on the team goes basement. The one time I saw it, it caught opposite team off guard. Basically they took top and realized no one was there. A few people wandered in to the basement and died leaving the basement team with a 12 v 9.

The one time I was on a team that did that, we lost 12-11. And no one in the 11 did any fighting at all for the whole match.

#37 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

View Postmad kat, on 03 November 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

I've tried to be more proactive with this map when it comes up. You have to make it quite clear to get to the top and hold it and resist the urge to poke or get baited off the top. Of course you have to rush there and repeat yourself several time to try and get other to join you. The times you actually get a cooperative team that listens the matches are pretty good.

The problem is this means that voice coms are mandatory for this map and you have to be quite meaningful with instructions. Also stress NO NASCAR!

Their is other tactical moves other than going (take) top center, or basement. Waiting at drop with the assaults, Take up positions in area. Done ambushes (specially in conquests). Been done and it is fun. Those days are gone by the salts and Tier, stat, system. But to many demand (Take top) center is not easy to get out of now, or you will be alone. So, no choice but to do the same stuff over and over, looking for good positions in the lines. Goes for all maps/game types.

#38 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

we could turn it into a snow map, that certainly improved the nascar on canyon network canada edition.

#39 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:40 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 04 November 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

we could turn it into a snow map, that certainly improved the nascar on canyon network canada edition.

Yes! And add heavy fog! And an overbright skybox, too!

#40 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:27 PM

AFAIK people tend to NASCAR on every map, except FP maps obviously. PGIs map design might not be the best, but blaming that instead of bad players stupidity is kinda weird.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users