61 replies to this topic

#1 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

Ok i really don't get the obsession with why people keep voting for this map. I'd comfortably bet that 85%+ of matches on it are just blindly run in a circle while three mechs fool themselves they can 'take the top' .

The central uplink satelite area needs moving off to one side or at least have a large wall across one side to prevent potato rotato.

I'm fed up with the same predictable outcome when the lemmings pick this map. The temptation to quit and go and play on polar Highlands and even get lurmed to death is more appealing than seeing HPG get picked.

#2 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

Its not the Map its the player, quit blaming behavior of people on maps. No matter where you put the Central point they will rotate. The thing about HPG is the Assaults can keep up or even get to the front by cutting under or over the center. If im playing my slow mechs I always cut under and hit the front of the pack. As opposed to Canyon Network...that's the one you need to complain about.

Edited by GeminiWolf, 12 August 2019 - 04:15 PM.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

My xp on hpg is its 80% fight for the top. Rarely you get a wall sniper that you have to chase at end of match. People lemming to it so much I've won assault mode by getting a team to just base rush keeping assaults covering one way with meds and hevs at the other with lights on the base.

Out of all the maps I like canyon the most as it offers the most ways to play. Most my mechs that can have jjs have two just for that map to get around it easier.

#4 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Its really a battle for top
If you take top, then you drive them off the ramps. Enemy team starts nascar, then your drop their assualt lance and isolated targets and go from there

If you can't take top, then you must stop as a team and setup a firing line. Take the bridge-like side angles to hit not only the top people going for a peek, but also the enemy nascar coming around

Its not really the map design, its lazy tactics

Edited by Gristle Missile, 12 August 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#5 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

View Postmad kat, on 12 August 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Ok i really don't get the obsession with why people keep voting for this map. I'd comfortably bet that 85%+ of matches on it are just blindly run in a circle while three mechs fool themselves they can 'take the top' .

The central uplink satelite area needs moving off to one side or at least have a large wall across one side to prevent potato rotato.

I'm fed up with the same predictable outcome when the lemmings pick this map. The temptation to quit and go and play on polar Highlands and even get lurmed to death is more appealing than seeing HPG get picked.

I totally agree, and been fighting this problem for years. The argument is not an easy one. Their is other tactics, I have brought up, but many will not follow. Pilots have this addiction, that if change, they will start getting that withdraw. Fear, shaking, sweat, and then yell out. Someone that speaks up any tactical move, other than get top, center, I will darn be first to take the move. Because it is change, fun, different. But if you get domination, nascar and taking center top, is the only move.

Edited by GuardDogg, 12 August 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

If you are not building your mechs to keep pace in quick play you are doing it wrong.

Nascar is beautiful and nascar is life.

It's just the way it is and if you don't like it you are out of luck. Not like at this point in maintenance mode there is any chances of map reworks.

So instead of wanting the current play to adapt to what you want, learn to adapt to how the game is being played.

#7 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:00 PM

Go fast, turn left, shoot robits. These are the 'pillars' of PGI map design.

#8 Nicholas Hyde

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

The "Daily Whine"-Thread is not sufficient anymore?

#9 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:27 PM

HPG is fine.

If they move the center platform to the side you're just going to rotate there. Stop crying and learn how the game is played.

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:13 AM

It doesn't always work but if you're in an assault mech moving at 50kph, then quickly survey what your teammates want to do, not by asking, but by looking at the mini-map. If some them are taking the top, go there and secure it but be ready to drop down the ledge that is closest to you. Then try another ramp but if you're near the elevated bridges, then try getting on top of those but continuing to move with the NASCAR so that you can keep shooting.

The thing to do is to NASCAR faster by taking shortcuts.

#11 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:47 AM

HPG:

Fast contact with enemy
No fog/trees obscuring view
Cold temperature
Easy to learn
Basement and top offer some tactical options to basic Nascar.
Nascar isn't as bad as some people put it and many people like it.

Hence, HPG == Popular.

For all the claims that Nascar is hated, most popular maps have plenty of it and maps where nascaring is not possible such as Terra Therma are terribly unpopular.

Btw I do hate Nascar, or at least I am very tired of it. But just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't see why people do it and that it often works! Hell even leaving assaults to die alone can work provided their misery diverts enough enemies to allow to crush the rest by the happy nascar bunch.... I just hope for more quality matches with tactical variations and think of people who nascar often that they are simply selfish players who know nothing or care not about team play.

#12 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

Funny thing folks ... a few months ago OP started another topic with the exact same message about Canyon Network. And not 30 mins after he did I happened to be in a match against him ... on Canyon Network ... and who do you think was the first mech in the opposing team nascar rotato-potatoe? ... Thats right, none other but our dearest OP.

[/thread]

Edit: Here is the thread I've mentioned ... Apparently my "name and shame" (lol) has been edited by Tina two months after it was posted (lol x2), but she didn't bother cleaning up the quote (lol x3), so I've screened it just in case. Also, the thread was about nascar in general, not just Canyon, but it hardly changes anything.

Posted Image

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 13 August 2019 - 01:31 AM.

#13 BIOHAZARD

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

I happen to agree, although I think HPG and Canyon are fine as maps go in MWO.

The main reason for nascar in this game is lack of cover on existing maps that would legitimate tactics and good fire exchange. Since most terrain is open, approach to enemy mechs can happen only via certain corridors. And since mechs have different speeds, matches tend to move to nascar because:

1.It's boring to wait and getting into a fight requires going towards the enemy,
2.It's easier to shoot someone in the back, and it works,
3.It's pointless to stay and protect slower mechs, since people are generally crap at this anyways (and slow mech can't be used as stationary because there is NO FREAKIN' COVER!),
4. and if the team is good, there is a good chance it will work so why not.

And if its bad, you get a resolution to the match quickly, leave it and jump on another match, and forget about this bs because its just a computer game and one can't be bothered.

Here's a good one: what qualities of layout make a map good for an online shooter?

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Even in maps with copious amounts of cover nascar still happens. Adapt.

#15 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

This is why I never hold "R" anyway. To hell with the LRM boats!

#16 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

The only map issue with HPG Manifold is Bravo Spawn for Skirmish mode. It's still easily manageable even when an assault spawns there, but it's a narrow window.

View Postmad kat, on 12 August 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

And put what in it's place? Open space? Great, you've created smaller Polar Highlands and given people no where to go if someone is sniping from atop the outer ring. Moving central features away only makes them ignored. Go look at what happened with Terra Therma. They shifted that central lava ring to the side and no one goes near it.

People like HPG manifold because it allows for a wide range of builds to succeed. When you turn it into an open space map, it becomes a long range poke-trade game.

Edited by Jman5, 13 August 2019 - 07:21 AM.

#17 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

One tactic I've only seen once on this map that really could be used more in skirmish or domination, is everyone on the team goes basement.

The one time I saw it, it caught opposite team off guard. Basically they took top and realized no one was there. A few people wandered in to the basement and died leaving the basement team with a 12 v 9.

Edited by Sagara Sousuke 011011001, 13 August 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

One tactic I've only seen once on this map that really could be used more in skirmish or domination, is everyone on the team goes basement.

NO.

#19 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

shut up... HPG is the best map in the game... people will nascar no matter what

#20 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK