18 replies to this topic

#1 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I used to run dual uac 10's with 4 heavy medium lasers and was regularly pulling 600-800 with 2-4 kills and 3-6 assists.

I decided to change it up a bit and started running dual uac 20's with 4 heavy mediums and it sucks like there is no tomorrow. I regularly finish sub 300 with MAYBE 1 kill.

Any thoughts about why that might be? I should be popping out 20 more points per salvo with the 20 instead of the 10's.

I really want to understand why it performs so much worse. I dont feel it is for lack of armor. I think I dropped a couple of heat sinks and some ammo to make room for the 20's. I am still running something like 1.40ish heat vs the 1.5ish before the change. That cant be that big of a difference can it? Or 1 ton or armor?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

A. Atrociously slow projectile velocity reduces accuracy, particularly against mobile targets.

B. Shorter optimal range reduces the number of opportunities you have to shoot stuff.

C. UAC/20s stay jammed for an ungodly long duration, while UAC/10s recover at a more reasonable rate. Basically you have more downtime.

D. Fewer heatsinks and hotter main guns will also increase your downtime.

TL;DR: UAC/20s are poo poo.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

What FupDup said.

I might try 2Gauss and the rest MPLs.

#4 Nicholas Hyde

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Noone's going to address the elephant in the room, i guess, which would be ghost heat of the dual UAC20s. Also, why not try meta? Dual Gauss and 6 ER ML or even 2 Gauss, 2 ER LL, 4 ER ML.

#5 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:13 PM

I ran the same dual UAC10s too, but use medium pulses instead.

I have tried UAC20s but on other mechs before I determined it was crap to continue with the weapon.

#6 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

Either build is a waste.

It has six energy hardpoints so use em.

If you insist on uac's run two tens and six med pulse.

#7 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

View Postterascque, on 15 August 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I used to run dual uac 10's with 4 heavy medium lasers and was regularly pulling 600-800 with 2-4 kills and 3-6 assists.

I decided to change it up a bit and started running dual uac 20's with 4 heavy mediums and it sucks like there is no tomorrow. I regularly finish sub 300 with MAYBE 1 kill.

Any thoughts about why that might be? I should be popping out 20 more points per salvo with the 20 instead of the 10's.

I really want to understand why it performs so much worse. I dont feel it is for lack of armor. I think I dropped a couple of heat sinks and some ammo to make room for the 20's. I am still running something like 1.40ish heat vs the 1.5ish before the change. That cant be that big of a difference can it? Or 1 ton or armor?

Go back to two 10s and tell me how you're doing it. I can't squeeze nearly that kind of damage out of a Deathstrike! Posted Image

#8 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:08 AM

Why not gauss vomit with a mech that is awesome gauss vomit mech?
If you want to dakka with MK2 why not just MKII-B ? (Yes Deathstrike has quirks but still not as good)

and IMO UAC20 is trash unless you can run two of them without ghost heat and even then they are only ok'ish.

#9 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

PGI has gone out of its way to make the AC/20 family of weapons as undesirable as possible. Short range, slow projectiles, high heat, extremely limited HSL brackets, maximum critical allocation inefficiency, low ammo per ton, and unbelievably long jam rates for the UAC versions. It's really not rocket science as to why any build featuring the UAC/20 sucks balls.

#10 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostCurccu, on 16 August 2019 - 02:08 AM, said:

Why not gauss vomit with a mech that is awesome gauss vomit mech?
If you want to dakka with MK2 why not just MKII-B ? (Yes Deathstrike has quirks but still not as good)

and IMO UAC20 is trash unless you can run two of them without ghost heat and even then they are only ok'ish.

Gauss vomits fun there like hole punches for mech armor DS make great one my preferred gauss vomit truly vomits the guass https://mech.nav-alp...#1ecf5025_ON1-P dual light guass protector 32% cool down but yea that the way to go with the DS guass.

Edited by SirSmokes, 16 August 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#11 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

I had some success with the MCII-1 sporting two LB20-X and four spl. I decided to try a similar build on the DS so I loaded up 2xLB20, 4xersl on top of an XL390 engine. Totally un-meta, doesn't take advantage of its quirks, but a decent c-bill earner.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 16 August 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#12 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

The 20's suck. Got it. Thank you for letting me know.

As far as the meta goes, if you perform worse using the meta, why use it?? I get it a guass shot is more pinpoint the the uac's, but when I use guass rifles I get the same performance as using the uac 20's. In other words, poor.

I cant hit the broad side of a moving barn. If the target moves, I just wasted the shot. I am unable to be mobile while holding down the charge button. Its to much for me to torso twist, move, and hold down a button for 2 seconds. In other words, I suck.

I know Medium lasers are preferred over running the Heavy medium lasers, but I like the substantially higher alpha over the dps of the medium lasers.

I am not really interested in DPS with this build, I want a big 80 point alpha, over and over, and over again.

Thanks for answering my question!

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:01 PM

View Postterascque, on 16 August 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

The 20's suck. Got it. Thank you for letting me know.

As far as the meta goes, if you perform worse using the meta, why use it?? I get it a guass shot is more pinpoint the the uac's, but when I use guass rifles I get the same performance as using the uac 20's. In other words, poor.

I cant hit the broad side of a moving barn. If the target moves, I just wasted the shot. I am unable to be mobile while holding down the charge button. Its to much for me to torso twist, move, and hold down a button for 2 seconds. In other words, I suck.

I know Medium lasers are preferred over running the Heavy medium lasers, but I like the substantially higher alpha over the dps of the medium lasers.

I am not really interested in DPS with this build, I want a big 80 point alpha, over and over, and over again.

Thanks for answering my question!

Maybe you should slow your mouse settings down if you can't hit

#14 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

View PostVxheous, on 16 August 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

Maybe you should slow your mouse settings down if you can't hit

Always funny watching someone with DPI too high. Its really funny when you watch someone try to use laser with to high DPI there just all over the place.

Edited by SirSmokes, 17 August 2019 - 11:06 AM.

#15 terascque

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

DPI is turned off. Mouse settings are all the way down. Thanks for the advice though.

#16 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

View Postterascque, on 16 August 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

DPI is turned off. Mouse settings are all the way down. Thanks for the advice though.

Wait wut?

DPI turned off?

#17 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:03 AM

Another option for the DS is a UAC20 on the left side, a UAC10 on the right (for nascar range shots) and either 4 or 6 MPL depending upon your engine and heat management ability. Trigger 1 is 6MPL, trigger 2 is both UACs 20/10 and trigger 3 is the UAC10 by itself for ranged shots and when riding the heat limit. The advantage of pairing a UAC20 with a UAC10 is no ghost heat and a 60 damage double tap (plus the pew pew of 39). It has a lot more in close punch than running 2 UAC10s, especially when peeking and poking. Double tap + 6MPL drops 99 damage into a mech, which has to hurt, and you have enough heat to spare for another double tap, or another 6MPL as the situation dictates before needing to cool for a few seconds, and you have the 10 alone on trigger 3 if you need to keep firing while you cool off.

EDIT - a variant on this is 5MPL. It offsets the 2 tonne weight + of the UAC20 over the normal 2UAC10 configuration, and it reduces heat further for more sustainable dps at the expense of slightly less burst.

Edited by Random Carnage, 17 August 2019 - 03:07 AM.

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Don't run uacs on the deathstrike.

That quirk is there to be a noob trap.

#19 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

My Deathstrike has Dual UAC10's, 4MPL, and AMS. It's great. That is fairly hot in intense engagements, but not as much now that it's mastered and I'm used to the loadout. For a long time back when I first bought it, I ran it with 4MPL, a UAC10 in one arm, and a UAC5 in the other. It made managing the heat a lot easier. Then, once I was more experienced with it and had skilled up Heat Gen and Operations, I went back to dual UAC10's and haven't changed since.

I would not add a fifth and sixth laser with such a loadout. Way too hot, and not necessary. Set up for good sustain, a fast(ish) engine, and plenty of ammo.

I also have a MCII-1(S), which I've set up with the dual gauss 4 ERML meta, but I haven't done much with it yet. It's a very different play style from my DualUAC10 4MPL Deathstrike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users