Pc Upgrade

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hydraden

• Pip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

I have about $600 to spend on my system. I'm thinking about picking up a RTX 2060 Super. My current system (yes it's old) is:

i7 3770k 4.6Ghz overclock
16 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
AMD R9 280X
Maximus Formula V Motherboard
480GB Hyper X SSD
2x Seagate Barracuda HDD (RAID 1)
1500w Supernova PSU (I know its overkill, I got it for free from a friend)
2x 27" 1080p 60Hz monitors

I was wondering if the CPU will bottleneck the card badly. I would like to run Mechwarrior 5 at max settings and maybe try ray tracing as well. Can anyone give me a hand?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:30 AM

$600 can go pretty far if you roll your old components into a new rig. the amount you can spend on just case, fams and psu can a large chunk of your budget. i think id go with a core components upgrade, new ram, mobo, cpu and maybe an nvme ssd, those things are bloody fast and the biggest bottlenecks in modern computers are actually in storage. im not sure where that video card lands in performance, since im a nvidia person. if you want to upgrade it you could easily drop 200-300 for a good video card and you can easily eat most of your budget. i usually alternate between video card upgrades and core components since i can usually get a better of each. i think the rtx will be my next thing.

i have the same cpu in one of my older computers, like 3 builds ago. ive since moved on to a 4790k and then an 8086k, which is just a high binned 8700k with a faster stock clock. cpu performance hasn't really gone up that much with these upgrades. i kinda wanted to go ryzen with my last upgrade but couldn't find a mini-itx mobo i liked (though this was gen 1, newer stuff is probibly better). really boiled down to nvme support and number of m.2 slots. nvme (and perhaps usb3.1) is probably one of the better reasons to upgrade cpu.

if you dont care much about that the 3770k still has some legs, and a new new rtx would go a long way. you certainly have the power supply requirements met.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 August 2019 - 12:33 AM.

#3 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

I'm not really familiar with the Intel stuff so only watched one thing to see the difference between a ryzen 2600 and your CPU, and it's not that big.
Best thing to do prolly is just replace your GPU for now and get an RTX 2070S instead of the 2060S.
It will give you some years of future proofing for ultra 1080p gaming.
And later deal with overhauling your entire system but I don't think what you got now really needs to be replaced.

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:41 AM

intel is kind of in a bad place right now. good time to buy amd.

im not going to be upgrading core components any time soon. went about four years between upgrades last time and didnt notice a huge improvement. moore's law is dead. so il try to keep em going the next 4 or 5 years. i mostly do upgrades in october to coincide with my alaska pfd. last year i did core components, maybe il get an rtx this year (might be a good thing that mw5 got delayed), next year maybe a new screen and/or a bigger ssd. or i could just blow it all on weed.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 August 2019 - 05:53 AM.

#5 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:34 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 August 2019 - 05:41 AM, said:

or i could just blow it all on weed.

I hope you brought enough for everybody ;)

#6 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Don't invest in a Packard Bell 486....lol.

No really, you can find a few good computers for that price, although you may wish to give them an upgrade as you go on.

#7 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostHydraden, on 15 August 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

I would like to run Mechwarrior 5 at max settings

Then wait a little longer with any purchase. "Black Friday" is coming, you know.

1500w Supernova PSU (I know its overkill, I got it for free from a friend)

Y tho? Even if for free, I would never use such a thing. Efficiency is key today imho.

i7 3770k 4.6Ghz overclock
16 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
AMD R9 280X
Maximus Formula V Motherboard
480GB Hyper X SSD
2x Seagate Barracuda HDD (RAID 1)

That system seems to be quite ok, even for today's standards. Or do you notice any major down sides? If not: Wait with any upgrade - grab a 2060 or 2070 IF you want to spend money now. You can always sell those cards off and get a new one.

Edit: As for components and "should you go Intel or AMD" I suggest you consult also youtube. "tech deals", e.g.

Not as crazy as Linus and co but way more informative and cost efficient systems.

Edited by latinisator, 17 August 2019 - 11:13 AM.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,732 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:42 AM

View Postlatinisator, on 17 August 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Then wait a little longer with any purchase. "Black Friday" is coming, you know.

Y tho? Even if for free, I would never use such a thing. Efficiency is key today imho.

That system seems to be quite ok, even for today's standards. Or do you notice any major down sides? If not: Wait with any upgrade - grab a 2060 or 2070 IF you want to spend money now. You can always sell those cards off and get a new one.

Edit: As for components and "should you go Intel or AMD" I suggest you consult also youtube. "tech deals", e.g.

Not as crazy as Linus and co but way more informative and cost efficient systems.

there is a lot of misinformation about power supplies out there. people get the 80+ rating, the wattage, and the mtbf all mixed up and assume its the same thing. psu manufacturers exploit this and use it as an excuse to make a lower quality supply or misrepresent specifications. 80+ is strictly an efficiency rating and is not a measure of the mean time between failures. i struggled for years trying to find a brand of psu that wouldnt screw me. last one was a real nice 650 watt fully modular sfx supply from corsair. its been rock solid since day one and it means my computer doesnt have to be the size of the apollo guidance computer.

every psu has a nominal wattage that it likes to run at where its at the peak of efficiency, deviating from that wattage reduces efficiency. you have to dig up the datasheet to find the actual curves. the number on the box is the absolute maximum rating, which you should stay away from most of the time to ensure reliable operation. unless you are running some stupid extreme edition cpu with multiple graphics cards and everything is overclocked and water cooled, 500 should be enough, maybe a little more to compensate for capacitor aging and future upgrades. the trend lately has been towards more efficiency and huge thousand+ watt psus arent really required anymore.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 17 August 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

Don't invest in a Packard Bell 486....lol.

No really, you can find a few good computers for that price, although you may wish to give them an upgrade as you go on.

With or without a math coprocessor? :) Both had been purchased with a Montgomery Wards CC :) Ha, what am I grinning about, with the interest rate... for others, essentially what I paid for then, that amount would have purchased at least 2 extremely high end computers today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users