Reducing Nascar In Qp

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Use the MM to reduce the QP Nascaring ? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Alternate the MM between slow and fast QP matches ?

1. Yes. (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, do it another way. (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. No, the amount of QP Nascaring is fine. (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Nascar in QP is born from the difference between the fastest and slowest mech, with the fastest mech(s) racing ahead, and everyone chasing him/them out of fear of being left behind to die.

So by reducing the difference in speed between the slowest and fastest mech of a match, you reduce the ~systematic Nascar in QP, or at least significantly reduce it's negative impact on the slowest mech(s) when it happens anyway.

This is how it's done in other MMO games, to prevent WW1 biplanes from fighting jet fighters.

Here's one way to do that in MWO :
- First the MatchMaker picks the 24 slowest mechs in the queue
- Then the MatchMaker picks the 24 fastest mechs in the queue
- Repeat

Slow mechs who don't like dying to Nascars get to survive better, fast mechs who do like to Nascar get into even faster Nascar matches then before, so it's a win for both.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 15 August 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#2 DropshipPilot

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Add long Tom's or shorten the airstrike delay

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:30 AM

Nascars Fine Bro
Give it up
Posted Image

#4 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

just run directly at the enemies and the nascar stops pretty abruptly.

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

Nascars going to happen, so maybe try to think of ways to take advantage of it.

A recent thing I have been doing on Canyon Network, is positioning off to the side so when the enemy team nascars and walks up the ramp (d3 I think), I pop out and shoot their backs in my dakka assualt.

Now the enemy need to decide weather to continue showing me their backs or showing their backs to my the mates at the top of the ramp.

Been a blast actually and preetty effective.
Shh don't tell Posted Image

#6 Therron Keen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:27 AM

Seriously, as a light/medium pilot, I *LOVE* the overwhelming amount of NASCAR in QP, because it's a predictable maneuver I can counter-position for, and get easy flanking attacks on the enemy team.

#7 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:21 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 August 2019 - 08:30 AM, said:

Nascars Fine Bro

Nascars are biased against slow mechs.

View PostBROARL, on 16 August 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

just run directly at the enemies and the nascar stops pretty abruptly.

So I never tried running at them...
But in one recent game of Canyon Network I started the game by switching one leg for one kill, and was left with a one legged assault mech to Nascar with...
I planted myself like a turret in the top-left corner of D5 to face the Nascar, aiming at the full 11-man enemy team about to Nascar straight into me from D4 with only my rotary cannons in their way... and the match finished 12-3 so fast that it left my team (probably both teams) posting confusing comments about their fastest Canyon Network match ever.
I even survived that match, without doing or receiving much damage other then my first and initial first kill : Basically I stopped the 11-strong enemy Nascar dead in their tracks in D4, and my own 11-strong Nascaring team came crashing straight into their backs, with instant devastating results.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 August 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Nascars going to happen, so maybe try to think of ways to take advantage of it.

A recent thing I have been doing on Canyon Network, is positioning off to the side so when the enemy team nascars and walks up the ramp (d3 I think), I pop out and shoot their backs in my dakka assualt.

D3 is a classic : But usually a smart light or more will break off the Nascar to come kill you.

The right way to take advantage of QP Nascars, is to bring a Nascaring Mech. Meaning a fast mech that will leave the ~55kph assaults in the dust. Which of course, results in more QP Nascar.

View PostTkeleth, on 17 August 2019 - 04:27 AM, said:

Seriously, as a light/medium pilot, I *LOVE* the overwhelming amount of NASCAR in QP, because it's a predictable maneuver I can counter-position for, and get easy flanking attacks on the enemy team.

Light/medium pilots love Nascar, because they have the speed to take advantage of them.
It's the assaults and slow heavies that lose out to Nascars, typically referred to by QP Nascar players as "our dumb Charlie lance".
And again, the best trick to winning QP Nascars, is to not be part of the Charlie lance.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:38 AM

Let the light mechs come and try.
That's part of the plan too.
They mostly fail, mostly.

If 3 lights come at me that's good too, as the other 11 team mates now only need to fight 9 mechs.

#9 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:09 AM

Even though I'm not particularly affected by nascar; I think I can do better feedback than the "Git gud" comments. While there are ways to play around the problem of nascar; the thing is; most players play intuitively. Even more-so than they play strategically.

No matter what, players will often want to stick together in large groups. Even when it might actually be a detriment to their performance on the battlefield.

Disadvantages of "sticking together":

- spending more time following the group then actually finding advantageous positions to fire from. (Assaults especially.)

- being too close to friendly players that enemy targets are being constantly obscured; Increasing the risk of friendly fire and reducing damage output.

- The group is moving into a death trap, or any place that would otherwise put you at a disadvantage.

Despite situations like these; players will do it anyways, for fear of being alone. Because of this, We can't expect players to outsmart the problem especially when the problem requires a lot of "outside the box" thinking. Which most players aren't good at doing. (That being said, there are advantages to sticking together)

So here's what I'm going to suggest, alongside the original suggestion:

Modify drop locations so that Assaults are closer to the center of the map, where as lighter 'mechs are dropped closer to the edge boundaries to the map. This way; Assaults get into battle quicker, and NASCAR will take longer to form. Because faster mechs will enter the battle later into the game.

Drop locations are extremely important regarding how players behave.

Edited by Livaria, 18 August 2019 - 03:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users