The Dark Side Of The Video Game Industry

5 replies to this topic

#1 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:34 AM

Players should know that the video game industry is based on worker burnout and exploitation. That is the first step towards fixing this problem.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

ive known about this for awhile. this is why i decided not to pursue a career in game dev.

#3 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 August 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

ive known about this for awhile. this is why i decided not to pursue a career in game dev.

If you read the book The Soul of a New Machine, crunch time goes all the way back to the beginning of the IT industry and is probably the norm in most tech companies.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

I don't think its just a phenomenon of the gaming industries. Its generally to be found in IT.
Especially when you code some unique solutions for some customers - you can make a educated guess on your experience.

You are 100% sure that you can make it to the deadline, your code runs fine on your test system - it runs fine on the customers test system - but it fails catastrophic on the customers primary system.
And sometimes the reasons for this cluster **** is based on the "overworked" solution of another guy or in my special case - where I lost a lot of living time because of the stress.... three different problems - each of its own not an issue.

Just for the fun: The front-end software somehow allowed (it should not have been possible) that a data-set of a customer was entered without a birthday.
The database somehow stopped working (without exception or error log) when it reached the data-set of that customer.
the program that should transfer the data from the customers system into the database by using a interface should have warned about "missing" data and use "proxy" values. In this version the warning was disabled.

Well so I stood in mid-summer for 6 hours in the server room of that customer and tried to fix something that wasn't broken. But then we've got an update for the interpreter and the customers front-end... on the next run... failed again, because the frontend changed the coding - and the guy coding the interpreter had his code optimized that was disabled for that special coding.
And again I looked like a moron.

This whole story was the ultimate proof that murphys law exists. (Because this was not the end)

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

View PostAnjian, on 18 August 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

If you read the book The Soul of a New Machine, crunch time goes all the way back to the beginning of the IT industry and is probably the norm in most tech companies.

wouldnt doubt it. i went to school for it but i get paid more being a bum.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 August 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#6 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

Paid for being a bum, where do we sign up?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users