Minor Improvement

15 replies to this topic

#1 McFish

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

The user experience is pretty poor when the following occurs...

1. Game crashes at beginning of match.
2. Game crashes at launch until attributes.xml is deleted.
3. When game loads, now all user settings/preferences must be manually restored.
4. When rejoining the match, you see a mech destruction animation and you are dead.
5. When you have exited the match and go to join a new match, you are punished with two minutes of time out.

I feel this could be improved on in various ways.

#2 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:26 PM

Number 5 was put in because people would load into a match and then DC then load into the next match and DC to get the 25,000 C-bills back before the penalty was implemented. Also people would just DC from maps they didn't like which impacts the fun of other players. So you can blame the jerks who did both those things which caused that penalty to be realized.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

1.Yep. All known issues pgi can't or won't fix.
2.Haven't had that problem. I just patch then repair tool and if that doesn't fix everything reinstall. After that **** it I got better games.
3. Game crashes even when you try and manually make changes when you go to save changes. Complete reinstall required afterwards.
4. You got spawn killed by a light that went after your disco stew mech. swith to another mech and re-launch.
5. not sure what trigered that. Ussually when you leave a match before your mech registers as dead by the game.

There are years of feedback pgi could data mine to make the game great instead of just robot arena with bt names.

#4 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:25 PM

I suspect you have hardware or windows issues, since if everyone crashed like you, no one would be playing the game (before Russ did his whole EOL speech). I've run MWO on 6 different computers since 2012, and none of them have ever had crashing issues with this game.

Edited by Vxheous, 21 August 2019 - 11:28 PM.

#5 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:54 AM

View PostMcFish, on 20 August 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

Have you tried running MWO in borderless windowed mode? The game is quite unstable in "real" fullscreen, especially when alt-tabbing..

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

Suggest using Windowed mode also, especially since deleting the attribute file allows you to log in. Are you running the same resolution for the game as you are for the desktop? Are you running the GPU with any special settings, such as AMD VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) or Nvidia DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution)?

And when you say crash, exactly where does it crash? Beginning of the loading screen, as it disappears to the drop window?

#7 McFish

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 August 2019 - 06:43 AM, said:

Suggest using Windowed mode also, especially since deleting the attribute file allows you to log in. Are you running the same resolution for the game as you are for the desktop? Are you running the GPU with any special settings, such as AMD VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) or Nvidia DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution)?

And when you say crash, exactly where does it crash? Beginning of the loading screen, as it disappears to the drop window?

I've played for something like 18-24 months. I haven't made any hardware changes in that time. I'm running dual 1080TIs.

Everything worked nearly perfectly for a year or so, with the exception of the occasional crash on login...I would just login again and it would work.

And then there was a patch to MWO and my occasional crash on login became more often than not. I have backed up versions of the file that have loaded in the past and copied over ones that wouldn't load, and it would still tend to crash unless I delete the file. The crash on load is ~70% of the time.

If I'm willing to try loading over and over again, it usually works eventually without deleting the file.

It's just faster to delete the file on average. I only discovered this by searching old posts from other MWO players who reported that MWO tech support suggested this fix to them many years ago, so I assume it is an old bug or a recurrence of an old issue.

I have saved the files while set to windowed mode and had the same experience.

I normally run fullscreen 3840x1080, which is the native resolution of my monitor.

I don't believe I have any special graphics settings.

In the MWO in-game settings, I set to highest settings and then turn off anti-aliasing.

The crash at the beginning of the match referenced in the initial post was ~30 seconds into the match. I was on canyon network and jumping. I will crash at the beginning of a match (not actually making it into the match) maybe a few percent of the time, but the crash 30 seconds in was exceptional.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to update the re-join match interface to give an indicator if you were already dead in-match and that a 2 minute penalty for the game grashing seems like a bad choice.

#8 McFish

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

As far as I can tell, just setting my resolution to 3840x1080 is enough to cause the crash on load...so I guess I will just drop the resolution before I exit the game from now on and I'll keep a backup of the file with lower resolution. That will speed things up a bit for me.

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

I used to have many many many crashes from 2014 to 2016 (probably 20K drops in that time frame)

sometimes i would try to get back in a match as many as 6 times

many contacts with support

finally I went windows 10 64 bit and that pretty much solved all the problems

the good new is all those disconnects (i mean at one point when I first started I had 100% disco rate on one map)

did not effect my stats Posted Image
they are virtually the same now as they where years ago

Edited by Davegt27, 23 August 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

Do you overclock your CPU or RAM especially, this can corrupt the xml files.
An overclock plus the extra load from Higher rez could cause the instability.

Also check your CPU and GPU temps are they normal.
Also hows your voltage, maybe your power supply is starting to flake out when the GPU works harder at the high resolution you are using.

Another thing is to check your heatsinks and fans if they are working and dust free. Dust clogged heat sinks can cause overheating issues and thus effect stability.

If you overclock, undo it and test/try again

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

this is what PGI support sent me back in Jan 2016 (that means it might be out of date)
ultimately going to 64 bit solved the problems

anyways I posted this several times
[color=#2B2E2F]
Thanks for getting in touch. Your youtube video is private, I am not able to watch it at the moment.
Could you please also send me a screenshot of any error messages you may get while experiencing disconnects?[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
When you get a moment, please run through any or all of the troubleshooting steps outlined below and let us know if the issue persists.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Try to determine if any Firewall or Anti-Virus software might be preventing a stable connection:
- Temporarily disable your Windows Firewall or any 3rd-party firewall software and attempt a connection
- Temporarily disable your anti-virus software and attempt a connection
- If you are able to establish a connection after disabling any of the above software, you will need to add a profile or filter for MWO in that software to allow a stable connection to go through[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Try to determine if your router or modem setup might be contributing to the issue:
- If you are connecting to your modem or router through Wi-Fi, please attempt a direct connection with an Ethernet cable and see if the issue persists
- Try opening the following ports in your router and see if the issue persists:
TCP 45461
TCP 45464[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Release and Renew your IP and flush your DNS:
1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
2. Type cmd and hit Enter.
3. In the command prompt window, type:
4. ipconfig /release and hit Enter.
5. ipconfig /renew and hit Enter.
6. ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Change your DNS settings:
Using the information provided either by OpenDNS (http://208.69.38.205/) or Google (https://developers.g...-dns/docs/using) please apply either of these DNS settings to your system.
Using either of those custom DNS providers is generally preferred over the standard DNS servers your ISP might currently use.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
If you still cannot connect after running through these steps, please provide the results of a trace route, ping test, and DirectX Diagnostic, along with a copy of the Omicron.log located in your \MechWarrior Online root folder.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Trace Route:
- Press Windows Key + R
- Type CMD
- Click OK
- In the Command Prompt, type: tracert 192.99.109.129
- Take a screenshot of the results and attach it to your reply.
- In the Command Prompt, type: tracert 192.99.40.103
- Take a screenshot of the results and attach it to your reply.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Ping test:
- Press Windows Key + R
- Type CMD
- Click OK
- In the Command Prompt, type: ping -n 100 192.99.109.129
- Take a screenshot of the results attach it to your reply.
- In the Command Prompt, type: ping -n 192.99.40.103
- Take a screenshot of the results and attach it to your reply.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
How to obtain and attach a DxDiag
- Press Windows Key + R
- Type DxDiag
- Click Save All Information. If prompted about WHQL drivers, click no.
- If the Save All Information button is not present, simply click on Run (32/64 bit)DxDiag. The Save All Information button will appear after the diagnostic.
- Log file location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32\PatcherLogs
- Attach the file to this support ticket. Please do not copy/paste the contents in the body of your message as it will get truncated.[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Regards,[/color]
[color=#2B2E2F]
Olga Bugrova
Technical Support Representative
Piranha Games[/color]

Edited by Davegt27, 23 August 2019 - 03:45 PM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

View PostMcFish, on 22 August 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

As far as I can tell, just setting my resolution to 3840x1080 is enough to cause the crash on load...so I guess I will just drop the resolution before I exit the game from now on and I'll keep a backup of the file with lower resolution. That will speed things up a bit for me.

Do you also run your desktop at its native resolution of 3840x1080?

And there are 3 modes, Full Screen, Full Windowed (Borderless Window) then Windowed Mode. Have you tried just Windowed Mode, then at a lower resolution?

And fyi when PGI patches MWO in the middle of the month Windows also patches at about the same time. And for Windows 10, by default it also updates drivers.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:08 AM

View PostVxheous, on 21 August 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

I suspect you have hardware or windows issues, since if everyone crashed like you, no one would be playing the game (before Russ did his whole EOL speech). I've run MWO on 6 different computers since 2012, and none of them have ever had crashing issues with this game.

i had a lot of crashes on my old 750ti. lack of psu headers on the board were probably to blame. card just wasn't able to source enough power from the mobo to run cryengine. 1060 fixed that right up.

#14 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

View PostMcFish, on 20 August 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

The user experience is pretty poor when the following occurs...

2. Game crashes at launch until attributes.xml is deleted.
3. When game loads, now all user settings/preferences must be manually restored.
4. When rejoining the match, you see a mech destruction animation and you are dead.
5. When you have exited the match and go to join a new match, you are punished with two minutes of time out.

I feel this could be improved on in various ways.

Happens...

To me.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 August 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

Do you also run your desktop at its native resolution of 3840x1080?

And there are 3 modes, Full Screen, Full Windowed (Borderless Window) then Windowed Mode. Have you tried just Windowed Mode, then at a lower resolution?

And fyi when PGI patches MWO in the middle of the month Windows also patches at about the same time. And for Windows 10, by default it also updates drivers.

Not sure if you have also posted on the Steam forums but if you read this, questions and some troubleshooting tests, and how some of your sentences were structured. I have come across 4 different threads where the users had a nonstandard, wide aspect ratio resolution. The real question though, is it something in the game itself, or the OS/Drivers, or a combination?

Set to Windowed mode (not full Windowed mode and set to your native resolution of 3840x1080. It's a nonstandard 32:9 aspect ratio resolution. It's neither 4K ( 3840 x 2160 ) nor 1440p ( 2560 x 1440 ).

Now change that resolution to 1920x1080 and test (stay in Windowed mode atm). Same amount of crashes yes/no?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 27 August 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

View PostVxheous, on 21 August 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

Agreed with this, 1-through-3 all sound like a hardware or windows issue. I haven't played in about a month or so, but even when I have played regularly, I haven't experienced 1-3 since 2012 when I had a low end video card....and that's back when the game was much more poorly optimized (not that it improved all that much, but compared to back then...).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users