Jump to content

So I Guess I Can't Play My House?


9 replies to this topic

#1 Rhydderch Dyfnwal

    Member

  • Pip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:27 AM

Faction Play was killed by the recent changes. Who's idea was this? It is a terrible system now. I can't see how any rational game developer would see this as a good concept let alone put it into practice.

#2 Sigmar Sich

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

You can permanently pledge to your preferred faction, just not through the event screen.
Go for the factions overview, select IS or Clan, then the faction details, there will be a loyalty pledge.

To take away this feature was a bad decision, i agree. At least they returned it in the recent patch, hopefully with some extras in the future one.

#3 Johnathan Tanner

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 810 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostRhydderch Dyfnwal, on 22 August 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

Faction Play was killed by the recent changes. Who's idea was this? It is a terrible system now. I can't see how any rational game developer would see this as a good concept let alone put it into practice.

Posted Image

Who said we had rational developers?

#4 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6285947

Go to Faction Play
Faction Details
IS or Clan
House or Clan
View Factions
Select Faction
View Faction Details
Select your Faction
Pledge Loyalty

Then for the Missions, select Freelance/Merc/Loyalist and which faction for the event.

Essentially, unlike the previous mess when PGI hosted mini-conflicts a player had to quit their current faction then join one of the factions slated for that event. With the new setup, the August patch now allows a player to a loyalty to a specific faction while "co-op" with another faction during the conflicts but without losing your Allegiance/Loyalty tags.

The details were definitely not in the patch notes, but it is the sticky here in the FP subforums.

https://mwomercs.com...design-spec-v2/

And if a player has not declared an allegiance to a faction and sign up for a loyalist for a specific faction during a conflict, it does not appear any LP earn go to any faction, per Dave's screenshot in the first link. And once Allegiance has been decided, you can change your Allegiance to earn LP but you can not go back to being a true Freelancer, at least not using the above method.

If you have pledged loyalty/allegiance to a specific faction but go merc during a conflict, you do earn Merc rep points instead of faction LP points.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 August 2019 - 12:47 PM.


#5 Appogee

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,754 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostRhydderch Dyfnwal, on 22 August 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

I can't see how any rational game developer would see this as a good concept let alone put it into practice.

Don't know how to break it to you, but...

#6 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 10,237 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

to be fair i dont think battletech/mechwarrior fans understand how niche they are. and thats before you have to split them up in a large number of factions.

take a small number of players now divide them into time zones, because most of them have schedules that limit the hours they can play. divide that again by 5 skill levels, now divide that again by 13 (?, i lost count) factions. it doesnt take a mathematician to tell you thats a lot of division, oh and divide that again because you need 24 to play. your decimal point starts turning left faster than a flea in a nascar. oh and further fragmentation occurs due to the unretired qp and the long tom literally bombs people out of the mode. now a small niche community is completely fragmented, all for a thumbnail.

some basic back of cocktail napkin math would have shown that maybe you shouldn't promise factions for everyone. faction icons should have been selectable much like the badges are and not play a role in game play what so ever (unless of course units set up their own scenarios by directly challenging each other to battle, which totally should have been a feature).

#7 50 50

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 August 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

to be fair i dont think battletech/mechwarrior fans understand how niche they are. and thats before you have to split them up in a large number of factions.

take a small number of players now divide them into time zones, because most of them have schedules that limit the hours they can play. divide that again by 5 skill levels, now divide that again by 13 (?, i lost count) factions. it doesnt take a mathematician to tell you thats a lot of division, oh and divide that again because you need 24 to play. your decimal point starts turning left faster than a flea in a nascar. oh and further fragmentation occurs due to the unretired qp and the long tom literally bombs people out of the mode. now a small niche community is completely fragmented, all for a thumbnail.

some basic back of cocktail napkin math would have shown that maybe you shouldn't promise factions for everyone. faction icons should have been selectable much like the badges are and not play a role in game play what so ever (unless of course units set up their own scenarios by directly challenging each other to battle, which totally should have been a feature).


I do wonder what might have happened if back around phase 2 of Community Warfare... when we were still picking individual planets to drop onto... if the game had allowed smaller teams to get games or kick off their own little scenarios.... where that might have led to.

#8 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 10,237 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

View Post50 50, on 22 August 2019 - 07:23 PM, said:


I do wonder what might have happened if back around phase 2 of Community Warfare... when we were still picking individual planets to drop onto... if the game had allowed smaller teams to get games or kick off their own little scenarios.... where that might have led to.


an idea i knocked around in mwo2 threads is to let units hold territory. when on your own territory you would be practically invincible, with base defences, long toms, and 400 ton decks. but then the further you get from your base (number of jumps a jumpship would have to take) the less stuff you get to take with you. you could hit the planet next door with 300 tons, or do a commando raid on the other side of the inner sphere with a single lance. how far units wish to project their forces is up to them. better units could do deeper raids but weaker units could garrison near their base and still stand a chance. you even make room for pugs as units will need garrison forces to maintain control of territories and can set up contracts for that. in this scenario drop size is variable. units could also issue direct challenges to each other and fight on a neutral planet with some unit held asset as prize.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 August 2019 - 08:16 PM.


#9 BROARL

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Locationinvasion

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:54 AM

...and if you're max level both in your house and as a merc then you need to get a life wait for the next hotfix patch.

#10 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 10,237 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

i still got 10% to go for max merc. upcoming fp event has been confirmed by pgi and im going to try to complete that during said event. i was averaging about 1% per day so lets hope its a long event.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users