Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:07 AM

https://youtu.be/aUs4WfpszyI

#2 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

Chris and Russ did, not to mention the new user experience is garbage, to say the least.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

What loyal fan base?

#4 Dewodahs

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

They weren't as loyal as they pretended to be. As soon as the Epic Games Store exclusivity deal was announced a bunch of players rage quit. Some even went so far as to uninstall as they demanded refunds for their MW5 preorder. I can understand people being upset but think some have blown things out of proportion.

#5 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostMax Immelmann, on 29 August 2019 - 07:07 AM, said:

What Has Happened To The Loyal Fan Base

PGI found a way to nerf it.

Edited by Rick T Dangerous, 29 August 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

frustrations in game lead to crap posts its just human nature

its hard to find a better game then MWO

I hated steam when it first came out the same way you young people hate Epic

why well before steam I could drive to a store give the company money and they put a game in my hands

I still have all my games I ever bought (except the C64 games)
steam offered something that at any moment could go poof

so Epic is (to me) the next evolution

GLHF

Edited by Davegt27, 31 August 2019 - 03:45 PM.

#7 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostDewodahs, on 29 August 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

They weren't as loyal as they pretended to be. As soon as the Epic Games Store exclusivity deal was announced a bunch of players rage quit. Some even went so far as to uninstall as they demanded refunds for their MW5 preorder. I can understand people being upset but think some have blown things out of proportion.

This!

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostDewodahs, on 29 August 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

You've been with this game a whopping two years. good job.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

#9 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Hmmmmm.... let me see.
  • 7 years of playing, 2 of those running a Mercenary unit that grew to 45+ players.
  • Many, many, many $$$ spent trying to prop up a Dev that time and time (and time and time) again has proven to be anything but sincere (loyal is perhaps a strong word) in it's "honesty" of it's abilities and goals.
  • Having virtually every viable (fun) gameplay style nerfed into oblivion.
  • Living in a constant desert of one step forward, three steps to the side, two steps backwards when it comes to any meaningful progress. Maps, balance, gamemodes.....yeah, I'll leave it there.
  • Don't get me started on Community Warfare...erm, Faction War....wait, nope Faction Play.
The Epic store thing may have been the final nail in the coffin but let's face it, the nail gun has been working up a storm over the years.

#10 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

We are still here.

#11 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

I think the loyal fanbase is so split and has so many competing camps, that although I pretty much echo Pugs sentiments (I never ran units however, but probably could say key member) think that these waters have been and would be for any company extremely hard to navigate.

PGI has been pulled in many directions and I personally think they are more at fault for not sticking to their guns and instead trying to cater to everybody.

That said really poor design choices around CW really, really got to me and I think back to the presentation given before my time and the promises of what CW was supposed to be compared to the various versions of what we got, and can't help but be upset. Even a lot of stuff that would have appealed to the lore guys I often disagree with, would have added depth and interest to the game and made it more fun for everybody, such as some sort of bonuses or discounts or something for people playing the mechs associated with their house.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

Pgi ****** up any chance at loyalty with their constant bull **** and dragging out false hopes to make a quick profit. In 90 days soon you'll see. Once the ms license is renewed. continued development. Mech packs are not content. Mech packs arn't making pgi money now blah blah blah. Re-skin maps are new content. Jenner still needs 14 arm armor nerf. Lights need rescale. Lights so hard to hit for assaults. Whatever. At least on Steam I can get a fully developed game with dlc and know it won't suck later. None of that oh we said steam but just did an exclusivity deal with epic but we tricked you into thinking you were buying a steam key with steam workshop mod support. Russ can suck on paul's wen lo wang on his island they are not my intended developer to buy from.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

the fan base is loyal to the franchise, not the developer. that kind of loyalty is earned, and pgi has done little to deserve it (especially the higher ups).

Edited by LordNothing, 29 August 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#14 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:20 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 29 August 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

Chris and Russ did, not to mention the new user experience is garbage, to say the least.

Tried to get my girlfriend to play, she wandered into a match and was instant swarmed with LURMs. Needless to say she didn't find that fun and refuses to try again.

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 29 August 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

Hmmmmm.... let me see.
  • 7 years of playing, 2 of those running a Mercenary unit that grew to 45+ players.
  • Many, many, many $$$ spent trying to prop up a Dev that time and time (and time and time) again has proven to be anything but sincere (loyal is perhaps a strong word) in it's "honesty" of it's abilities and goals.
  • Having virtually every viable (fun) gameplay style nerfed into oblivion.
  • Living in a constant desert of one step forward, three steps to the side, two steps backwards when it comes to any meaningful progress. Maps, balance, gamemodes.....yeah, I'll leave it there.
  • Don't get me started on Community Warfare...erm, Faction War....wait, nope Faction Play.
The Epic store thing may have been the final nail in the coffin but let's face it, the nail gun has been working up a storm over the years.

I still call it Community Warfare :)

#15 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Well, PGI did nothing to really support any "community" growth in the game.

When I left a couple years back, there was very little tools to help create a character profile, or a unit profile, or talk among units etc. When I left there were....
- No pilot profiles
- No way to make notes on friends lists (who are you? I cant remember)
- No way for Unit commanders to really organize the unit in game
- No way for units to communicate, or make alliances -- or challenges.
- No way to create a unit room in chat
- Chat was clunky and really limited
- etc etc etc

Over all, it was PGI's total lack of commitment to the so called "Third Pillar" that really killed it for me --- Hell, we had better tools back in MW2 on Mplayer in the 90's than we had here --- and thats just disgraceful. It ended up being a rather lonely game with units and players struggling to retain any meaningful relationships, friendships etc. --- You cant really have "Community warfare" (or whatever they ended up calling it) without really supporting the community via "interesting and functional" tool sets .... A little flashing chat box simply doesn't cut it ..... being in a unit and not being able to really know who's who doesn't cut it ..... If they had even done one thing, Pilot profiles, and made it so units could interact .... probably would have really gone a long way in player retention, and unit solidarity. ... PGI never supported that .... so, many "loyal" fans left ..... we loyal to the franchise, not PGI.

I believe MW Living Legends is likely getting all the refugees from this game....

Peace

Freebrth.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

open developers grow bigger communities. its an established fact. popular triple a games rise and fall but the ones where the developer fostered strong modding scenes, interacted with their communities, even going as far as releasing source code. those are the games that make the green.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 August 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 August 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

open developers grow bigger communities. its an established fact. popular triple a games rise and fall but the ones where the developer fostered strong modding scenes, interacted with their communities, even going as far as releasing source code. those are the games that make the green.

Ehm... you should also mention the new content. Or, lack thereof. See, developers of Path Of Exile knew that their population would fall. So, they didn't panic about. They faced the facts. What they did, however, was come up with a pipeline to release new content and by that I mean "New Content" every few months. This ensured that the population would increase again until people completed what they wanted to do and leave. In the meantime, new content would be announced and it'd wet the players' appetite again.

This, as far as I have seen, hasn't happened at all. New Mech Packs aren't new content. That's just a way to make money. I've got nothing against someone making money. But do something else as well. Make money and increase your prestige and status as a company. But it seems that the decisions that were made were bad and when the Epic bombshell hit, people had enough.

#18 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 29 August 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

I hated steam when it first came out they way you young people hate Epic

People hated Steam because it was something completely new and an unfamiliar way to deal with games. People dislike the Epic Games Launcher because it's just another a feature barren launcher, along with Epics ****** practices of stealing games away from already announced platforms.

And I'm far from young.

View PostDavegt27, on 29 August 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

so Epic is (to me) the next evolution

lol...

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 29 August 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ehm... you should also mention the new content. Or, lack thereof. See, developers of Path Of Exile knew that their population would fall. So, they didn't panic about. They faced the facts. What they did, however, was come up with a pipeline to release new content and by that I mean "New Content" every few months. This ensured that the population would increase again until people completed what they wanted to do and leave. In the meantime, new content would be announced and it'd wet the players' appetite again.

This, as far as I have seen, hasn't happened at all. New Mech Packs aren't new content. That's just a way to make money. I've got nothing against someone making money. But do something else as well. Make money and increase your prestige and status as a company. But it seems that the decisions that were made were bad and when the Epic bombshell hit, people had enough.

keeping a steady flow of content does provide more or less the same experience as modding, both have their pros and cons. however pgi were never able to keep up well enough to keep the player base engaged. instead they rode a failing strategy until it tanked. thats what mech packs were.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostKrazedOmega, on 29 August 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

People hated Steam because it was something completely new and an unfamiliar way to deal with games. People dislike the Epic Games Launcher because it's just another a feature barren launcher, along with Epics ****** practices of stealing games away from already announced platforms.

And I'm far from young.

i still hate steam. i will continue to think of it and anything like it as unnecessary bloat the cost of which comes out of my pocket. i do recognize the need for a download service to exist in this day and age. however any features beyond fulfilling that need are completely unnecessary.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 August 2019 - 09:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users