Netmech & Mechwarrior 2 Edit Controls To Match Mwo?

3 replies to this topic

#1 M1C

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

"Modern controls have ruined me!"

I've built a few Retro gaming machines but I am can't seem to edit some of the controls. I am so used to playing MWO when I go back to play MW2 and NetMech I have a hard time using it.

I was hoping to get some direction on how to edit the MW2 and NetMech keys to match MWO, so far I have not had any luck. Thank you!

Posted Image

#2 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hey man, I usually go to mech2.org for anything related to MechWarrior 2. I was able to find this thread, hopefully it'll help you out a bit. Now I have the urge to play the MW2 series again, only I play the Battlepack versions on a virtual machine.

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

Controls are definitely awkward in MechWarrior 2 when compared to more modern games. The limited key binding in game is rather...rough.

Now, I did attempt to edit the key bindings manually in the *.MAP files with notepad, and it works for some things, however I couldn't get the game to recognize the movement keys when assigned to the WASD layout.

Also, I did try to use DOSBox's custom key binder as well to re-map movement keys to the WASD keys, but for some bizarre reason the game would crash when launching into a mission. Once I reset the DOSBox bindings, everything was fine.

I would still try what I stated above though. Who knows, maybe you will have better luck. Just remember to make file backups before messing around too much.

In the end, I did give up and decided to bind my movement keys in game to at least one spot on the keyboard. The throttle is "+" and "-" for throttle up and down, and "[" and "]" bracket keys (right below the +/-) for turning left and right. That seems to work ok for me.

P.S. I just saw that thread linked above. I think I might try that. Maybe I'll have better luck..

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 05 September 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

After trying the keymapping edits from the Mech2.org page posted, I can say that it works for me. I now have WASD controls in MW2.

One negative though...The mouse seems to also control the chassis left and right along with the torso left and right :/ I'm not sure why though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users