#1 Kim Vallantine

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 29 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTorres, RS, Brazil

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

I spent almost 2000 hours of my life in this game, and I made great friends there. But for the last 2~3 months, the community has been shrinking and group play is becoming impossible, a fact that is driving many units, including the one in [FEB] to abandon MechWarrior Online.
What can be done by PGI and us, players, to captivate the old pilots who have abandoned their mechs, as well as to arouse interest and recruit new MechWarriors?

#2 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

They have to go above and beyond to earn my trust back after messing up the mechwarrior 5 preorders by pulling a bait and switch. Besides that freezing development on mwo for the past few months isn't bringing players back.

Game needs about 6 months of solid developement from a complete and competent team. This means, new mechs, maps, weapons, game modes, sounds, features along with finishing and polishing half finished things like solaris 7, AI, faction warfare, and squad/commander roles.

What can PGI do? Unfreeze developement, patch bugs, hire some talent with that dirty epic money, or sell the game off to someone who will. Right now they are no better than a holding company, putting thing in maintence mode to scrape all the can from the player base with more and more sales before the game dies from neglect.

#3 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:04 AM

View PostAlilua, on 08 September 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

They have to go above and beyond to earn my trust back after messing up the mechwarrior 5 preorders by pulling a bait and switch.

What bait and switch? Dafuq are people talking about? And where does this certainty come from anyways? When people are vauge; It's easy to assume that their assertions is based on a reactive gut feeling than anything.

Edited by Livaria, 09 September 2019 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

View PostLivaria, on 09 September 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

What bait and switch? Dafuq are people talking about? And where does this certainty come from anyways? When people are vauge; It's easy to assume that their assertions is based on a reactive gut feeling than anything.

They sold Steam preorders to MW5 and then switched to an Epic timed exclusive deal, whether you think they did it maliciously or not it is fair for other people to be unhappy with it and even to describe it as a bait and switch. I don't think it was some nefarious plot to trick us, but I get the unhappiness.

#5 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostAlilua, on 08 September 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

Game needs about 6 months of solid developement from a complete and competent team. This means, new mechs, maps, weapons, game modes, sounds, features along with finishing and polishing half finished things like solaris 7, AI, faction warfare, and squad/commander roles.

Good points, but they need money, exposure and players also.

The platform they have chosen, (a smart decision imo), has a large, large, large, player base, a good monetary deal, and less clutter and looks brighter then the one with Half Life 3, (oh wait). Well, you know the one I mean. The dark looking one where you can spam alt accounts to negative bomb a game.

and before you, "go dare", and say it's "evil spyware". You should consider yourself lucky, with an internet, at this point in time, that allows you to post what you think.

#6 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

View PostKim Vallantine, on 08 September 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

What can be done by PGI and us, players, to captivate the old pilots who have abandoned their mechs, as well as to arouse interest and recruit new MechWarriors?

By PGI - a lot, honestly. But i'm afraid they treat MWO as an expired commodity. The best they can do now is to throw huge FP events the rest of the year. Costs them nothing, really. At least they would have some kind of pretence for the "year of Faction Play".
Then it will be winter, and with MW5 released they can finally decide what to do. Though i feel they'd rather drink beer and watch hockey, than develop MWO further.

By us, probably nothing. Only to keep pestering Paul and probably Matt to deliver TYOFP (The Year of Faction Play).
Just make sure to screenshot and play your favorite mechs to your satisfaction before servers go out.

#7 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostGilgamecc, on 09 September 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

They sold Steam preorders to MW5 and then switched to an Epic timed exclusive deal, whether you think they did it maliciously or not it is fair for other people to be unhappy with it and even to describe it as a bait and switch. I don't think it was some nefarious plot to trick us, but I get the unhappiness.

It's fair to be upset, Though maybe it's not fair to describe a situation inaccurately. However I also do recognize that people don't always have a lot to go on. So sometimes unsubstantiated accusations is just inevitable.

Even if I don't like it.Posted Image

Explain further; what are the consequences for the Epic timed exclusive deal? Does it change what is being purchased? Does it compromise what they have bought it in some way?

The phrase; "epic timed exclusive deal." Doesn't mean much to me. All I can do is assume that it's probably shady in some way. which is no surprise, considering the poor ethics game companies have all the time.

But here's a crazy thought; all these poor practices is only just a part of much bigger problem that expands much further than just PGI itself. And I'm talking real politics, legislation and such.

As far as I'm concerned. I don't care *WHO* PGI is on a personal level. Maybe they are scumbags in the exact way people like to describe (which I don't believe). Or maybe they are misunderstood people in a bad situation (which I don't know).

Need will always come before ethics. That is one thing that I do know.

Edited by Livaria, 10 September 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

View PostLivaria, on 10 September 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

Explain further; what are the consequences for the Epic timed exclusive deal? Does it change what is being purchased? Does it compromise what they have bought it in some way?

The game was - multiple times - described as launching on Steam. The pre-orders were described as delivered through Steam as well.

PGI altered the deal on us, then Russ owned up to the fact they signed an exclusivity deal with Epic when the pre-orders were still running.

The phrase; "epic timed exclusive deal." Doesn't mean much to me.
The game will only be available through Epic Game Store for a year after its' launch.

An earlier summary of why EGS does not deserve support as a platform (even through your patronage as a free user or with keys from other sources): https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6284754

To put things in a nutshell, better part of a year after commercial launch Epic Game Store is still in a state that is charitable to call an open alpha, routinely suffers from elementary security issues that should have been addressed well before Epic opened it up to customers and failed to deliver most of the promised roadmap. I'm hearing lately that they're actually asking the game developers to work on EGS functionality.

Edited by Horseman, 11 September 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Janet Yellen

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

PGI doesn't need to do any development on MWO atm. If they fixed the bugs, actually balanced the game-play between mechs, implemented a matchmaker that actually makes a real attempt to put players with like ability in games together, and opened map making to the community then it would come back. Unfortunately, that's far to much too expect, or ask of PGI. MWO will most likely end sometime next year after Russ complains about not being able to sell enough copies of MW5.

#10 Charismatic Enigma

• PipPip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:20 PM

Well if it wasn't for modders, MW5 would already be dead

#11 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:22 AM

Actually, *if* MW5 is not performing as expected, this would breathe fresh air into the world of MWO.
Especially if the hyped Dec 2020 launch of MW5 on other gaming portals (Steam, GOG, etc.)

Did GOG sign the agreement for MW5? GOG has a habit pre-sell upcoming games.
I have yet to see any GOG mentioning of MW5 at all. None.

And MW5 replay value might be lower than expected.
(Witness Diablo 3 vs Diablo 2).

So MWO is in a good place, being the only viable avenue fix to secure the MechWarrior fanbase,
should MW5 not perform as hoped.

(I suspect this is already happening to a certain degree now).

Edited by w0qj, 05 November 2020 - 06:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users