Confessions Of A Tier 1 Potato

4 replies to this topic

#1 treggon

Rookie

• The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

So, I'm definitely a tier 1 potato, meaning I have spent enough time in MWO to obtain the tier 1 status, all the way up to full bar, but I don't feel I'm any better at this game than tier 5 folks. Even my Jaarls stats show this. Tier 1 potato, with steadily increasing mediocre stats. I'm old and not under 18 so that makes sense. If you look at my analysis of math in this game, and generally look around, it basically comes down to:
  • Win games
  • Play games
  • Do good
For your tier go go up. In that order.

I have played a bunch more games, gone to MechCon a couple times and generally played a lot of matches, and bought 216 mechs. I think I'm like a 50% whale, in that I have about half the amount of mechs that B33f has, but I paid for them or won them on Twitch. (217 total mech bays, 216 full of mech's right now)

I guess this is why I am now a max-level Mech-Dad, the bane of all of the brown sea.
I paid for many of my Robots boys, and earned a bunch more playing.

I say the following because I think its just honest and real. I think I have spent about $1,000-$1,500 bucks total over the last couple years on my Robot purchasing habit, and about another $1,500.00 on flying to Canada and bringing my wife too for MechCon. This includes flight, hotel, fun, beers, tickets and merch.

I try not to say negative things on Twitch during my friend's streams. I try to support this great community. I stand by most of what I said at tier 5 when I wrote Confessions of a Tier 5 potato.

There are other things I have learned since then:
  • This is a VERY strong, small community
  • We care about the lore and the game
  • Salt is real
  • Piranha needs way more and better Marketing ASAP, because we need players to play with:
    • Spend as much money as possible on the Marketing of MW5. Please. Please. Please.
    • Beyond a single FTE human who didn't remember the names of the championship players on stage when there is a clipboard with their names on it. When there's only 3 teams. And everyone else in the room knows. Being real.
A thing I want to point out is that tier 1 players are way less fun than lower tiered players. They are mostly the same however due to the facts:
  • many tier 5 players at this point are simply alt-accounts for other tier 1 players trying to get their ace of spades and other achievements
  • tier 5 players can be just 'having fun with alt accounts' to not pollute their tier 1 character
  • Joe Average tier 5 players are usually in a better mind-set (read nicer, less salty) than a try-harder playing tier 1 accounts and getting irritated that everyone is not a comp player
  • Comp is hard, takes a ton of commitment and takes the piss out of the game
  • Tier 3 was the most fun for me
There is a very low population now in this game consisting of 90% old timers to the game and 10% new bad asses that try out the game, discover all the salt, and either troll on or move on. That is my opinion.

Love you MWO. Hope you live forever, but even my 19 year old dog won't last forever, I know thisl. It's the community that makes it good or bad, so let's keep trying to be cool to each other.

Probably the final confession of a Tier 1 Mech-Dad potato!

#2 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:27 AM

I love my Alt accounts. Less Nascaring and more fun!

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Posttreggon, on 05 September 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

many tier 5 players at this point are simply alt-accounts for other tier 1 players trying to get their ace of spades and other achievements
False. A player who made it to T1 before will progress out of T5 on their alt much faster than a genuine newbie would. I've started a fresh alt last year, made it to T1 within about 1K games - and in general I only just about carry my own damn weight in a match (even that not always).

Joe Average tier 5 players are usually in a better mind-set (read nicer, less salty) than a try-harder playing tier 1 accounts and getting irritated that everyone is not a comp player
Hardly. T1 is a mixture of people who simply have good reactions, tryhards and potatoes who only got there by grinding enough matches (no offense).

You recognize your failings, but there are people who assume that being in T1 means they have nothing more to learn, nothing to improve and their constant losses MUST be the fault of their teams and not any fault of their own.

#4 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

notice i am now Tier 4. thought i was a lifer tier 5. POTATO FOR LIFE!!! hehehe

as the population shrinks i get in with higher tier players more and more often. try hards don't get me and i don't get them lol.

i play my game and let them play their's.

BTW i took a look at your Jarlist specs and mine and yep we are both very close in numbers. like the majority of the players. you just have about 3 time as many games as me and i tend to play lights a bit more and you play heavies a bit more.

as the tier system is more of an experience based number then a true ranking sooner or latter everyone is tier 1. personally i don't think we will ever get a good ranking system to match up games. besides, in this game, once a couple of mistakes are made and the numbers skew a bit, the game is pretty much decided.

i love the battletech universe and love battlemech sims. so i will ride this one till it either dies or the next one comes along. won't be the first time i was one of the last to play as the servers shut down. been a good ride and there is still a lot of battles to come.

May your match score always be higher then your ping....

#5 Tsukimi

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 36 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

I may have semi decent stats on Jarl's as far as overall percentile is concerned. But only at Tier 3. I spent about 2 years playing on a 750+ ms ping with the Panthers as my primarily played mechs after their release of the resistance Fire pack that kept me in Tier 5 as a result of the bad internet connection and playing "weak" mechs.

After getting onto ADSL 2.5 years ago and mostly playing Stock or modified stock (Upgrading to Double Heatsinks, Endo-Steel Structure and grabbing a bit extra ammo with the freed up tonnage) I have been playing for the fun instead of trying to progress in the tiers. In fact I would normally save my c-bills for buying new mechs instead of modifying the loadouts, converting my xp to skill points on most of my mechs or using consumables. Only time I bother with the consumables is for events like UAV detection tasks.

I will not convert my mech loadouts to run the meta and be competitive, only mechs I feel I can shift away from the official lore loadouts are "PGI created" mechs like the MAD II 4HP, Purifier, Grid Iron, IIC Alpha variants (HBK IIC A, B ,C), etc. Yes some of my mechs that I really enjoy and have fun playing more frequently do get their 91 skill points and run the modified stock loadouts.

Example of a Modified Stock is a Panther 10K with the ER PPC replacing the standard PPC, Endo, DHS, MRM 10 equiped turning it into a [color=#000000]PNT-12K2. [/color]

I try and stick to the builds I find on Sarna or the mech factory to try and keep my mechs in official builds possibly used by the DCMS Ryuken-Ni unit, Wolf's Dragoons Black Widow Company, Clan Wolf / Wolf in Exile 13th Wolf Guards/ or Wolf Spider Keshik. Wolf in Exile Wolf in Exile 6th Wolf Guards.

The 6th Wolf Guards allows for Smoke Jaguar (and some Jade Falcon) mechs that were available to them as the time of Operation Bulldog when they were acquired by Clan Wolf in exile now that I have all the Official Clan Wolf mech chassis on my account. Next I will be able to start looking into adding Clan Nova Cat mechs as they are technically a part of the DCMS as of the Civil War era being given "control" of a DCMS planet. Don't need every variant of each of the applicable chassis used by the "groups" I am restricting myself to but I do still have a bunch of mechs from the days of the old rule of 3 time that I will not sell anyways.

Rank Percentile Pilot Name Games Played W/L Ratio Survive Rate K/D Ratio Average Score Adjusted Score
4495 86% Tsukimi 1472 0.83 28% 0.74 197 257.6

Edited by Tsukimi, 08 September 2019 - 06:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users