Why Are There Even Multiple Penalties For Doing Team Damage, When It Is Clearly The Other Teammates Fault For Walking Into Line Of Fire?

34 replies to this topic

#1 H E L M B R E A K E R

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:39 PM

I've had this problem many times now. I've been timed out. I've been reported. And I've even been suspended for a few days. The problem with MWO's penalty system is it automatically assumes the one who did the team damage is automatically at fault, when in many cases it is other teammates blatantly walking into friendly line of fire, or arty strike.

The three most common instances:
- tunnel push in River City because of how clustered it is in there, and everyone trying to get in there shot, ignoring teammates already firing on the enemy.
- putting down a strike on the ramps in Mining Collective and walking right into it
- using Advanced Zoom about to snipe an enemy when another teammate walks into your shot

The biggest problem I have of all though is the fact that there are multiple penalties for this. Not only do you get timed out, or worse banned, but you also get significantly lower match score. The system is completely broke imho. This does NOT solve anything. All you are doing is encouraging bad behavior to continue by NOT penalizing those teammates who choose to go "LEEROY JENKINS" and getting themselves killed, or blatantly getting shot in the back because they walked into a friendlies stream of RAC/Laser/AC shots.

It is not fair at all that players who carry the team doing more than 1k+ damage albeit 200+ team damage because people walked into their arty strike AFTER they clearly put it down should get significantly lower match score. Even lower than than the guy who walked into the strike and only did 100-250 damage.

There needs to be a fix. You cannot have two penalties this way. The most plausible solution would be to keep the timeout, but not penalize match score. This way, you are reminding players to maintain fire discipline while at the same time making sure they are not being erroneously punished for ignorant teammates.

We all know how bad the average player skill is in MWO, even in Tier 1 matches. Encouraging these players bad habits is not going to make them better in any way, shape, or form. A more sensible penalty system is sorely needed.

Edited by H E L M B R E A K E R, 21 September 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

Team damage is almost always the fault of the person applying it.

If you put down smoke close enough for a teammate to get to it within 6 seconds you're doing it wrong.

Edit: This must be someones alt, lol.

Edited by Prototelis, 21 September 2019 - 10:28 PM.

#3 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:39 PM

when you shoot people in the back, it's your fault, not theirs, when you put strikes down on friendlies it's your fault not theirs

#4 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

So you created a new account to get around your suspension? I mean it's fine as far as long as you don't do anything silly like post a thread on the forums saying you were suspended....oh wait.

But seriously though have gotten team kills and dropped a bad strike or two but I have never actually been suspended or even emailed by PGI for it. I can't imagine how much and how regularly you must be doing it if you got suspended for it.

#5 Apache1990

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

View PostH E L M B R E A K E R, on 21 September 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

All you are doing is encouraging bad behavior to continue by NOT penalizing those teammates who choose to go "LEEROY JENKINS" and getting themselves killed, or blatantly getting shot in the back because they walked into a friendlies stream of RAC/Laser/AC shots.

Suicide rushing does have an inherent penalty though. They die instantly and get no match score, because they don't accomplish anything before death.

#6 H E L M B R E A K E R

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 21 September 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

Team damage is almost always the fault of the person applying it.

If you put down smoke close enough for a teammate to get to it within 6 seconds you're doing it wrong.

Edit: This must be someones alt, lol.

Equivalently, you sound like the kind person who would also walk into arty within 6 seconds of it being thrown down, where there is blatant smoke right in front of it?

Either way, you're the one who dies in the end if you do.

View PostKol Koontz, on 21 September 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

So you created a new account to get around your suspension? I mean it's fine as far as long as you don't do anything silly like post a thread on the forums saying you were suspended....oh wait.

But seriously though have gotten team kills and dropped a bad strike or two but I have never actually been suspended or even emailed by PGI for it. I can't imagine how much and how regularly you must be doing it if you got suspended for it.

Enough to get suspended. But whatever, go ahead and keep guessing what my main account is? Come back to me when you got it. I'll be laughing. I'll even give you a hint:

"the "

Edited by H E L M B R E A K E R, 21 September 2019 - 11:24 PM.

#7 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

"The" nobody gives a s****?

#8 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

View PostH E L M B R E A K E R, on 21 September 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

Enough to get suspended. But whatever, go ahead and keep guessing what my main account is? Come back to me when you got it. I'll be laughing. I'll even give you a hint:

"the "

Oh I am not the police and have no intent on reporting you. Just pointing out that you are a bit of an idiot.

Stop shooting your team.

#9 H E L M B R E A K E R

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 21 September 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

"The" nobody gives a s****?

Apparently you did according to your first post.

View PostKol Koontz, on 21 September 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

Oh I am not the police and have no intent on reporting you. Just pointing out that you are a bit of an idiot.

Stop shooting your team.

Your useless comment is duly noted.

Quit walking in front of friendly fire.

Edited by H E L M B R E A K E R, 22 September 2019 - 12:16 AM.

#10 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:41 AM

OMG.
Team dmg is always your fault.
Zoom when snipe?
Stop use it. Not worth it.

Think. Real life. Put a strike on your soldiers. Their fault?
Go to range and shoot someone back becouse he walk when you shoot.
His fault?

Stop blame others for your lack of skill and tunel vision.

#11 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

Teamdamage is 99% your own fault. Typical reasons for it are:
  • You being greedy for damage/kills
  • You having bad situational awareness
  • You just not giving a f*** about your teammates

#12 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:02 AM

So, this guy walks into the room, and starts peeing into the fan, and wonders why he gets wet ...???

#13 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:47 AM

I'd say it's very 50/50.
I mean, why would anyone run right across in front a mech that is clearly looking towards the enemy line with their weapons ready to fire at the first sucker to pop his head out? Everyone should know you always run behind your friendlies to avoid getting caught in their firing line during the "whack-a-mole" phase.

If you however get shot in the back by the team mates you're pushing with then that's on them. If you're pushing as a pack it will get chaotic and you have to watch your fire and ID your target, and also mind your weapon locations.

#14 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:53 AM

View PostH E L M B R E A K E R, on 22 September 2019 - 12:10 AM, said:

Apparently you did according to your first post.

Your useless comment is duly noted.

Quit walking in front of friendly fire.

LOL.

This is a you problem, and system working as intended. Keep it up though maybe we will be rid of you soon.

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:17 AM

You can always flick your shot into the air when someone walks into your line of fire when using lasers. If you're using ballistics, you'll just have to live with doing whatever team damage you did with one trigger pull, which shouldn't be that much to warrant a penalty. If you're doing so much team damage that you're getting suspended for hours to days, then the problem lies with you, not the people around you or the game.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:21 AM

@OP

Its like driving
Its always your fault if someone drives up your rear end,
You can't see him, didn't use the mirrors guid and sverve 12 lines of traffic to avoid it

So your fault
Numbnutz

But mechs don't even have mirrors so its less their fault more yours as any Comstar Lawyer will tell you.

And your fire discipline which is a thing in the maechwarrior military apparently is sheet.

Hope this helps

Notes down OP would make a guid meatshield.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 September 2019 - 03:25 AM.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:28 AM

View PostAntares102, on 22 September 2019 - 12:46 AM, said:

Teamdamage is 99% your own fault. Typical reasons for it are:
  • You being greedy for damage/kills
  • You having bad situational awareness
  • You just not giving a f*** about your teammates

I beg to differ, its more like:
  • Teamates being greedy for my damage/kills
  • Teamates having bad situational awareness, shooting thru me to steal my kill
  • Teamates just not giving a f*** about me while they try to steal my kill.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 September 2019 - 03:28 AM.

#18 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:00 AM

One has to distinguish between “fault” and “responsibly”.

It is not my fault that a medium/light mech decided to jump in front of my atlas as I unload my alpha. It is my responsibility however to check my fire and avoid this, or deflect my fire when it happens to minimize the damage to the said potato. It is not my fault when friendlies knowingly run into the smoke of my arti strike inspite of warnings, but it is my responsibility not to drop arties in the way of friendlies, knowing full well that most of them will run into it to sniff it like it’s opium purple haze.

The only inexcusable team damage which is both the fault and responsibility of the shooter is when potatoes test their lasers on my back at the drop site. I thought that will stop after tier 4, but it still happens even at tier 1.

#19 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:00 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 22 September 2019 - 03:28 AM, said:

I beg to differ, its more like:
  • Teamates being greedy for my damage/kills
  • Teamates having bad situational awareness, shooting thru me to steal my kill
  • Teamates just not giving a f*** about me while they try to steal my kill.

The old one matches better and the qouted post confirms it.

Maybe ask your local policemen or militarymen and they will tell you who is responsible for friendly fire?

Edited by Kroete, 22 September 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#20 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:36 AM

View PostH E L M B R E A K E R, on 21 September 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

I've had this problem many times now. I've been timed out. I've been reported. And I've even been suspended for a few days. The problem with MWO's penalty system is it automatically assumes the one who did the team damage is automatically at fault, when in many cases it is other teammates blatantly walking into friendly line of fire, or arty strike.

If you do team damage occasionally, it's probably your teammates' fault. If you do team damage consistently it's your fault. If you are doing enough damage to consistently trigger the penalty system and are getting reported and suspended, have you ever consider that it might actually be your fault?

The three most common instances:
- tunnel push in River City because of how clustered it is in there, and everyone trying to get in there shot, ignoring teammates already firing on the enemy.
- putting down a strike on the ramps in Mining Collective and walking right into it
- using Advanced Zoom about to snipe an enemy when another teammate walks into your shot

If you know that these things are causing significant team damage why do you keep doing them? Also, advanced zoom sniping is not an excuse for FF. Pay attention to your surroundings and if you can't stop shooting friendlies with advanced zoom then you need to stop using advanced zoom.

All you are doing is encouraging bad behavior to continue by NOT penalizing those teammates who choose to go "LEEROY JENKINS" and getting themselves killed, or blatantly getting shot in the back because they walked into a friendlies stream of RAC/Laser/AC shots.

Actually, they are penalized because they're dead. That makes it pretty hard to get more match score.

We all know how bad the average player skill is in MWO, even in Tier 1 matches. Encouraging these players bad habits is not going to make them better in any way, shape, or form. A more sensible penalty system is sorely needed.

If you are a good player, getting team damage penalties is a minor issue. If you are having significant problems with the system then you need to change how you play, not blame the system for penalizing your bad habits.

Can you not see the hypocrisy in saying that low skill players' bad habits shouldn't be encouraged, while ignoring your own bad habits and actually calling for the system that discourages those bad habits to be changed?

tl;dr
You're not as good as you think you are.
Your bad habits are causing team damage.
Fix how you play instead of blaming other people for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users