Nascar Isn't Teamwork.

126 replies to this topic

#41 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:59 PM

If the whole team except you is nascaring... and you're just doing your own thing, guess who isn't being a team player?

The only thing worse than a NASCAR is a partial NASCAR where your team is beaten in detail. Either join the blob, or convince everyone to hold ground.

#42 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

NASCAR isn't exactly the problem. The problem is that people NASCAR into bad positions and don't shoot at the enemies. I nowadays jokingly at the start of every match say, "Shoot the enemies more times than they do us". If everyone did this simple thing, NASCAR wouldn't be a problem 'cause the slow assaults in your team will actually get a respite 'cause the enemies need to avoid incoming fire.

#43 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostWar Boar, on 10 September 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Seems to boil down to either general cowardice, being afraid of getting the paint scratched on the Mech, and/or attempting to preserve a virtual K/D ratio.

Well, a "real" K/D ratio would be quite awful for anyone who gets a value of "1" for "D". Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 11 September 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#44 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

View PostDauntless Blint, on 11 September 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

There are misconceptions about player skill too. The guys you sync drop with, the tool you use, the build you choose, your ping, hit reg, and internet quality effect this game horrendously. Being a big fish in a small pond syndrome.

ROFL... What? Literally WHAT are you on about????????????? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I play with 250-270ms ping on average or 400ms if playing on EU.

Is it really a problem if I can over perform in just about every match I play? Absolutely not. Hell I even played at 30FPS for 2 years and still made it into EmP's ranks.

Anyone that says that Ping/Hitreg or any of the other 'usual' excuses is just a low skill player trying to make justification for poor play.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 September 2019 - 08:07 PM.

#45 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostDauntless Blint, on 11 September 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

How many Assaults do you see breaking a rotation these days? I'm not arguing with the meta, just where it is from where it was. Effective arty plus a dakka fatty used to be able to stall an enemy rotaion and force your own nascar bois into a running skirmish early because they had already caught the tail. You even sometimes got a counter nascar charge out of your assault guys. I seldom see something like that in Q.P. today.

By holding their ground? Not many.

Sole reason being everyone is too busy running away from the fight and not shooting.

I mean... You cannot stop a rotation if you're rotating THINKING.

MWO the "thinking" mans shooter.

#46 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:35 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 September 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

ROFL... What? Literally WHAT are you on about????????????? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Is it really a problem if I can over perform in just about every match I play? Absolutely not. Hell I even played at 30FPS for 2 years and still made it into EmP's ranks.

Anyone that says that Ping/Hitreg or any of the other 'usual' excuses is just a low skill player trying to make justification for poor play.

You didn't respond to my post ;( There are always exceptions to the rule, which I stated in my post. My question still stands, out of curiosity. Obviously in your situation you have a horrible rig, mouse, probably a CRT monitor, and the worst internet latency in the world yet you excel...but I'm curious about the majority of the "skilled" players that talk down to the average players. I mean nobody will be able to answer that because there is no way to tell. Short of putting a surveillance camera in their computer area to prove what they claim on the internet, tho I am pretty sure everything people claim on the forums or on the internet in general is true ;)

#47 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 11 September 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

You didn't respond to my post ;( There are always exceptions to the rule, which I stated in my post. My question still stands, out of curiosity. Obviously in your situation you have a horrible rig, mouse, probably a CRT monitor, and the worst internet latency in the world yet you excel...but I'm curious about the majority of the "skilled" players that talk down to the average players. I mean nobody will be able to answer that because there is no way to tell. Short of putting a surveillance camera in their computer area to prove what they claim on the internet, tho I am pretty sure everything people claim on the forums or on the internet in general is true Posted Image

The thing is, MWO is slow enough and has decent hit detection to make an avg ping of about 300 not an issue. Anything higher than that and you end up teleporting around the map and shooting at ghost mechs.

Regarding the graphics fidelity, being able to see an actual component of the mech instead of something blurry and aliased at anything farther than 400m is also a bonus. But the targets move slowly in relation to other games except in situations where you're piloting a very slow mech and someone else is in a Flea. But in those cases, it's not the graphics that's an hinderance but your mech's agility.

The only issue is the LOD. You end up seeing invisible terrain even more on low settings but those aren't as big of an issue most of the time.

#48 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 11 September 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

You didn't respond to my post ;( There are always exceptions to the rule, which I stated in my post. My question still stands, out of curiosity. Obviously in your situation you have a horrible rig, mouse, probably a CRT monitor, and the worst internet latency in the world yet you excel...but I'm curious about the majority of the "skilled" players that talk down to the average players. I mean nobody will be able to answer that because there is no way to tell. Short of putting a surveillance camera in their computer area to prove what they claim on the internet, tho I am pretty sure everything people claim on the forums or on the internet in general is true Posted Image

Well given I streamed games back when I had crappy FPS and showed it live on stream (the FPS counter).
There no doubt to be had there.

The hitreg and ping just aren't a big factor in MWO, it is miniscule - not HORRENDOUS as claimed. I play other games, RTS's etc and it's noticeable ping differences, again you can play around it and make decisions according to it.

And not saying it isn't a factor - however many many people use it as THE reason for poor play/understanding of a game, that's just rubbish.

Say I lost a 6hr bike race by 1hr - And I blamed my bike for the loss. Yet the bike was extremely similar toeveryone elses... Is it really the bike?

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 September 2019 - 09:24 PM.

#49 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 11 September 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

I wonder how much of a "player skill" increase you get when you have a ping under 50, great computer hardware, a extreme gaming mouse, and a giant monitor which allows you to see a spec of a mech in the distance without having to zoom. Im sure, like my Son who is an ace with any shooter I've ever seen him play, there are players who don't need those things. But I am curious how many of the top players, or the players that consider themselves "Skilled" actually have those things. Also I am curious if they are "skilled" at any other games or are they called Potato's like they refer to others here. Just a random thought that popped into my head. Because I do have a good gaming rig and such which makes my performance way better than it should be, and honestly that's not saying much based on my Jarl's list LOL....can you imagine if I didn't have a good RIG, OMG I probably would be last on that list Ha! Posted Image

No doubt hardware and network quality make a difference if players are equal in skill.

Less so if theirs a skill gap on the positive

#50 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:22 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 September 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

High ping helps you in this game more than it hurts. You get to warp around but everything looks normal to you.

There is a reason people are *** switching.....

#51 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:13 AM

lol give me low ping any day
its a burden Im willin to bear
Posted Image Posted Image

#52 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:25 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 11 September 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

Well given I streamed games back when I had crappy FPS and showed it live on stream (the FPS counter).
There no doubt to be had there.

The hitreg and ping just aren't a big factor in MWO, it is miniscule - not HORRENDOUS as claimed. I play other games, RTS's etc and it's noticeable ping differences, again you can play around it and make decisions according to it.

And not saying it isn't a factor - however many many people use it as THE reason for poor play/understanding of a game, that's just rubbish.

Say I lost a 6hr bike race by 1hr - And I blamed my bike for the loss. Yet the bike was extremely similar toeveryone elses... Is it really the bike?

That depends on each sitauation

iF ur NBN to building time of day can make a diifernce if ur naieghbours are watchin mech p0rn

If u get ur Internet from 4G dpends on tower congestion

etc

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 September 2019 - 01:26 AM.

#53 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:58 AM

My experience:

Bad hardware, high ping - you mostly adapt.

Big screen with high res (4k is probably over the top) and good mouse with low sensitivity settings improves your game to some extent.

Edited by O L L O, 12 September 2019 - 01:59 AM.

#54 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:13 AM

Sure adapt
but can u say it doesnt affect ur performance?

Of coourse it does other wise rubbish , especially from the never had a lag issue eva crowd

Im old and bad but give me a LAN and I think the lobster hiechery would shift

#55 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:51 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 12 September 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

That depends on what excuse you want to use/pick

FTFY.

#56 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 11 September 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

Nascar is not really the underlying issue.

The real issue is the general skill level is so low and people don't understand when to hold a good position, or when to turn and fight because you are being overrun.

But what can you really expect when the bottom third of the population performance wise easily make it into tier one?

You just described 'NASCAR' with extra words though.

NASCAR refers to players waddling off into the sunset for no tactical purpose, and with no regard for the team's positioning. It's the constant waddle-off with no thought for positioning and no interest in shooting back that is NASCAR.

#57 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

No, nascar takes place when both teams are attempting to rotate in on each other. It is a subset of big engine stomp meta.

#58 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

It's silly to assume hardware and connection doesn't affect performance, the question is how much. I think it depends on just how bad things are.

I used to play mwo on a dell laptop and some maps like forest my fps would drop so badly it obviously affected my ability to react to what's happening in the game quite a bit. Same with size of the screen. When I went to a new gaming rig with a large monitor my performance in games instantly went up 15-20%. Gaming mouse.....meh, it's nice to have, but I think out of everything it makes the least difference

Internet is more tricky, high ping is manageable, but I think inconsistent internet is more of a problem. I used to have good cable with 20 ping, and everything was great, then I moved to an area that only has 4G wireless, my ping constantly jumps from 70 to like 300, and I often find myself dying because the game completely locks up for 5-10 seconds and that's enough to find yourself in a really bad spot, now a lot of times it happens when I'm in a safe spot so I don't think it will have a large effect on stats but it's certainly there. Missing shots because targets start teleporting doesn't help either.

#59 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Refresh rate, FPS, and ping are incredibly important in online action games.

#60 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

You can easily exploit NASCAR by thinking literally out of the box. If you see the maps people play, consider checking the patterns of what the enemy team does and go around the edge.Posted Image

Posted ImageSure it's not a 100% chance to win, but you are definitely doing more than most of your team can do.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users