Nascar Isn't Teamwork.

126 replies to this topic

#1 War Boar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Seems to boil down to either general cowardice, being afraid of getting the paint scratched on the Mech, and/or attempting to preserve a virtual K/D ratio. Advantages in a match are not only found on the right side and Nascar kills the chance for legit teamwork.

For example, last night an assault pilot said to move into a certain grid as it offered defensive terrain. Some Nascar pilots 3 grids away fought against us in comms or chat to play NASCAR 2K19 MWO Edition. Very disappointing. Fortunately the rest of the team sided with the commander and stayed in the vicinity. We won 10-2 and we assaults had wonderful support. Nascar, if it happened, would have killed this cooperation and support.

Other times in the lobby someone, including myself, will take company command and offer a different strategy/grid/tactic/etc ... and still half the "team" still Nascar to the right and don't come back to the group. Very discouraging as we know we've lost before the first red radar blip.

Please don't tell an assault pilot to, "just catch up," when you can, "just slow down." Assaults need to be melting metal and not map trekking beyond whats necessary to get into position to meet our opponents.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by War Boar, 10 September 2019 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

ffs... will you guys stfu already with this...

" DONT nascar"

"take the top"

"Hold locks!

come on guys.. its old.. you have already killed the game what more do you want? the only ones complaining are in charlie and bravo... Let alpha lance do its job.. and you do yours

DONT be a stationary target scrub

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

if you don't like nascar you can go to faction play. id love to see players there. the fact that nobody is there must mean that everyone loves them some nascar.

#4 War Boar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 10 September 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

ffs... will you guys stfu already with this...

" DONT nascar"

"take the top"

"Hold locks!

come on guys.. its old.. you have already killed the game what more do you want? the only ones complaining are in charlie and bravo... Let alpha lance do its job.. and you do yours

My post was to encourage teamwork over nascar. Sorry if I touched a nerve with pointing out how teamwork is preferable to nascar.

Sounds like Bravo and Charlie lance aren't complaining - it's that players like yourself are ignoring them.

View PostLordNothing, on 10 September 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

if you don't like nascar you can go to faction play. id love to see players there. the fact that nobody is there must mean that everyone loves them some nascar.

Don't know. Groups are still recruiting for FP.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

View PostWar Boar, on 10 September 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Don't know. Groups are still recruiting for FP.

i don't need groups, what i need are queues with more than 3 people in them.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 September 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

My suggestion is to lead the NASCAR, even if you're in a Direwolf. Every time you shoot your weapon, it goes into a cooldown state. Take this very brief moment to glance at the mini-map and see where your fast movers are going and keep moving there. Then you'll start leading the NASCAR and you'll end up in a good position.

The problem arises when the team turn into Dodos and decide to give up a good position. At this point, there's nothing you can do but to stand your ground and defend. I'm referring to maps like Hibernal, Canyon, etc., In Hibernal, the best way is to defend the C4 crashed Dropship area. You move to the high ground for cover as the enemies push around, getting funneled in the narrow space near the crash site. Then you move back down and keep firing. If the team decide to run away and drop to the low ground, then yeah, like I said, "Dodos".

On Grim, the fight usually boils down to moving from the low ground towards G7 G8. If you cut across the middle, you can flank the enemies from the high ground. Suggest this during the map and also pop a UAV if you have it. The team will listen. If they won't, well, "Dodos". Can't do anything about that.

It's the same in every map. There's a hot spot. People want to run and flank. Just make sure you are aware of your mini-map and act accordingly. Once some people press W and start turning left, then won't stop. They won't even fire their weapons. So, you can't do anything about them.

Try and call targets out using comms and initiate a push. Sometimes, even if you call out the targets, the team will not listen. So, "Dodos". Can't do anything about. But more often than not, you can engage the targets and kill them quite quickly.

So, yeah. Glance at the mini-map in between your weapon's cooldown and keep up.

#7 War Boar

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 September 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

The problem arises when the team turn into Dodos and decide to give up a good position. At this point, there's nothing you can do but to stand your ground and defend. I'm referring to maps like Hibernal, Canyon, etc., In Hibernal, the best way is to defend the C4 crashed Dropship area. You move to the high ground for cover as the enemies push around, getting funneled in the narrow space near the crash site. Then you move back down and keep firing. If the team decide to run away and drop to the low ground, then yeah, like I said, "Dodos".

I'd say this is the main gripe for a lot of assault pilots. We spend time lumbering to point A, only for Nascar2K19 to move to B. We arrive at B, then C. We lumber to C then everyone's off to D, E, etc. If someone Nascars *to hold a position* for the rest of us to arrive and defend that's one things. Gives the advantage to the whole team. Leaving said great position for the Nascar lolz is a problem for the entire team.

Edited by War Boar, 10 September 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#8 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

View PostWar Boar, on 10 September 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

I'd say this is the main gripe for a lot of assault pilots. We spend time lumbering to point A, only for Nascar2K19 to move to B. We arrive at B, then C. We lumber to C then everyone's off to D, E, etc. If someone Nascars *to hold a position* for the rest of us to arrive and defend that's one things. Gives the advantage to the whole team. Leaving said great position for the Nascar lolz is a problem for the entire team.

Honestly I never have problems with "Nascar" when I play my slow mechs. Also most players yell Nascar if you move at all, some would prefer the game be Turret Online. There are some maps if you sit and "defend" or as I call it Camp, you will get slaughtered, or "take the top" where you can be shot from every angle. HPG is a great example of a map I hear the screams of "Nascar" and in my opinion is a map that requires movement.

#9 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

now if i hear "follow me"

that's a command i can get into

the try hards, meat shields you are running off! ("don't NASCAR") is getting a bit old

Edited by Davegt27, 12 September 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 10 September 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

Says the guy that stood still in a light mech in a 1v1 - all while it was live streamed.

Posted Image

k.

View PostWar Boar, on 10 September 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

My post was to encourage teamwork over nascar.

That wont ever happen.

You have a whole bunch of players that are no better than a Tier 4 level, who over time, have been allowed to climb to Tier 2/Tier1 and thus are of the belief they are "good" when they are exceptionally bad.

And thus they just run in circles becuase they don't actually understand what a power point / position / trading / controlling a fight means in this game.

It is - out of all the games I play - mind boggling just HOW many players are so bad in upper tiers. No other game I play the MMs work in a way that they reward poor play.

And thus many many good players have simply stopped playing because the gameplay is just so frustratingly bad.

Even myself, I've gone from 150-300 games a month to virtually nothing in QP. I can just play Comp/FP where none of that happens ever because people there use brains.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 10 September 2019 - 08:39 PM.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:56 PM

Nascar is a tactic that works when their is no team work.

When their is teamwork focus fire is the preferred more profitable option.

Solo Random Que don't always give you a choice in regard to teamwork with T1 skill level being so board.

Though Solo Random Que always gives you options for tactics.

Bad teamwork default to nascar, good teamwork default to focus fire.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:38 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 10 September 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Nascar is a tactic that works when their is no team work.

Running away from the enemy and getting shot in the back / running around the same fixture on the map game after game / letting assaults get picked by lights is.......

A tactic that... Works?

And that ladies an gentlemen, is why NASCAR is a thing - people actually think it works Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 10 September 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#13 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:08 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 September 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

Even myself, I've gone from 150-300 games a month to virtually nothing in QP. I can just play Comp/FP where none of that happens ever because people there use brains.

Same. In fact, for the past year, the only time I've played QP has been if there has been MC on offer in an event.

But today even that's not enough. Today, I 'should' be doing QP to try to finish the event and get 15,000 match score.

But I can't put myself through QP any more. Endless matches where the lead is thrown away by idiotic nascaring, or failure to hold the line, or six friendlies hiding from 2 enemies around the corner, or huddling in a group behind a hill, refusing to move even though they are being surrounded on all sides. Constantly having to second-guess not what the enemy will do, but what stupid thing the team will do.

It does my head in. 300 MC just isn't worth it.

#15 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostWar Boar, on 10 September 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Take shortcuts. I get that in maps like NASCAR Collective, there is too much verticality for the assaults to operate with, especially with some of their pitch angle being a bit on the short side and only two viable paths leading to the high ground making for choke points. But instead of running behind your team on the low ground, approach the ramp, pop a UAV and get into a defensible corner. By this time, the enemies will get distracted by the attractive target in the sky and only a few of them will follow down the ramp, making them a prime target for focused fire. Of course, you'll end up being there alone or at max, with another pilot but sometimes, the team will respond and either stay with you or some of the fast movers will get into the backs of the enemies. It'll work.

QP is what it is. It is meant to be Instant Action. I personally haven't played FW but I have almost enough mechs to get several drop decks going with decent loadouts. So, I'll get into that soon (hopefully PGI won't shut down the servers by then Posted Image ) but make QP the best of what you can. Get some 500-odd damage out, get one kill in the time you have on the battlefield and if things go well, you'll increase the damage to 800+ and your K/D ratio will go higher than 1:1.

The population is too low which serves as a means to have bad matches but at the same time, if you play a tiny bit better, you can have decent results personally. Just make sure to use the mini-map a lot. Like I said, every time your weapons are in cooldown, have a quick glance at the mini-map. It'll help a lot.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 September 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

Running away from the enemy and getting shot in the back / running around the same fixture on the map game after game / letting assaults get picked by lights is.......

A tactic that... Works?

And that ladies an gentlemen, is why NASCAR is a thing - people actually think it works Posted Image

Well here's the thing
If that assault lance hadn't of split up don't tell me four assaults arent able to stall for a quick reach around.
If they split and dont work together thats not nascars fault

In fact we nascar coz of dead weight like that

FTW, Liking it or not is optional

When you lead Nascars in 100 Ton assault mechs more often than the number of times you get caught by nascar

Its tells you nascar is just being used as a scape goat

#17 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

Defense almost never works in this game. Nascar does, move fast and be aggressive.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:30 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 10 September 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

thats not nascars fault

In fact we nascar coz of dead weight like that

That is exactly the reason it is at fault though. You just spelled it out.

You have 100T mechs running 48km/h. "We nascar coz of dead weight"...
You have 80T mechs running 65-70km/h.

It's only dead weight (literally) because said slower mech with ALL the gunz needs support.
The reality is that the faster Assaults leave the slower ones behind and meanwhile the support lights only running 97km/h and Meds are somehow at the front rather than supporting the rear/flanks like they should be because they cannot win a light fight outright.

All because of your exact attitude "its not the nascars fault". It is the single cause and reason. Look at the maps...

Mining. Everyone just charges the centre and then runs around it.
Canyon. Everyone just charges the low ground and then runs around the Theta/Centre
Tourmaline. Everyone again arounds around the centre spire
Caustic. Almost always a rotation around the single rock that is 100m wide in D5.
Grim. Just a rotation fest around the centre buildings.
The ONLY map that really doesn't have this issue is Terra Therma simply because you cannot. I mean, low skill users still try and do it via G8 and inevitably lose.

Anyone tries to take up a power / control position in the game, 9/10 times, they get left behind mindbogglingly dumb rotations away from said positions.

This is all due to a massive lack of knowledge and skill of MWO Gameplay from a lot of players in the game and to many lower skill players rising to Higher Tiers simply because they mass 20,000 games. Not because they are any good.

Games never used to be this much of a rotation fest. But then then the overall skill was higher circa 18/24 months ago and you'd often get 3-4 good players able to work together.

Now that's extremely rare.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 September 2019 - 12:33 AM.

#19 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 10 September 2019 - 11:51 PM, said:

Defense almost never works in this game. Nascar does, move fast and be aggressive.

Defense will allways work against nascar, if the team would work together and build a fireline.
Nascar works because you dont need any teamwork, its like dogs chasing the slowest rabbid,
no thinking or tactic involved, just pure instinct.

Old and still matching:

Edited by Kroete, 11 September 2019 - 12:47 AM.

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:37 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 September 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

Says the guy that stood still in a light mech in a 1v1 - all while it was live streamed.

But doesn't that mean he learned the lesson?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users