24 replies to this topic

#1 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:41 AM

This will definitely make developers think twice about a Epic Store exclusive

Edited by SirSmokes, 12 September 2019 - 06:42 AM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

i guess there will never be a steam version of mw5. well played steam, well played.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 September 2019 - 07:11 AM.

#3 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:19 AM

Teehee, teehee

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Wow lol.

Thats pretty petty coming from the company that controls the majority market share of online game distribution.

#5 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

So our all beloved monopoly is "anti consumer " now, too?

#6 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

I am not listening to this man ramble for 8 minutes while I wait for him to get to his point. Youtube Gamer News Personalities are the worst.

Is he going to cite the contract provision that says publishers have to give Steam their games once they've already signed up for service? The provision that's been in the contract for years and really only serves as a finger pointer for who's a jerk and which Steam has no wish to actually leverage against anyone?

I bet he was.

#7 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

So in the 4 minutes i could stand watching tabloid-boy he basicly said that other platforms exlusives will/might never be sold on steam.

#8 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

View PostBombast, on 12 September 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

I am not listening to this man ramble for 8 minutes while I wait for him to get to his point. Youtube Gamer News Personalities are the worst.

Is he going to cite the contract provision that says publishers have to give Steam their games once they've already signed up for service? The provision that's been in the contract for years and really only serves as a finger pointer for who's a jerk and which Steam has no wish to actually leverage against anyone?

I bet he was.

I have no problem with this its not like Steams say hey you can't put a games on other store fronts. It just saying if yea want to be on steam have to release at same time. As far as the Epic Store in its current state it is a far inferior product to Steam. I would love the like Epic Store to be serous competition to Steam by well being better and offering a superior product not forcing people to buy there because I have too.

#9 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image
Glad I kept that pre-order I guess.

#10 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

it will be interesting to see epic's next move

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:36 PM

Steam is keeping devs from using their platform to advertise and connect with consumers, while only selling their game on Epic. Seems fair enough. Devs can still release on Epic and Steam and GoG simultaneously, which was the point of contention.

I guess I won't be getting MW5 then, if it's not coming to Steam.

#12 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 September 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

Steam is keeping devs from using their platform to advertise and connect with consumers, while only selling their game on Epic. Seems fair enough. Devs can still release on Epic and Steam and GoG simultaneously, which was the point of contention.

I guess I won't be getting MW5 then, if it's not coming to Steam.

Glad I didn't cancel my preorder I'm still not super happy about it but not that upset

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 12 September 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

Posted Image
Glad I kept that pre-order I guess.

i did too, mostly out of laziness.

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

Why should this have surprised anyone ? Valve Corporation was founded by a pair of ex-Microsoft employees.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

I don't see the point of contract prohibiting a release on steam. That part says that if a contract with steam is made, and the game in question is already released on other platforms by the time the contract is made, it is to be released within 30 days.

#16 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:31 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 September 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

This will definitely make developers think twice about a Epic Store

Why?

The shares are still better on Epic for big and small games, especially if you're using UE.
Also everyone whining about Epic, well Steam adjusted its prices, finally.
Still especially for smaller teams, this means very little, compared to Epic.
And really big titles?
Epic is still better.
If EA forces every studio to use Frostbite so EA does not have to pay royalties, then I'm quite sure every % matters to them suits upstairs.

Then Epic throws actual money around making things exclusive.

I would not call it fight back, I'd call it forced to react because of actual competition.
Even if people love to complain, Epic seems to be doing fine.

I know I'm enjoying Bordlerands 3, rebel galaxy outlaw and soon outer worlds as well.

If Valve wouldn't feel the pressure they wouldn't have reacted at all.

Even with all the ups of Steam, if one is using UE, one would be crazy not to go to Epic, just for the lack of paying royalties, unless they already promised a Steam release.

Frankly, I don't care, I just don't.

I've always had consoles as well, having a few games being exclusive isn't new to me.
I'd wish some exclusive titles would be available on the other console after a year or even 2.
Especially now since XBox and PS are sort of the same hardware

#17 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:42 AM

As a gamer I understand the potential downsides to fellow gamers. However, think long-term, not short-term. Epic store and their current policy is cancer for the gaming industry on many levels. One has to make some short-term losses in order to eradicate cancer or at the very least stop its spreading. I don't like Steam, but the amount of sheer a-holeness and utter disrespect to gamers coming from Epic is on a whole new level.

The sole argument that exists in favor of Epic is them being more finance friendly towards developers. But, keeping in mind MW5 debacle and PGI's track record that we here are familiar with better than anyone as an example, ask yourself and honestly answer one question: Do you really think that devs who have the intent to make a good, polished, finished game will jump onto an easy fast money on Epic knowing that they will make more money long term on Steam? I think not, because over the years we've seen countless examples of small indie games becoming really popular and famous on Steam, and somehow despite Steam being crowded with thousands of games, really good ones still float up on top, sell and generate income. On the other hand if you shower someone with cash before they even make anything, do you honestly believe that someone will have any incentive to actually make something decent? Developers aren't any different from normal people, and given human nature I'd say we'll be lucky if one out of twenty devs will actually give a sh*t.

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:13 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 12 September 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Glad I didn't cancel my preorder I'm still not super happy about it but not that upset

Some people pointed out that MW5 never had a steam page, if this is true and PGI never signed to distribute via Steam (despite using their logo), it would mean that PGI still can sign to release it on Steam in the future.

Nothing's changed for us it seems

#19 Carby

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

I wonder how many people here remember the days gone past of ripped and hacked copies of games.
How many peoples PCs are going to be Steam+ripped-games-from-Epic?

#20 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:27 AM

So in other words... We the Consumers who are not going to buy Mw5 on the Epic Fail Store are basically..... f-cked… Shame on you PGI. Shame on you Russ.

Edited by Wing 0, 15 September 2019 - 12:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users