Pgi - You Need To Fix Group Queues

163 replies to this topic

#1 Jaxass

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

I just came back to this game after a 5 year hiatus. Me and my friends used to group up, 2, 3 or 4 ppl and have fun. I've been enjoying solo-que, told my buddy I was playing again and he decided to come back to it (he played back 5 years ago as well). We group queued at 9pm... 10 minutes not 1 game. Gave up and played Apex.

I've read into this and I realize this has been discussed alot recently. It seems some people are bitchy about the 12 stack stomp stuff but to that I say make the "group queue" apply to a group size over say 4 people or something, anything below should get tossed in the solo-queue. Me and 2 other buddies group up and play PUBG, Apex etc... this is the norm now. Having a non functioning group queue is a sure way to end a game in todays gaming environment. It used to work (5 years ago)... fix it... not hard. Consider this empirical data, if we can't get a group queue with 2 or 3 ppl we're out... back to our other games.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:48 AM

Groups should not ever be allowed into SoloQ.

Thankfully they will not ever be put into SoloQ.

I don't know why people continue to keep posting about something so game breaking that it'll never happen.

#3 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:31 AM

OP, the solution is to allow Solos to choose to drop into GQ and not the other way around. Even in games that you've mentioned, like Apex, PUBG, people can choose whether they want to drop as a solo, duo or as a squad into a squad environment. There is never going to be a Squad dropping into a Solo match in those games. Same thing applies here.

#4 L057FUNC710N

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:38 AM

Ruining others experience in quick play so you and your buddy can derp around is not an option.

You can make a small group and play faction warfare, there are games to be had there in primetime.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:43 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 17 September 2019 - 01:38 AM, said:

Ruining others experience in quick play so you and your buddy can derp around is not an option.

You can make a small group and play faction warfare, there are games to be had there in primetime.

See... OP came here with some vague understanding of GQ in MWO and the way other games allow you to play with your friends and you reply back with needlessly ignorant comment saying that they'll ruin others' experience in QP. It's 'cause of this kind of logic MWO is probably one of the best e.g., of a multi-player game where you find it really hard to play with friends.

#6 RJF Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:52 AM

I'll just link my suggestions - https://mwomercs.com...for-group-play/

#7 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:47 AM

View PostKol Koontz, on 17 September 2019 - 01:38 AM, said:

And someone derping solo in QP is more important than someone derping with a buddy why exactly?

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 17 September 2019 - 03:48 AM.

#8 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 17 September 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

Any someone derping solo in QP is more important than someone derping with a buddy why exactly?

It's not a matter of importance, it's because groups in solo q would cause bigger problems than solos in group q would.

Solo players that choose to play FP for example know that they are choosing to play against groups, it's their own responsibility to accept that challenge when they choose to play the mode. Same would be true for solos opting in to play in group q if that was possible.

If you put groups in solo queue however, you would remove this choice. There would no longer be any mode in the game where you can choose not to play against groups. That's the problem and that's why putting groups in solo q is a bad idea.

I think scaling down group q to 8v8 and allowing solos to opt in as fillers would be the best way to try and resurrect group queue. If that's not on the table they should just shut it down and then groups can play Faction Play instead. That seems to be what is happening in practice and I'd say the death of group queue is one of the reasons why Faction Play actually has a somewhat functional population right now.

#9 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:25 AM

View PostJaxass, on 17 September 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

It used to work (5 years ago)... fix it... not hard.

I guess you missed the news then...there ain't going to be any further changes in the game EVER.

Fast forward to the 15:30 mark.

Edited by Joshua McEvedy, 17 September 2019 - 03:26 AM.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:47 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 17 September 2019 - 03:09 AM, said:

If you put groups in solo queue however, you would remove this choice. There would no longer be any mode in the game where you can choose not to play against groups.

Solaris. And need I remind you that this thing here is supposed to be a team game? There is exactly zero valid argument regarding how exactly groups "ruin experience" for others. Everyone has access to exact same tools, yet some choose not to use them, choose not to communicate with their teammates and choose not to care about any form of teamwork, i.e. they choose to be at a disadvantage. Yet somehow its the groups fault that people who don't give a fk about teamwork are getting rolled in a team-based game.

It is units who help new players to learn the game, not soloists or PGI. It is units who create and add some meaning to the otherwise pointless grind of c-bills/exp. And it is units who cause player retention. Yet all we are hearing for years is "waa waa I'm a horribad joederp and big bad stompy premades ruin my derping, plz nerf nao".

Want to have your solo fun? Go play a single-player game. Simple.

Don't you remember how the special soloist snowflakes demanded the separate solo queue for FP? Yes, I'm not a part of any faction or unit or any kind of group, but I demand my very own separate queue for FACTION Play. And funniest thing is that they claimed they were the majority, yet when FP queues did get separated it was them who couldn't find any matches, while grouped people kept playing like nothing happened. So not two weeks into that they then demanded rollback. LOL

And then people wonder they have nobody to play with and all queues are empty. Well, cater to soloists some more.
No units and no groups = no game.
At this point people can't play together in any of the game modes except one that is fubar to begin with, while soloists can play anything. Yet apparently we need to cater to bads and nerf teamwork a few times more. Pathetic.

You talk about the ability to choose for soloists, well how about the ability to choose for groups? Or for starters, how about the ability to even play together in the first place? In a team game? Haven't considered that, have we?

Truly. Fkn. Pathetic.

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:24 AM

Hey Phoenix, although I'm with you with the teamplay nature of this game, simply ranting against it won't change a thing. You can't fix stupid, nor yolo's, or whatever.
Therefore, if the GQ was to be revived, we'd need a working solution on all levels. Not a utopian vision of MWO that is never going to be achieved.

#12 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 17 September 2019 - 04:24 AM, said:

Hey Phoenix, although I'm with you with the teamplay nature of this game, simply ranting against it won't change a thing. You can't fix stupid, nor yolo's, or whatever.
Therefore, if the GQ was to be revived, we'd need a working solution on all levels. Not a utopian vision of MWO that is never going to be achieved.

I'm 6+ years beyond beliveing that anything reasonable and well-thought that people suggest on this forum will ever make it into the game. In fact it is mindboggling that people still do given the track record and that PGI already clearly stated that the game is dead. They will do exactly nothing, which isn't that different from what they did prior. They didn't give a fk about groups and units ever. Now, especially after they've layed their hands on Epic money, they don't give a fk about anything or anyone. Feel proud that you've been crowdfunding MW5 for 7 years, maybe you'll get a badge for it or smth, but don't hold your breath.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 17 September 2019 - 04:33 AM.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 September 2019 - 12:48 AM, said:

I don't know why people continue to keep posting about something so game breaking that it'll never happen.

In their defense, they're not entirely wrong. Having a more functional group queue that doesn't require long, potentially endless waits absolutely is important in the current environment. Honestly, it's always been important, but particularly now I would say that it is basically expected of modern games. The issue is that merging with SoloQ is absolutely not the best answer, but all of the good answers require actual work to be done on the game. Being as we're in maintenance mode... that's unlikely to happen. Even merging with SoloQ would likely require some time investment and I just don't see that coming to pass. People just end up on it because it's the "simplest" answer to the problem, wise or not.

The only other simple answer I can think of is eliminating GQ entirely and merging it in with FP, but that won't work because the GQ crowd isn't always interested in FP. Sometimes they just want to get a group together and press a button, rather than take the additional (minor) time required to do a FP match instead. You could make up another FP type where you have 8v8 or 12v12 with one mech rather than four, ala an expanded version of Scouting, but that just muddies the waters more and gets the current FP crowd upset. There's just no good way of going about improving GQ that doesn't require PGI to give a crap.

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

Group Queue is fine (in FP)

#15 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:45 PM

They could migrate to dynamic group sizes to make matches...if there aren't the right size or numbers of small groups to form a 12v12, have the MM try to form 11v11, 10v10, etc., until it can make a match with the same number on both sides. Works in other games when population sizes or off-peak times can't support a full matchup.

Our lance of 4 waited nearly an hour for a match last night before we bailed...the group Q after about 9pm PST (12am EST) goes dead. Until there is a better solution for the group Q, we're just going to play Megamek BT until MW5 comes out.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

When I ventured into QP on the weekend, I saw small groups of good players actively sync-dropping with each other into solo queue.

I opted out beyond that. It's already hard to get a fair solo match, without also having to fight coordinated groups.

#17 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

there should be nothing but solo drop... like it was on day one.. WHEN it worked

the more they add... the more they fail

#18 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

Nope, they won't. It will be a dead game soon enough anyway....just for ignoring what the players want and people wanting to get small groups into the game in some way shape or form. This has been hashed out again and again. So far nothing has been done and as predicted years ago, GQ is dead.

3rd week in a row in trying to find a game in GQ for a 3-4 man and have been no games in 20 min waits.

*shrug* oh well.

#19 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostHaipyng, on 17 September 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Nope, they won't. It will be a dead game soon enough anyway....just for ignoring what the players want and people wanting to get small groups into the game in some way shape or form. This has been hashed out again and again. So far nothing has been done and as predicted years ago, GQ is dead.

3rd week in a row in trying to find a game in GQ for a 3-4 man and have been no games in 20 min waits.

*shrug* oh well.

There are many reasons this game is dying (age being a big one), not having small groups in solo que is definitely not one of them. You can play groups in FP if you want.

Allowing small groups in solo qp will totally clean out the que and kill off that game mode (not that I have much love for it, but still). Small groups of high end players would just smoke through it and there will be no place left for not tryhards to hide.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:29 PM

1. Minimum viable product
2. In-game Voip = took 3 years...Feb 2015
3. Only one queue to start with, solo then solo/group...PGI in their infinity wisdom, max lance size at first in 8vs8 gameplay. path left lots of holes and bad things due to HOW PGI went about it. For others, CW/FP did not go live til Dec 2018...

Essentially PGI did not play their own game. True, their 1st real leap, game-wise. Yes, the community was not nice at many points but when PGI made changes, they were big and multiple changes instead of easing into it. The initial group setup should have been set at max 2 instead of max 4 (REMINDER - no in-game VOIP) so most grouped players had a MAJOR advantage.. VOIP... No command wheel, and still the clucky in-game chat system.

What is sad really, in another thread the discussion is if a team drops with a top end player, if a part of the team cycles around that one player, the game would likely be a win, especially if the other side does no such thing, ie work together...

This is simply a discussion, PGI is too far gone and has basically closed up shop on MWO, ie maintenance mode. And with it being in maintenance mode and people moved over to MW5 for the time being, it also means once that has been finalized PGI will likely be downsizing the team, because contractual wise, I do not see MWO2 coming to fruition.,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users