Any Noob Guides For Faction Play?

Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky The Magnificent

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

Hi all,

I have 7 fully skilled mechs at the moment and would like to look into now getting into faction play with the current event. I literally have never done a FP match so I guess I need a step by step guide.

Help is appreciated!

#2 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:35 AM

You might want to watch this:

#3 P E P E G A

Rookie

• The Fang
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

tell us what mechs you have.

#4 Finghain

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

So I'll bring this back up since I'm a loking to get into FP as well. Running in circles while hiding from the enemy gets kinda old...

I'm somewhat limited when it comes to mechs; I've got 14, but most of them are Light and Medium. I've managed to grind 10 million C-Bills in the current event, so I'm not that far off from buying possibly another Assault or Heavy, but I imagine refitting my current mechs will cost me as well, considering I'm running a lot of hybrid builds, which is goood enough for QP; FP, I'm not so sure...

I've watched the linked video; quite informative, thanks for that.

Since my only Assault and most of my Heavies are clan-mechs, I guess clans it is for me.
What I own currently:

Assault:
BAS-B, current configuration is 2*ATM 9, 1 UAC10, 4 ER Meds, ECM, TC, CAP
->I don't have a ton of playtime, considering everyone wants to play Assaults in QP; I'll have to swap some Omnipods to turn this into a proper Dakkaboat I assume?

Heavy:
HBR-Prime, current configuration is 2 HLL + 3 HML + 2 MGs, ECM
->Only has 5 Energy hardpoints; I assume more would be better? -10% Energy Heat for the Omnipod bonus is nice though

MDD-H, current configuration is 2*ATM 9 + 1 HLL + 3 ERML, TC, LAP
->I do quite well in QP with this, even though the meta probably would recommend something like all ATMs + light tag?

SNS-VG, current configuration is... terrible. Hardpoints wise, this could be an ok lrmboat I guess

Medium:
Lots of IS-mechs here, only two clan-mechs:
Franken-SCR, configuration is 2*ATM 9, light tag, 6 ERSL, TC, LAP
->Still fiddeling with this one; works well enough so far though

SHC-Prime(S), Loadout is 2CLPL
-> Still stock, haven't played it a ton, but I got it for free, so...

Lights:
For clan-mechs, I have
KFX-C, HLL, SPL, 2 LMGs, Tag, 3 AMS
-> haven't played that one in a while, but it's a low damage support mech, so probaly not the best choice for FP...

Franken-COU, 2*ATM6, light tag, 3 ERML, ECM, TC, LAP
->more of a starved medium, but a good fire support none the less. More of a damage over time build though.

"Franken"ACH, (mostly C with Prime ST for ECM) currently running 2 HML + 4 ERSL + said ECM
->I've been trying different variants of Lasers; with only 6 Hardpoints, I can't really spam MicroPLs or whatever is the hot **** right now; could build it into a MG-Boat (as far as 6 MGs is boating), but I'm not great at the required high speed backstabbing, so...

I guess there is a clear pattern of ATM/Laser Hybrids; works well enough for me in QP, but it seems like lotsa UACs is the name of the game for FP? That or long range laser vomit.

So, what would be your remcommendation(s) as far as builds go? Any viable ones above, or should I bite the bullet and get some new ones? I only have enough MC for 2 new mech bays right now, so that is the limiting factor.

Edited by Finghain, 13 November 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:43 PM

- BAS-B is fine for FP. Just turn it into a proper Dakkaboat with 3 uac5 and a uac10.
- HBR is fine, too. Just slab 4 ER Larges on it and go to town. Can even keep the omnipods, even though it's not the optimal loadout.

This leaves you with 100tons for your drop deck so either go
- SNS-VG excellent mech. Can turn it into a lurmboat or just stock omnipods wit double uac10/er ppc
- ACH. Flexible scout

or

- SCR
- SHC

take a look at https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/ for some ideas for the more meta-y loadouts.
Also, take a look at this: https://mwomercs.com...-come-see-taco/

On a sidenote, I noticed many of your ATM hybrids are equipped with TCs. It's a common misconception that these reduce lock-on times for missiles - which they don't. They only shorten the time to bring up the target information, aka paperdoll. Just so you know. Generally, if you enjoy ATM play, go for bigger launchers and smaller backups. The Maddog for example is a killer with dual atm12. Try this maybe: MDD-H

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 13 November 2019 - 10:45 PM.

#6 Finghain

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Still reading through GrimMechs...

While I personally like some (okay, a lot) of backup lasers with my missiles to have some more focussed damage to expose structure or cut of bodyparts, I figured that it's not the optimal way to run a mech. It also discurages some of the (bad) light players that try to underrun me, but that's probably not so much a thing in FP...

I read about TCs and missiles; I mostly take it because I like fast paperdolls to know where to shoot my lasers. With less "backup", that's an easy swap for more ammo.

The active probe boost to targeting data also effects only the paperdoll, right? Countering ECM is useful for missiles though, I guess.

Anyways, I'll try your builds. Still have to Master the BAS before I jump into FP, but I got a long Weekend ahead of me.

Edited by Finghain, 14 November 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostFinghain, on 14 November 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

The active probe boost to targeting data also effects only the paperdoll, right? Countering ECM is useful for missiles though, I guess.

That's correct.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users