13 replies to this topic

#1 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Hi Guys,

This new event has inspired me to give FP another go and I have done marginally better than my first few attempts and I am starting to understand how faction participation and loyalty works. I'm starting to understand that there are some mechs that work better in this environment than others and I'm working on obtaining, modifying/gaining skills for mechs that align better with the meta.

I Ido have a few questions.

I do fairly decent in quickplay so far, but then I also realize that I'm usually playing alongside T4 and T5 guys. I have a newly created T3 account as well but I loathe the NASCAR meta in the T3 QP right now.

Questions:
  • How many factions can I pledge loyalty to? What happens if I pledge to a different faction in a new conflict that does not involve the initial faction? What's a better/more optimal way to go about this?
  • Teamwork: Playing as a freelancer, I find I am losing matches more often to very well organized teams. Occasionally I run into groups that work well together and we group up for successive games.
  • Mechs: I've seen some info on the meta and optimized builds for this game mode but I'm wonderinng if there are more places to look and more information to get.
  • I'll go check if any groups are recruiting but I'd also like to shoot my shot here. I'm a decent pilot, I listen, and I can work well in a team (at least I think) and while I don't play all that much, I would like to get into a competent group. Anyone willing to recruit me?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

1. 1.

2. FP is about Group/Organised play. Find a group/unit.

3.https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/

#3 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yep first is always get a group (like ASH suggested isengrim is great at helping people out with that for IS or Clan players). Second is some good drop decks. IS I like my 4 Jager-S with 4 AC2s. For Clan 2 MadCat IIC Bs loaded with AC10s/AC5s and then 2 Light Mechs you feel comfortable in with the remainder weight. Next get the drop deck mechs "mastered" is the old term I think it is "skilled" now and then you should be half way there.

Just easy break down:
1. Group
2. Drop Deck
3. Skilled

Usually equals fun but like anything will still have bad matches from time to time with any match maker.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

View PostRioting Baboon, on 22 September 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Questions:
  • How many factions can I pledge loyalty to? What happens if I pledge to a different faction in a new conflict that does not involve the initial faction? What's a better/more optimal way to go about this?
  • Teamwork: Playing as a freelancer, I find I am losing matches more often to very well organized teams. Occasionally I run into groups that work well together and we group up for successive games.
  • Mechs: I've seen some info on the meta and optimized builds for this game mode but I'm wonderinng if there are more places to look and more information to get.
  • I'll go check if any groups are recruiting but I'd also like to shoot my shot here. I'm a decent pilot, I listen, and I can work well in a team (at least I think) and while I don't play all that much, I would like to get into a competent group. Anyone willing to recruit me?

Hi there, I'm new to FW as well. My first foray into it was just last weekend during the event. I'll throw my perspective as well...

1. You can pledge loyalty to only one Faction. There'll be some changes in the coming patch where your account is going to be locked to either IS or Clan and if there's a Clan vs Clan conflict, then you can participate freely else, if your faction isn't in the conflict but it is some IS vs Clan and you're aligned with a IS faction, then you will be doing IS side and can't pick Clan. Currently, this isn't the case but it'll be changed soon. Someone please correct me on this one.

My preference is Mercenary. I created my own Unit of 1 so I can do either Clan or IS no matter what. Just food for thought.

2. FW is predominantly a team oriented mode. If you drop as a solo, then you'll get a QP-esque group and suffer. My advice is to check out some of the streams on Twitch by pilots who do FW. They're willing to help and even add you to their group if there's a spot open. I mean, like I said, last weekend was my first FW drop and Ash and Bear_Cl4W were more than willing to add me. There are others like Yondu The Ravager (MWO handle : Yondu Udonta) who adds people to his group for FW matches. Check them on Twitch.

3. I use this site...
https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/
and also this list...
https://docs.google....t#gid=868162679

Those two form a very good foundation to understand mechs and specific loadouts. For e.g., in QP, it might seem like a 90 ton Mauler MX90 with 3 AC2 + 3 UAC2 is a pee-shooter but if you position yourself well, you can churn out 1k damage games easily. Now, imagine this with good teammates. This peashooter is a great mech to not only suppress enemies but also shred their armour 'cause that's 18 damage per salvo over and over in quick succession at 800m+ range.

Also, slower damage buildup mech loadouts like the ER Large Lasers are pretty good on certain maps on specific mechs like the Hellbringer Virago that has laser range quirk so you can set up with only 4 C-ERLL but you will do full damage at 900m+ range with the right Targeting Computer.

4. Like I mentioned in #2, check out some of the guys on Twitch who do FW. They're more than willing to help and are pretty fun to hang out with.

#5 Rioting Baboon

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:56 PM

Thanks guys, this gives me quite a bit of encouragement.

I feel like I need to put more work into my drop decks before I ring any of these guys up, else I'll probably be wasting their time.

What about merc corps? I see in their reputation area that they get MC... How doees that work?

Now really interested in being a merc.

Cheers!

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:14 AM

View PostRioting Baboon, on 22 September 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

What about merc corps? I see in their reputation area that they get MC... How doees that work?

They don't.

Well, technically on paper it's possible but the system was so broken with the Tug of War bar some 2 years ago, you can never really take planets and thus the MC that goes with it anymore.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:19 AM

I think Baboon is referring to Merc Reputation Points. At some level you get MC.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:28 AM

View PostRioting Baboon, on 22 September 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Now really interested in being a merc.

Cheers!

You're more likely to get vast amounts of MC just by completing the weekly challenges that PGI has going than hope to get MC from that Merc system. The main thing with the Mercs is that your account won't be locked to either Clan or IS. You can take part in any conflict for any side and get a tiny bit more C-bills from matches while having a decent progression bar with unlockable rewards that includes MC, Mech bays, etc.,

After the next patch, Mercs and Freelancers will be the ones who will perform the "balancing" act when queueing up for FW it seems. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:41 AM

View PostRioting Baboon, on 22 September 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Mechspecs .com

You Tube MWO Baradul

#10 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:49 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 23 September 2019 - 12:41 AM, said:

You Tube MWO Baradul

For FP you better look here for mechs and tactics:
https://www.twitch.tv/yondutheravager <---almost FP exclusive
https://www.twitch.tv/justcallmeash <---- QP, GP, FP, comp,..., with extra beer ;)

#11 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:31 AM

View PostvonJerg, on 23 September 2019 - 12:49 AM, said:

https://www.twitch.tv/justcallmeash <---- QP, GP, FP, comp,..., with extra beer Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:47 AM

Direct fire mechs are more useful than LRM builds. You barely get locks and on some maps the distance is way too far.

Dont go lone wolving or something like that.

Stay close to your teammates.

Brawler only useful when the whole team decide to brawl.

If you are around EU time zone you can add me ingame (same nickname), i will take you with me.

Have fun, and dont bother if you have a loosing strike sometimes :)

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:25 AM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 23 September 2019 - 12:41 AM, said:

Mechspecs .com

You Tube MWO Baradul

No.

And no.

Neither of those are useful sources for FP builds, play, or otherwise.

Total waste of time.

View PostvonJerg, on 23 September 2019 - 12:49 AM, said:

https://www.twitch.tv/justcallmeash <---- QP, GP, FP, comp,..., with extra beer Posted Image

Always beer.

I mean I pulled a 8hr FP stream over the weekend - anyone can go and review that if they want. See all sorts of stuff going on.
Wins/losses/tactics/YOLO... The works.

#14 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:49 AM

If you go Merc, you can swap between Clan and Inner Sphere, provided you have valid drop decks on both.

Like FRAG said, you get MC rewards for competing event objectives.

So depending on time zones. Switch to Inner Sphere during NA prime time if you want get a group to help you out. If your an Oceanic player, best thing to do , is switch to clan and hope you get an open slot in the queue when the euro players are out in force.

It worked for Temporary Axis who posted above.

RL33 and RJF will carry you on a silk cloud with unicorns to the required wins for the event.

mmmmmmmm yes

Nyet-cellent!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users