Sff Hell

1 reply to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:40 PM

its almost that time of year again where i have disposable income. i figured id get an rtx card in time for the mw5 release. initially i was going to get a low profile 2070 that will fit in my slightly modified elite 110 case. then i saw the 2070 super. more cores yay. but the only low profile version of that card is north of $700. then it occured to me to just get the 2080 and save $50. the smallest 2080 i could find is ten and a half inches long.

elite 110 only goes out to 10 inches. reminding me of the poor design choices that went into the bezel. id just dremel out that portion of the case and 3d print a cover for the end of the video card. would look ugly but would work. but alas thats where they decided to put the daughter board with the usb ports, hdd led and reset button on it, and im not even going to complain about the oversized power button/led cooler master logo that keeps me from mounting my 140mm fan inside the bezel. short of creating a new bezel from scratch theres nothing i can do.

so its time for a new case. only requirements is that its smaller than what i got and it can fit a 2080 and 2 fans. much of the hardware is low profile, dual m.2s, low profile cpu cooler, fully modular 650w sfx power supply with custom cables. the only cheap option i could find was the silverstone sg13b, but it only lets me do a single 140mm fan, second fan is really needed to avoid throttling (this is the slight modification i mentioned earlier). some dremeling required.

if i want to blow another $200 there's gonna be a run of the dan case a4sfx in a couple weeks. this case is damn tiny, literally half the size of the 110. it does this by using the sandwich configuration that places the gpu behind the mobo tray with an extension cable and sticking an sfx supply in the front of the case also with an extension cable. it has space for 2 fans, but only 92mm, combined less area than the 140mm. but the huge price and reduction in airflow give me pause.

i do like the sandwich config though. its a pretty efficient use of space, and stands like a tower, without the damn tower. certainly a lot better concept than the cube which tends to waste more space than it saves. unfortunately i haven't found a one that is cheap. most of them are crowd funded low run and costs a fortune. maybe us small form factor enthusiasts are insane, but the trend of making everything huge seems primitive to me. if its bigger than the apollo guidance computer you are doing it wrong. and the throttle slab laptop users with a bomb built in (damn lithium batteries) dont have the right idea either.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

nvm i found the 2070 super mini for $500. i think il just get that instead. then mod the living **** out of my current case. mod the bezel so i can mount the fan forward of the bulkhead. this involves taking off the existing grill, removing the logo button with a dremel, dremeling out the hexagonal grill on the forward bulkhead, and mount the 140 fan outside the bezel, this frees up space for a second 92mm noctua fan on the side. gonna replace the front grill with a perforated stainless sheet, and replace the logo button with a side mounted illuminated stainless button. shiny and chrome. maybe an rgb strip.

im also going to knock out much of the left side bulkhead that normally mounts drives and fans. you cant use any of those mounting positions with a dual slot card and so i dont need any of it and its just blocking airflow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users