4 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang_11b35d

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

I've been playing for a few months now, and I am loving it! I've been a Battletech/Mechwarrior fan since the beginning, and after a few years off (due to non-stop deployments to Iraq, Afgh, etc.) I'm back in full swing. I not a poke-mech guy, per say, but I love variety, trying new things, etc. and I don't mind spending a little money to get it. That said, everybody loves free stuff, right?

I noticed the 2019 MECHWARRIOR ONLINE ANNUAL REWARDS, clicked on eligibility, and discovered that I'm eligible to select 5 new mechs for free!

I have about 80 right now, but many I bought on impulse based on fondness for mechs from MW1,2,3,4, and various forms of Battletech. Many of these aren't really great mechs in the current MWO universe.

So, for a guy that has a lot of mechs but can always use more, what are your suggestions - particularly for the available "Rewards" mechs that fight well in battles?

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostMustang_11b35d, on 02 October 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

I've been playing for a few months now, and I am loving it! I've been a Battletech/Mechwarrior fan since the beginning, and after a few years off (due to non-stop deployments to Iraq, Afgh, etc.) I'm back in full swing. I not a poke-mech guy, per say, but I love variety, trying new things, etc. and I don't mind spending a little money to get it. That said, everybody loves free stuff, right?

I noticed the 2019 MECHWARRIOR ONLINE ANNUAL REWARDS, clicked on eligibility, and discovered that I'm eligible to select 5 new mechs for free!

I have about 80 right now, but many I bought on impulse based on fondness for mechs from MW1,2,3,4, and various forms of Battletech. Many of these aren't really great mechs in the current MWO universe.

So, for a guy that has a lot of mechs but can always use more, what are your suggestions - particularly for the available "Rewards" mechs that fight well in battles?

Something to remember when you choose:
1. All hero mechs can be bought with MC.
2. The Loyalty variants (marked "(L)") are C-Bill boosted versions of C-Bill chassis...
3. ... but the camo patterns found on the Loyalty mechs are unique and cannot be obtained in any other way. (I suggest looking up screenshots of the Loyalty Centurion, Atlas and King Crab. They're beautiful. )

For the MC option, Grinner is a great pick.
For Clan Normal Tier option, I'd probably vote for Pakhet.
For Clan Top Tier option, either of the Hellbringers and Linebackers is a good choice (you're going to frankenpod them though), though which is better depends on your playstyle. HBRs are built for laser sniping, LBKs are fast in-your face brawlers and harrassers. Redline is a little better than LBK-H due to having a CT armor quirk that the H doesn't.
For IS Top Tier option, Powerhouse is an excellent brawler, Top Dog good at laservomit and Black Widow can do some serious dakka with 4x UAC5 (although it goes assault-slow then)

For Ultimate option, Sleipnir is pretty good. As a Cyclops it has the turn rate and twist speed of a 60-tonner, and you can put some SERIOUS dakka on that thing (although even 4x UAC5 works well there).

Edited by Horseman, 03 October 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#3 Wanderfound

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:10 AM

I could use some advice on this one as well.

I've only got one mech to pick: the MC reward light mech. However, I've only been playing for a few weeks, and I've spent all of my time so far in medium and heavy mechs (Nova, Catapult and Warhammer, mostly). I have no experience with light mechs.

So: suggestions? The Wolfhound Grinner mentioned by the previous poster sounds good; I like the idea of having ECM.

But are there any other good options? It would be nice if it had an engine that was also useful in my heavier mechs...

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:05 AM

Grinner is a good pick if you are just looking for the mech. The Kitfox Hero "Purifier" offers unique ST-Omnipods with very high mounted energy hardpoints. It's essentially THE clan support utility mech. Other than that there's nothing really THAT special to the other heroes and loyalty mechs that I recall. Of course you can always go for the absolute beauty that the UM-R68(L) is. Posted Image

#5 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:35 PM

All of the suggestions offered here are good picks. Pakhet is great, Sleipnir is great, loyalty Centurion is very pretty and fun to pilot as a sturdy flanker with an AC20 and big XL engine (don't skip armor on the shield arm; torso twisting and damage spreading is what makes this mech XL safe). With the Grinner I suggest downgrading one of the potential MPLs to an ERSML for heat efficiency reasons; with lost tonnage to ECM and stealth armor it runs very hot. Also worth considering is the Quickdraw IV4 if you like MRMs.

Edited by Mister Maf, 15 November 2019 - 04:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users