12 replies to this topic

#1 HolyGrail101

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

To Alericus,

Please ask PGI for something else nice! They seem to respond to you. I am enjoying the new Stat! Thank you.

Meow

#2 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

wtf is dis

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

Whut my homie got da inside skinny?

Edited by Novakaine, 09 October 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#4 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

View PostHolyGrail101, on 08 October 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

To Alericus,

Please ask PGI for something else nice! They seem to respond to you. I am enjoying the new Stat! Thank you.

Meow

That's only because Russ has twitter blocked practically everyone else...

#5 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

Sorry folks, I didn't see this forum message.
I lol a bit - I don't know that I have any real inside influence with PGI.

I mean, I've made a few feature suggestions over the years and the one that was added was the first that was implemented, I think.

But then, here's where I'm coming from:

- It's nice to ask for things.
- If you're nice about it, and recognize that peeps will always try to do the best they can, they're more likely to listen to you - so all the folks talking mad **** about how terrible PGI is? it's a good way to get ignored. Why would anyone want to do you a favor if all you do is insult their efforts?
- Code changes are hard. With complex systems, any time you make a change to one thing, you risk tipping over some other unexpected thing.
- I recognize that I, and many of us, play this game for free; I can't really see how any of us really have any right to demand PGI implement a change that would completely remake their game. Even if I were a whale, I don't own the servers or pay the power bill. No matter how I look at it, PGI allows me to play their game - if they turn off the servers, I can't play it any more. Any cash I've spent to "own" anything in this game is really just paying to upgrade my access to their system.

So:
- I try not to ask for hard things (I regularly fail at this).
- I try to explain the problem or how the change might improve the user experience.
- If it doesn't happen, shrug.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

hmmmk.....
Do you want a cookie?

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

Lots of people asked for this. It's neat, should have been there from the start, but is ultimately pointless.

Eating a bunch of **** is meaningless if you can't dish any out.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

i honestly dont think pgi are listening to anyone anymore. they are just now implementing things that were requested years ago. even simple things. pgi has a poor track record for tying up loose ends.

meanwhile in my other game, kerbal space program. i ask for a minor improvement to a new feature, and it was in the next point release a week later. that is a dev studio who cares about games. the fact that i gave pgi an order of magnitude more money and get a few orders of magnitude less work ethic is somewhat sad. mexico > canada.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 October 2019 - 05:55 PM.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

Alericus,did you tell PGI I was hungry?
Coz they gave me a cupcake
Yum

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 October 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#10 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

i honestly dont think pgi are listening to anyone anymore. they are just now implementing things that were requested years ago. even simple things. pgi has a poor track record for tying up loose ends.

meanwhile in my other game, kerbal space program. i ask for a minor improvement to a new feature, and it was in the next point release a week later. that is a dev studio who cares about games. the fact that i gave pgi an order of magnitude more money and get a few orders of magnitude less work ethic is somewhat sad. mexico > canada.

That's what the OP is on about. I asked for Damage taken and in the next update it was included. Coincidence? Probably. PGI listening to the players? Possibly. Since I wasn't in the meeting where they decided to make the change and add it to the update schedule, I couldn't tell you with any authority, and I bet, neither could you.

And it could be that you reinforce my point about respecting their work.
Just because you give them money doesn't entitle you to their labor. This isn't your game, you don't own it, or even the mechs that you've paid money for.
If they turn off the servers tomorrow, you will have nothing. That's the way it is with all server-hosted games, and doubly so for free to play games.

It's easier and even more rewarding to say, "hey, thanks for making this game that I have enjoyed."
If you're not enjoying any more, then stop playing.
If you feel inclined to reward them for their efforts, it's also easy enough to say "hey, thanks for making [this mech I have an attachment to], here is some money to thank you for making it so I can play it"

I literally can't understand why people are *so* salty at PGI, They're not perfect, no one is. But it's not like they're sitting in some board room trying to figure out how to specifically screw with [pilot].

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 15 October 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

Alericus,did you tell PGI I was hungry?
Coz the gave me a cupcake
Yum

Posted Image

Edited by Alericus, 15 October 2019 - 11:16 AM.

#11 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

- I recognize that I, and many of us, play this game for free; I can't really see how any of us really have any right to demand PGI implement a change that would completely remake their game. Even if I were a whale, I don't own

while Whales and Founders give thousend of $ and € for to play this games, many buys Gold mechs for 500 $ each alone, and the most give PGI more a 2000 $ in the first Time for a Good game ...to the Time ,as Russ says, the BT fans not longer the favorite group for PGI...thanks for the Money , you can go

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

View PostAlericus, on 15 October 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

That's what the OP is on about. I asked for Damage taken and in the next update it was included. Coincidence? Probably. PGI listening to the players? Possibly. Since I wasn't in the meeting where they decided to make the change and add it to the update schedule, I couldn't tell you with any authority, and I bet, neither could you.

And it could be that you reinforce my point about respecting their work.
Just because you give them money doesn't entitle you to their labor. This isn't your game, you don't own it, or even the mechs that you've paid money for.
If they turn off the servers tomorrow, you will have nothing. That's the way it is with all server-hosted games, and doubly so for free to play games.

It's easier and even more rewarding to say, "hey, thanks for making this game that I have enjoyed."
If you're not enjoying any more, then stop playing.
If you feel inclined to reward them for their efforts, it's also easy enough to say "hey, thanks for making [this mech I have an attachment to], here is some money to thank you for making it so I can play it"

I literally can't understand why people are *so* salty at PGI, They're not perfect, no one is. But it's not like they're sitting in some board room trying to figure out how to specifically screw with [pilot].

you pretty much covered the standard talking points of the standard issue pgi apologist. but i prescribe to the old notion that the customer is always right. i know that the things i paid for do not give me a get whatever i want card. i don't expect pgi to jump at every feature requests especially when its at cross purposes to their intended design. thats just not practical. game design is hard. but it still feels like a shell game that strings you along and them moves the goalposts.

i don't think i like this new fangled f2p business model. this was my first f2p and its a model im going to avoid in the future. many of the apologists argue that the mwo is one of the better, more fair, f2p model games out there, which only reinforces my disdain for the model. if paying for a game up front is what it takes to get a properly developed game then so be it, shut up and take my money (this is why i bought mw5, had it been an f2p id have passed). if found the cons to be amplified and the pros diminished or outright flipped. its not a good way to make a game.

the salt mostly comes from the grognards who feel that their preferred franchise has been hijacked by a shovelware developer. they are here for mechwarrior/battletech, not pgi, their chosen model, or their way of doing business. pgi over promised and under delivered, shut out competition (mektek and mwll fans are still angry), though they did have to protect the license they paid for. i totally understand why salt levels are where they at, and if you dont you just haven't been paying attention.

but they did make an ok mechwarrior game so i will give them that. i dont think anyone else could have done that. it may have also been the means that enabled them to do mw5, and if that is good then it was well worth it in the long term. i really hope pgi can shed the shovelware label, but that requires putting in a decent effort. if they dont they only hurt future business as i and others pass up future pgi titles. some developers have earned such a standing with me i buy their games whether they interest me or not. pgi would have to put in a lot of work to earn that kind of respect.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 October 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostAlericus, on 14 October 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

But then, here's where I'm coming from:

- It's nice to ask for things.
- If you're nice about it, and recognize that peeps will always try to do the best they can, they're more likely to listen to you ...

Amen!

My honey and I once got bumped to First Class just for smiling.

Another time we were rebooked on the first flight out due to storm delays simply because the guy ahead of us on the line was a jack***. When the fellow obnoxiously complained why we got rebooked first, the ground stewardess said we were very nice. <evil grin>

Edited by Mystere, 19 October 2019 - 08:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users