Is It Time To Sell My Timberwolves?

41 replies to this topic

#21 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

I don't know whats wrong with all you noobs, my Timberwolves are still great performers. Sorry your laser vomit abominations aren't OP anymore. Maybe it's a sign you weren't actually that good to begin with. I had a 800 damage game just last week with one of my Timberwolves.

#22 Stormpaw

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

View PostSable, on 11 October 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

I don't know whats wrong with all you noobs, my Timberwolves are still great performers. Sorry your laser vomit abominations aren't OP anymore. Maybe it's a sign you weren't actually that good to begin with. I had a 800 damage game just last week with one of my Timberwolves.

lol, they should nerf it some more, this guy had A 800dmg game with one!

to OP, they're pretty bad. I mean still barely playable, but why would you. I play one about once a month out of nostalgia because it used to be my favorite mech in this game, and because I forget how bad they are and want to give it another go, it's meh at best, outclassed in every playstyle by another mech, very painful to play

#23 Gakuseinozen

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

Anyone care to tell me why they are "bad"?

Being outperformed by other chasis does not equal "bad", it simply means not-optimal.

I still have great fun in mine. Who the **** cares if its not THE BEST. Believe it or not, you can still enjoy the game (and do well!) while playing mechs that are not meta or optimal.

#24 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostSable, on 11 October 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

Watch out noobs, this guy is going to teach you about being good with his 800 damage heavy mech

#25 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

The short answer: No, but don't use them either. Keep them in your mech garage as a reminder.

View Postthievingmagpi, on 11 October 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Watch out noobs, this guy is going to teach you about being good with his 800 damage heavy mech

I don't even know how that's possible!

#26 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostGakuseinozen, on 11 October 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

Being outperformed by other chasis does not equal "bad", it simply means not-optimal.

Being consistently outperformed by most other chassis of equal weight usually qualifies as "bad".

#27 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

The timberwolf is bad.

#28 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

This thread inspired me to finally buy a Timberwolf and try it out.

My thoughts after a dozen games: It's a fast, 75 ton clan mech with lots of free tonnage and hardpoints. It has a bit of a glass jaw, but so do a lot of clan mechs. Just make a reasonable build, and you can do fine. It has the tools to succeed, the rest is up to you.

#29 Gakuseinozen

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 October 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Being consistently outperformed by most other chassis of equal weight usually qualifies as "bad".

Less good ≠ bad

Bad implies that it can't perform at all. And there are definitely are chasis in the game that fall into that category, but I don't think the TBR is one of them.

#30 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

The timber has slow agility, low mounts, and no survival quirks. Its pod space and top speed doesn't do nearly enough to compensate. It's bad.

It basically should be as agile as a clan 60-65 tonner, in exchange for low mounts and no survival quirks.

#31 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Also bad geometry.

Its bad.

#32 Stormpaw

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostNightbird, on 11 October 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

The timber has slow agility, low mounts, and no survival quirks. Its pod space and top speed doesn't do nearly enough to compensate. It's bad.

It basically should be as agile as a clan 60-65 tonner, in exchange for low mounts and no survival quirks.

basically what it used to be: good firepower, bad mounts, bad survivability, good agility

then they gave it bad agility, nerfed clan lvomit, ppc/gauss, spl/csrm6 and changed the ClanXL side torso destruction mechanic

so now it's: meh firepower, bad mounts, bad survivability and bad agility

#33 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 11 October 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

Its bad.

This thread is getting me all nostalgic...

Hey Chris, I know we are in EOL mode, but for old time's sake, could you step in here and give us a post about how your data shows that the Timber [edit] is a top mech and out performs the Ebon and Hellbringer even at the competitive level of the the game? Oh those were the days.

Edited by Bud Crue, 11 October 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#34 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

You can CT it from the side, pretty consistently.

Unless you're SRMs your mounts are almost all low.

If you're going to run a splat build, run a LBK, go faster, way more maneuverable and have survival quirks.

It's not that a TBR is unable to kill something. It's not like a Spider with 2 MLs or the like but for a 75 ton Clan mech it's pretty terrible. Everything else even vaguely in the weight class does what it does better.

#35 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

The timber died the day engine desync hit, and while there was 1 buff (neg quirk removal), its lack of agility and trash hitboxes renders it almost useless. Now its hitboxes have always sucked, but since it could outtwist most IS mechs (cause they tended to use smaller sized engines), its otherwise trash hitboxes were more then capable of twisting anything but PPFLD (making only skilled use of gauss+PPC a true threat to the timbyback when).

The real issue is past experience, since the devs have proven tthey refuse to give ANY mech crazy good quirks (which made mechs unique, gave them flavor, and made them fit into lore better not to mention compensated for glaring issues). Now that they wont buff the quirks, wont change the hitboxes, and wont do squat about mobility, its a dead mech that is purely nostalgic at this point. The ebon does all the timby's energy loadout better, the hellbringer can bring almost equal firepower (with ecm and far superior hitboxes), the orion renders the SRM timby pointless, and LRM/ATM can be done on like any mech better (sunspider LRM-80 with ECM is beyond superior, even a vapin eagle can do a sorta similar LRM setup to a timby).

Finally, now that its mediocre or even terrible depending on who you ask, its core weakness end up dominating the chassis, and its very unlikely it will ever be changed (especially since many many many vastly superior mechs have been released in the meantime. Honestly, with the omnipods released over the years, the ebon and hellbringer beat is in every way (HBR got that broken OP 2 energy RT, ebon was always king of energy spam, just squish but better then timby survival wise).

#36 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 11 October 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

The short answer: No, but don't use them either. Keep them in your mech garage as a reminder.

I don't even know how that's possible!

hell i did it durring the last event. and im a worthless potato.

#37 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

Just thinking about the TW just makes me sad and the last thing that killed it for me ia the last nerf when they redesign it missile boxes. Now the ATM30 build on it ia dead, since now large launchers will permanently stay atop making it a death trap with it already nerf agility.

Even when I'm jumping on for a few matches I just go a repaint them every now and then and play better mechs.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 13 October 2019 - 03:28 AM.

#38 itsmyroad

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

Time to stop bothering with this game. Hope that mw5 is decent and they make an mwo2.

#39 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

It does fine with lrm 10x4 and 4x ermls. So does the BB. Go for the BB gun for the pay bonus.

Edited by JediPanther, 13 October 2019 - 07:47 AM.

#40 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

I can't even remember the last time i used my Timberwolf. Made mine into a laser vomit, but now it's collecting dust since even the laser vomit I made is extremely mediocre. If there was ever a final farewell patch for MW:O, they should revisit the under performing mechs of the game and give them some kind of buff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users