• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

I'd love to change my tag to "Tankin like a Boss!'
Nuff said.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 13 October 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

I thought this was more your thing:
Posted Image

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

IS Omnimechs plz

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostVxheous, on 13 October 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

I thought this was more your thing:

ROFL.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

I wouldn't mind tanks, honestly. Add VTOLs as well.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

No. Did you forget the core BattleTech rule that vehicles don't track heat? That simple fact will invalidate battlemechs.

Traditionally vehicles were held in check by much higher through armor crit chances and weakness to heat weapons. Those mechanics are not in MWO.

A standard rules LRM60 carrier has a 180 ICE and zero heatsinks. What is preventing that same person from running LRM120 using an XL or cLRM200+ using clantech?

Freedom from heat means massive opportunities for ATM and RAC spam as well. Maybe you want that. I don't. Vehicles have further advantages like no fixed upper limit on armor, they ignore space limitations and can mount some or all of their weapons in high turrets with 360 degree transverse. Why pilot mechs?

Edited by Spheroid, 14 October 2019 - 09:38 AM.

#7 Apache1990

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 14 October 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

No. Did you forget the core BattleTech rule that vehicles don't track heat? That simple fact will invalidate battlemechs.

Traditionally vehicles were held in check by much higher through armor crit chances and weakness to heat weapons. Those mechanics are not in MWO.

A standard rules LRM60 carrier has a 180 ICE and zero heatsinks. What is preventing that same person from running LRM120 using an XL or cLRM200+ using clantech?

Did you forget that the LRM Carrier only has 12 armor and 6 structure on each side, and any location being destroyed takes out the entire vehicle? Even with MWO armor/structure doubling, it would die nearly instantly either way (while also being as slow as an assault, and having no turret).

#8 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

It would be Tank vs.Tank.
Mech vs Tanks is a tank loss almost every time.
The same game mechanics can still apply especially the heat rules.
As so many people have said over the years this isn't tabletop.
Just a thought.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

Well I do agree with the sentiment at least.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 October 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

IS Omnimechs plz

how would adding more bad mechs reinvigorate the game?

the problem isnt a lack of mechs. its not a lack of tanks either.

the problem is that the game simply isnt fun. and its not fun for a variety of reasons: bad mech/weapon balance, a lack of maps/gamemodes/endgame content, poor matchmaking, and allowing large groups/units to stomp all over solos/small groups in group queue/faction queue.

and the truth is nothing can reinvigorate this game at this point. its fanbase is too limited niche. and anyone already who quit the game isnt going to return to give it a second chance. even if PGI satisfactorily fixed every problem with the game, added a whole slew of new content, and somehow managed to broaden the niche appeal of the game, the player base is still way too far gone to ever recover. The game has lost 80% of its players in the last 3 years lol.

And I doubt very much that MW5 is gonna sell well enough to justify MWO2. Especially when PGI isnt even marketing it properly.

Edited by Khobai, 14 October 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

maybe protomechs and superheavies.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 October 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

maybe protomechs and superheavies.

Quadvees or bust!

#13 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 October 2019 - 04:12 PM, said:

allowing large groups/units to stomp all over solos/small groups in group queue/faction queue.

I just don't understand that argument AT ALL. It is so silly. You go to a playground with your ONLY friend, you refuse to join other group of people playing the same game as you ('cause Reasons), you scrounge up some rag-tag team and compete against the other team who are there with their friends and were willing to you take in. You lose, BADLY and then blame the system? They aren't occupying the entire playground.

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 14 October 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

They don't track heat because they're not allowed to have more heat generating weapons than the heat sinks which they carry.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 14 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

I just don't understand that argument AT ALL. It is so silly. You go to a playground with your ONLY friend, you refuse to join other group of people playing the same game as you ('cause Reasons), you scrounge up some rag-tag team and compete against the other team who are there with their friends and were willing to you take in. You lose, BADLY and then blame the system? They aren't occupying the entire playground.

And I dont understand your argument AT ALL...

Are you saying teams shouldnt be balanced? Because that argument defeats itself. Regardless of whether you want to play with one friend or eleven the game should balance both teams as closely as possible.

And your playground analogy is equally poor. When you do playground sports like dodgeball or whatever the team leaders alternate between picking players for the specific reason that you dont get all the best players stacked on one team.

MWO doesnt do that. It allows all the jocks to stack up on one team. Then puts all the nerds on the other team. And the outcome is as predictable and hilarious as youd expect.

As a last resort the matchmaker should forcibly break up groups in order to balance the two teams better. Because thats the only way you can adequately balance teams and prevent team stacking in a low population environment like MWO has. Its a lesson we all learned in elementary school gym class: that balancing teams sometimes means you dont always get to play with your friends on your team . Yet for some reason as an adult you feel entitled to disregard the wisdom of youth?

Not that any of that matters at this point because the game is dead no matter what. And it owes that death in no trivial part to the game's hostility towards small casual groups. But it isnt solely because of that, it was all the other factors I mentioned too.

Edited by Khobai, 14 October 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#16 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

Why would anyone log into a giant robot game to play with tanks ?

#17 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 October 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

Yet for some reason as an adult you feel entitled to disregard the wisdom of youth?

No, it just means that you mingle with others and not just with your select few in an echo chamber. Didn't you learn that in school? You get to make more friends.

BTW, if you'd be so kind as to stop putting words in my mouth, I'd be grateful. I never mentioned anything about making the game unbalanced.

#18 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

Sorry...atm PGI is not doing anything. They didn t even check whats going on in Solaris.

So.....dream on...

#19 Rosh87

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:02 PM

Out of curiosity from a tactical point of view, in the Lore.... how many "tanks" do you typically need to reliably engage and destroy a Mech ?

Example... say you are a commander of a tank formation / battalion - and have like 10 Heavy tanks, 10 Missile tanks, and 10 Light Tanks / Scout vehicles.

You get a report of the following mech rampaging through the hillside outside of the town you are garrisoned in:

Scenario-1: A single Wolfhound Light Mech (35-tons)

Scenario-2: A single Nova Medium Mech (50 tons)

Scenario-3: A single Highlander (Inner Sphere) Assault Mech (90 tons)

=====

Without assuming any Air Support - or additional infantry formations....how much of your 30 total vehicles must you realistically throw at each of those threats, to reliably take them out ? Of course casualties are likely / expected on your side, but how much of the force is needed "most of the time" to destroy Mechs - when you have vehicles engaging them ? Posted Image

#20 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 October 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

As a last resort the matchmaker should forcibly break up groups in order to balance the two teams better.

I'm surprised you haven't drowned in your own tears you shed here on the forum for 7 years while not even playing the actual game. This game is team-based. If you aren't willing to join a team either get rekt and deal with it or go play a singleplayer title. Nuff said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users