Long-Range Combat In Fp, Erlls Or Erppcs?

14 replies to this topic

#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hello all,

Did three drops in FP today, lost two, won one, all matches went down to the wire, great fun.

Now for my question, as expected, the matches involved a lot of long-range fire. I was playing IS and thought I would be eating a lot of c-erLL fire but the air was filled with glowing balls of c-erPPCs instead.

What's the conventional wisdom regarding long-range weapons in FP (if there is one), when it comes to energy weapons, are erPPCs more effective than erLLs? I'm asking because I don't FP very often.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 14 October 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

ERL or ERPPC.

Depends on what you prefer, the mechs, quirks if any, the map etc etc... A few factors if you wanna get into the 1% detail. Range quirks most important (and the size of TC you can fit).

I use both, depends on my mood predominately. I mainly use them all so I'm proficient in it all. ERPPC, especially Clan, are generally harder to hit consistently as they are not hitscan like ERLs.

#3 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

It isn't impossible, but is very difficult, to out trade ERPPCs with ERLL. So you need to make your trades while moving laterally to the ppc mech (to make you harder to hit/harder for the shooter to pinpoint a specific component), after you've seen them fire (watch for the hadouken, or abuse LOD on terrain to get them to put it into the ground), or when they aren't paying attention (like just after someone near you exposes and eats a little).

Some PPC pop tarts have so little exposure they're very difficult to hit with PPCs/ERLL if the person doing it is well practiced in poptarting.

I personally suck with PPCs, but I've been playing them in FP more to try and git gud.

#4 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

Ppcs on jump jetting mechs have very good trade potential because your exposure window is so short but are much harder to use

Erll (esp clan) have a long exposure window but are much easier to use, especially the further out you go

I prefer playing ppcs for clan and erll for IS, because I think clan ppc poptarting is better than IS and IS erll is better than clan (Im sure people with pitchforks will tell me why Im a noob, and to gitgud with supernovas and uziels and such)

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

As others have said, PPCs are harder to use, but are generally better than ERLs because of the reduced exposure time.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:02 AM

Try both and use the one you do more damage with, and eventually you'll learn the strengths and weakness of each on each map.

#7 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 15 October 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

Ppcs on jump jetting mechs have very good trade potential because your exposure window is so short but are much harder to use

Erll (esp clan) have a long exposure window but are much easier to use, especially the further out you go

I prefer playing ppcs for clan and erll for IS, because I think clan ppc poptarting is better than IS and IS erll is better than clan (Im sure people with pitchforks will tell me why Im a noob, and to gitgud with supernovas and uziels and such)

Gitgud with uziels u nub.

#8 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess it was just the luck of the draw that my fp matches had lots of PPC-equipped mechs.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

Sometimes people just decide to kill you with all PPCs

#10 Mechi Messer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

IS: BJ-3 poptart with erppcs is fun. Squishy but fun. I like AWS 8Q with 3 erppcs, too. Are they equal or better than ERLL-boats? Dunno. I guess not.

#11 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

ER PPCs can headshot much easier so its arguably a better weapon. I personally prefer ERLL because it takes the guesswork out of aiming and has a better damage to heat ratio.

#12 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

SRM linebacker on ranged maps.
everything is in range when you are moving 100kmh ;)

*NO, seriously don't do it, I get owned all the time.

#13 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

I like ERPPC

Posted Image

#14 S t P a u l y

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:41 AM

I'm with Haze - I like ERLL on IS, and ERPPC on clan (except HBR-VI)

#15 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:39 AM

View PostMechi Messer, on 16 October 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

IS: BJ-3 poptart with erppcs is fun. Squishy but fun. I like AWS 8Q with 3 erppcs, too. Are they equal or better than ERLL-boats? Dunno. I guess not.

You want squishy fun, try the BJ-3 with HPPC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users