Playing Via Satellite 750 To 1750Ms Lag.

33 replies to this topic

#1 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

WTF am I going to do. Suggestions welcome.

Occasional lag spikes (teleportation) is the worst part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The phone company declined to repair the copper line that goes over the mountain. Looking for other options.

Nearest cell towers are over 10 miles away and behind a mountain or two. Signal is minimal at best.

If I can built ~300 foot tower I can, maybe, get a dish to a microwave tower.

I may have to set up a couple parabolic dishes to a neighbor 1/2 mile away who has fiber optics, see- because of legal issues fiber can't cross "invisible line" to my house. Posted Image

I just keep trying to pretend it's because I'm in a spacecraft controlling a mech from orbit.

First world problems.

Posted Image

#2 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

Friendly fire... :-(

Posted Image

#3 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

Easy, kill anything that interferes with your via Satellite send data. Ask your neighbours to stop emitting anything, no phone, no electricity stopping almost everything they are doing. Then there is only nature left. Good luck with that.

Jokes aside. Without a stable land line you will not be able to achieve a good ping.

#4 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

Any ping over 400ms is gonna be bad

I think that if you can, connecting to your neighbour fibre is your best bet.

Can use Wifi and directional anntenna's to make the link , if your nieghbour is goood with this

Wifi can be a bit laggy but compared to satillite

Well their is no comparing the two.

Even if the Wifi adds 100ms you still way ahead of your existing connection

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 15 October 2019 - 02:55 AM.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:17 AM

Yeah, your pretty much SOL. Until I got a DSL line I played via Satellite (for almost a year) and I was never able to mitigate or improve the ping. Nothing you can do as far as I know. FYI Microwave based provider wasn't significantly better than satellite for me either.

View PostCherokeeRose, on 14 October 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

I may have to set up a couple parabolic dishes to a neighbor 1/2 mile away who has fiber optics, see- because of legal issues fiber can't cross "invisible line" to my house.

Btw, what's up with this "invisible line" thing?

Edited by Bud Crue, 15 October 2019 - 03:20 AM.

#6 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:37 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 15 October 2019 - 03:17 AM, said:

Btw, what's up with this "invisible line" thing?

Probably outside of the designated fibre coverage area, or what the company is allowed to cover. There might be an option to pay the full cost of a network extension to bring his home within range of the physical network, but that might cost 100k plus, assuming that's even the issue. I charged someone ~27k USD for a residential class fibre connection due to being outside of area one time. That was only a couple hundred meters outside of the companies zone too.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:05 AM

Well over the next year or two Starlink is supposed to come online and then you can get that sweet, sweet low ping space-internet.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

That's not internet, that's outernet. No online games for you basically

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

change the cosmological constant of the universe, that might help.

you can run a string of solar powered esp32s from your house to the top of a mountain. or maybe try lora, provided there is someone in range willing to connect it to their network. i thought about sticking a lora (pretty much slow but long range wifi) base station in my house so i can get on my network from anywhere in town with the right dongle. i knew a family that lived across the water in the alaskan bush, and they just ended up setting up a fempto cell to relay to the towers in town. they just climbed a tree and stuck it near the top, it was powered by a small wind turbine, so their cell coverage would tank whenever the weather got still.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 October 2019 - 09:30 AM.

#10 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

Once, in the past, I thought I could game online with a Satellite connection. I even called the company and asked if I could, they stated of course. I was playing WoW at the time and it would take about 10 seconds for any click I made to register in game. It made it impossible to play. Worse, after 2 days of attempting to game I ran out of data for the month and they slowed down my connection to a speed slower than dialup. I literally could not load email until the next month. Then I found that I was on contract and to discontinue service I would have to pay them around 400 dollars and climb up on my roof and disconnect the Satellite to send them back the hardware or they would continue to bill me every month. Needless to say, lesson learned. I ended up paying them the 400 bucks and sending back the hardware. I then used that WAVE internet where it was all radio transmitted...I think...anyway still didn't have enough latency to game but I could at least surf the web and there was no data limits.

#11 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:25 AM

Have you considered something a little more... turn based?

#12 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, that's the problem with Satellite. Huge latency, depending on a lot of factors:

1. Age of satellite
2. Position of satellite (based on your location and the location of the satellite's service base)
3. Service Base's location, and its available internet bandwidth (is it even LOS with service base, or are you being bounced to other sats)

These are probably the top 3 factors in determining latency.

Your packets could literally be traveling half way around the planet, before they're even touching the ISP's wire, AND THEN, depending on the ISP's location, peering, etc., your packets could be getting routed half way around the planet again.

Not a great situation for anything requiring 'high speed' internet...

#13 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

What's your budget and how well do you know your neighbor?

#14 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

Holy sh*t, how can you even play the game at 750 ms? I can't enjoy any online games above 150 ms ping. Playing on anything above 300 ping must be like playing a glorified slide show with mechs running in place constantly.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 16 October 2019 - 08:22 AM.

#15 Metallic Helium

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

I played for >4 years with Satellite internet and did really well.

First thing, let's talk about your satellite internet stability, then I'll talk about what the experience is like.

Satellite internet usually has a data limit of 15-20 GB, after that, when you go into slowed mode, MWO is impossible to play. That's when there are freezes and skips and disconnects.
If you are in the high mode, your game shouldn't appear to skip or freeze to you, or to any of your teammates.

People are confusing Ping with an unstable connection, but not having experienced satellite internet, I can't blame them for seeing it as one in the same. Most people when they see 600+ ping it's literally because something has happened to their net.

But I digress, in the high mode, your game play should appear to play perfectly normal to you and your unit-mates, and team. But, if you have shoddy wi-fi, or someone is streaming TV, or anything else, that is what is going to cause the freeze and stutters. We used to call it the netflix warp, but that doesn't just happen on Sat, it's what usually causes people to warp around.

Satellite internet doesn't seem to allow many connections to be made at the same time. If I went to download 3 small files, the first two will fly, but the last one will freeze or fail. So, if you are going to play MWO, you need to make sure the net is all but completely clear. No windows updates, no background downloads, nothing.
--------------
The actual game-play:
Assuming that your net is stable, the game will "appear" completely perfect to you.
Spectating, shots are aimed and connect exactly as you would expect, which is kind of strange, as they should almost appear to be double-transit-lagged to you.
---------------
Tactics: Lasers, you only need to aim ahead about 4 mm on a fast moving mech. The closer they are, the farther you have to aim. Your ret will turn red when you actually score a hit.
Missile and ACs, Aim basically one mech ahead, just fire in front of them in most cases. A mid-air explosion is the feedback for a good hit. (same with ppcs)

As much as I used to love this game, and not talking badly about it, but a little perspective is needed. This isn't CoD, 600ms is not big lag, and these mechs aren't moving that fast. Like slow fish in a pond speed, which is okay. Even a hyper twitch raven is moving at a snail's pace compared to almost any other game. So 600ms (steady) is not dying in the desert bad.

MWO does have tech built in to help lower speed players, Active Server Rewind, which in most cases, acts as a graduated buffer. You don't really have to think in terms of lag-shooting.... just try to "bury your shots" This is helpful for anyone whether they have 80ms or 300ms. Just pretend you are getting your shots in deeper. A little ahead. (It will ensure no matter what your connection, you are scoring as much contact as possible.)

I now have 50ms ping on better internet, and the game is very little different. I still see that players need to bury their shots. I see high ping players doing very well, and I see the occasional netflix teleporter.

I think if you are dedicated, and understand that MWO is pretty friendly for high ping, you can make a good game out of it, I did.

-It's really important you get MWO to be steady though. If you are in your high data mode, you shouldn't be teleporting or freezing. If you are, you just can't play.
If you are out of data, it's really pretty much impossible. Good news is, MWO doesn't use much data at all.

- Sorry, lastly: counter-intuitive... a slow "safe" mech is probably your worst choice. Don't feel you need an LRM boat because your ping is bad. A mega fast harasser is the style you want. It needs to hit and run anyways... your ping is going to be fine with your aim, so your net will actually work well with that play-style.

Maybe it has something to do with, the faster you are moving, the slower they are moving relative to you coordinate-transform wise? It works :)

#16 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

^^ this was really informative. Nicely done.

#17 Metallic Helium

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

Thanks 5050. other thoughts; it's really important to sort that net out. no spikes, it should be super steady.
+600 will definitely not give you lag shield, they will hit exactly where you are. They will see you a fraction of a second sooner too probably.
I forgot to mention Skype.
Wifi adds about 55ms, bluetooth adds about 150ms. Best to connect wired if possible, but wifi is next best.

I am sure soooo many, a good useful percentage of potential long term players (10 or 20%?) got utterly chased away from MWO aggressively because of misconceptions about ping and playing. Lag shooting isnt even necessary, ms is a measure of speed (in this context), 600ms in visual terms is about 3/4 the length of the body in profile of a heavy mech moving at full stride.... meaning, you can still pretty much aim directly and score a hit. It only takes a player a game and a half to get really used to it.

Edited by Metallic Helium, 16 October 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#18 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

A lot of helpful advice here. I will plug the Ethernet in directly, my computer has built in wifi, I didn't realize that would add lag.

I know my neighbor a LITTLE, It's still 1/2 mile to his house = $$$$$ for fiber, and company said they WOULD NOT even if we could pay for it. Zoning issues. In the wilderness.

I would still need to get ~100 foot tall tower on his side and mine, and/or cut a path through the trees for a dish. It's oak forest between us.

I had already thought to turn off some stuff in the house. But now I will double check phones, tablets, etc.

I find myself entering a state of Zen where I am focused on the future actions of my opponents.

Obviously slower mechs are easier to fight.

I've noticed some things, like- when launching LRM missiles (without target lock) they land where the click was to YOU, not to the server.

Or you can get target locks, not based on lag, but based on when YOU started trying to get the lock. Which, sort of, reduces how bad it sucks to play with lag. Obviously you are fish food if a piranha is circling.

And calling air strikes is based on where your own rectical is (user interface), instead of where lag would have sent the click.

Obviously, I am still fish food for lights.

#19 Metallic Helium

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

I hope you can get that signal steadied. My installer said my signal was hail-mary weak, but I played for over 4 years without a single hiccup in performance. Seriously try to take any devices off of the wi-fi, make sure you are using peak data, I'd be curious to know if you are then able to play smoothly. Also, try after 2am (sometimes 12am) and see if it's better.

If you get it to work, trust me I've been there with zero net options, be happy with it, it's a compromise that just has to be. MWO obviously is trying to make it work for you. If I have more time, or if someone else can, we could talk about seeing what is using your network at any given time. Just try for now to break it down to just your computer and your modem for testing.

#20 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Rule of thumb we've always worked with: Every foot = two nanoseconds of latency (1 foot being the approximate distance light will travel in a single nanosecond, round trip = two nanoseconds)

Sat comms tend to have high latency because your signal has to travel hundreds of miles into orbit, potentially hundreds of miles bounced to other sats, hundreds of miles to the ground, hundreds of miles across the wire, and back again.

Then there's potential intervening packet loss issues.

Every time I've dealt with it, and listened to actual experts talk about the potential issues, it's actually surprising it works as well as it does...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users