Need Some Suggestions For 20T Mechs And Loadouts.

22 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

The only 20t mech that I have is a Cipher and I don't really like the brrrrrrt playstyle 'cause I'm not good and it is very unpredictable in my hands. All the other light mechs are 30-35t in my hangar.

I need a few 20t mechs to fill out my drop deck for all map types. Any suggestions for loadouts?

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:08 AM

FLE-17 with 6SPL + 1SL is the best one. LCT-1E with 6SPL comes a close second. Locust has higher sustained speed, but flea has MASC which gives it a greater temporary maximum speed and a tremendous advantage in agility.

The laser-boat variants of Piranha have the greatest damage potential for backstabbing bigger mechs, but they are much less agile than the Flea and Locust and will thus lose in a dogfight with them.

Edited by Gagis, 18 October 2019 - 01:10 AM.

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:25 AM

The unfortunate thing is, there's just not that much to do with 20-tonners that's good. It pretty much boils down to laserpoke, MG spam, or stealth laserpoke.

Clan 20t options are all Piranha. Since the Cipher is already dealt with, that leaves the PIR-1 and PIR-2 (all three other variants being worse versions of the others). While minor build variations exist, the apex builds for them are pretty static and focus on either DPS (PIR-1) or alpha (PIR-2; decoupling the micro and small/medium ghost heat groups made this a lethal variant with a nasty punch).

For the IS, the Locust and Flea are pretty much interchangeable, especially where FP is concerned. The only question worth asking is, do you want lasers, or lasers with ECM? Here are a few configs. The Locust is generally better suited for poke-and-hide play, whereas the Flea is a better knife-fighter... but the same types of configs can really be run on either one (a 6xSPL config would work fine on the LCT-1E, for instance, while ERMLs will also work on the FLE-17). The MG and missile 20-tonners on the IS side just aren't worth your time; neither can justify their own tonnage in a deck (you'd be better off losing 5t somewhere else to bring a Commando, or 10t for a Javelin).

#4 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:53 AM

For some "more" range than 6 spl and 1small u can go 2 mpl with 5 ersmall in the flea 17

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 18 October 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#5 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 18 October 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

For the IS, the Locust and Flea are pretty much interchangeable,

Not in the least bit, not even in faction.

I personally ******* HAAAAAATE 7spl + 1sml FLE-17.

I run wither 7 spl, or 2mpl + 5sml

View PostGagis, on 18 October 2019 - 01:08 AM, said:

FLE-17 with 6SPL + 1SL is the best one.

I run with either 7 spl (there is no ghost heat), or 2mpl + 5sml

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 18 October 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

For some "more" range than 6 spl and 1small u can go 2 mpl with 5 ersmall in the flea 17

Don't do this with er smalls. It is is already a hot build, er smalls are twice as hot for an almost insignificant amount of range.

Edited by Prototelis, 18 October 2019 - 07:57 AM.

#6 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

20 ton mechs are annoying to play and annoying to play against. They are ridiculously undersized (relative to heavier mechs) and their movement physics is so bluntly unreal that it hurts to watch. Not that other mechs have great physics, but the 20 ton mechs feel like they are barely 200 kilo.

#7 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

It was actually proved out not long ago that 20 ton mechs are the only mechs even close to being scaled right sooooo.

#8 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

Of all the twenty-tonners I own, I usually have the most success in the Pirate’s Bane with three SPLs and two mg.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 October 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

I run wither 7 spl, or 2mpl + 5sml

I run with either 7 spl (there is no ghost heat), or 2mpl + 5sml
Don't do this with er smalls. It is is already a hot build, er smalls are twice as hot for an almost insignificant amount of range.

I see a diffrent point here. If i want to go close i prefer 6spl with small or 7spl.
If i use mpl i want to "poke". Ersmall and mpl work great together (duration, cooldown, range)

Edit: But i will try. Double the heat is a argument. I drive it on ice maps in CW mostly so that might be the real deal.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 18 October 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#10 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

mpl + sml work even better together on a build that is already really hot.

#11 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

YMMV, but I really don't like trying to poke with a flea. The flea's strength is agility - you want to exploit that. Work in tight (<100m) on your prey (assault mechs). Those with only torso weapons may not even be able to shoot you depending on the terrain. Poking from 250m makes it easier for your opponent.

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

lct-1e spl or meds.
lct-3s srm or lrm it
Skemet-an lct with jump jets.

#13 tutzdes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:29 PM

FLE-17 with 6xML or 2xMPL+5xSL and MASC (probably the best 20t mech in the game), FLE-20 with 4xML, MASC and ECM/Stealth (for sneaky stabbing)
LCT-1E with 6xML or 6xSPL, LCT-3M with 5xML or 5xSPL (old trusty harassers)

#14 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll pick up a Flea 17 for now just to fill out the drop deck, put some necessary points into Radar Dep. and level it slowly in FP. Pity that the clan has Piranha as the only option.

Edit: It's the cockpit being so cramped that gets on my nerves in the Piranha.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 20 October 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#15 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

Personally, radar derp is pointless on fast lights that can more readily exploit hard cover. Radar derp also does not reduce the duration of the target spotted mechanic.

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

Personally, radar derp is pointless on fast lights that can more readily exploit hard cover. Radar derp also does not reduce the duration of the target spotted mechanic.

I usually tend to get 60% Radar Dep, almost full Survival tree and max Speed Tweak before heading to Firepower and picking up the only required nodes on Light mechs. For the Flea, should I max Survival, get full Speed Tweak and maybe Coolrun nodes along with Laser Duration and skip Radar Dep?

#17 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 20 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

... Radar derp also does not reduce the duration of the target spotted mechanic.

Which really needs to be changed.

#18 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

20-tonners are garbage.

#19 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

FP is all about longevity so ammo based weapons on small mechs with weight problems are a no. This also means you need ecm and stealth so that leaves you with the Pirates Bane or Flea 20. I run the PB with 1 mpl and 3 smpl max engine and stealth with nodes speed is 165.
The Flea 20 I run with either 3 smpl 2 Erml or 5 smpl max engine and stealth with nodes the speed is 148(basically trading 17kph for an extra weapon.

I prefer the range trade off for the pulse lasers for the shorter burn allowing better snap shots, I can use speed to close the gap and retreat.

If you can shave 5 tons somewhere else run the Commando 2D with either an ERLL or LPPC and 2 srm2s with a ton of ammo. In this build you get a max engine running 146 with nodes stealth and ecm. No jets but its a good climber. Snipe and poke trade, it's seriously tanky just protect the laser arm, I can usually soak about 350 damage and still be fighting.

The build with the srm2s and LPPC means you can defend yourself at close range if you have to. Trying to trade engines down to pick up an ERPPC means you lose a lot of speed.

You are basically working with 6 tons for weapons so the ERLL lets you pick up 1 more double heat sink letting you fight a lot more in stealth mode.

#20 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 21 October 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

I usually tend to get 60% Radar Dep, almost full Survival tree and max Speed Tweak before heading to Firepower and picking up the only required nodes on Light mechs. For the Flea, should I max Survival, get full Speed Tweak and maybe Coolrun nodes along with Laser Duration and skip Radar Dep?

I'm a crummy light mech pilot (and med pilot, and heavy pilot, and assault pilot Posted Image ). Personally, I don't find maxing out the survival tree to be all that useful since it only adds 2-3 points to your armor/structure. To me, the best defense in a light mech is speed and situational awareness, so I'd rather fill up the sensor/consumable tree instead of survival on a 20-ton mech.

But as I said earlier, I don't do well in light mechs so I might be way off in my thinking.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 25 October 2019 - 08:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users