- - - - -

Is There A Way To Reduce The Lockout Timer Between Matches?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shereza

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

It's just getting old that I have to wait 5+ minutes between matches after losing until my mech is unlocked, especially since the game doesn't do anything to notify me that my mech is usable again. It's doubly frustrating when this lockout only happens if I lose.

I mean I know, I can watch YouTube, browse a/the forum, or play another game until my mech is unlocked, but it just gets real old real fast when I lose through no fault of my own and still get punished beyond losing the fight.

Edited by Shereza, 20 October 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#2 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

The only time your mech will "lock" is if you exit the match after you've been destroyed. If that's the case then you have to wait for the match to be over, there is no other way get access to that mech faster. This will not be an issue once you get multiple mechs since you can switch to another if you want to jump in another match, otherwise you'll have to wait.

#3 Shereza

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

View PostVanguard836, on 20 October 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

The only time your mech will "lock" is if you exit the match after you've been destroyed. If that's the case then you have to wait for the match to be over, there is no other way get access to that mech faster.

Why? If the mech is locked to the match then the pilot should be too thus forcing me to use multiple accounts, but that's not the case.

View PostVanguard836, on 20 October 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

This will not be an issue once you get multiple mechs since you can switch to another if you want to jump in another match, otherwise you'll have to wait.

Okay, but why should I have to buy multiple copies of the same mech so I can keep playing it while the system locks one or the other out?

Are the skill trees at least shared since a Nova S is a Nova S is a Nova S?

Edited by Shereza, 20 October 2019 - 07:51 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

View PostShereza, on 20 October 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

Why? If the mech is locked to the match then the pilot should be too thus forcing me to use multiple accounts, but that's not the case.

It's basically so that players can't rush in, die within seconds and keep doing this over and over to rack up lots of money really quick without actually playing.

Okay, but why should I have to buy multiple copies of the same mech so I can keep playing it while the system locks one or the other out?

I suppose you could do that. But why not run ~other~ mechs in the mean time? There's like 12 trial mechs.

Are the skill trees at least shared since a Nova S is a Nova S is a Nova S?

Individual on the mechs.

You can roll with other mechs in the mean time (there's at least 12 trials, aren't there?).

Alternatively and I know it's a cruel thing to say when you're new, but not dying early on the fight does help the mech unlock much quicker, since you'd be in the match longer and have less wait time before it comes back. Be cautious, remember its dangerous to go alone, and choose when to throw yourself in the fight (preferably when others are both already fighting and the focus of enemy attacks so that you can save them). If there's 5 minutes of fighting left over after you're dead, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if there's 2 minutes or less of fighting after you're dead. The difference between the two is simply when you die.

While you can't control everything about how you die, you can increase the amount of control you have by taking control. Engage enemies from behind rather than in front. Engage from range rather than up close. Engage from above rather than below. Engage in numbers rather than by yourself. You'll find the game a bit more enjoyable that way.

I know you might not like the advice at first, but I do hope it helps.

#5 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:12 PM

View PostShereza, on 20 October 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

You realize you can run a completely different build on each copy, right?

Are the skill trees at least shared
No, the skill trees aren't shared.

since a Nova S is a Nova S is a Nova S?
Seems like you haven't discovered the mechlab yet...

#6 Shereza

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 October 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

It's basically so that players can't rush in, die within seconds and keep doing this over and over to rack up lots of money really quick without actually playing.

I can understand why that would be a bad thing, but punishing everyone instead of just the people doing that is a bit extreme.

I suppose you could do that. But why not run ~other~ mechs in the mean time? There's like 12 trial mechs.

Please consider this, and I'm by no means attempting to be rude with this. I suppose I could play one of the trial mechs, but why not play another game? I've got over 600 on my Steam account alone.

When I find something fun then that's what I want to be doing, not something else. Maybe some other time I'll find hopping between mechs fun, but not now.

Alternatively and I know it's a cruel thing to say when you're new,

It's less cruel than how bad some of the teams I've been dumped in are. Posted Image

I know you might not like the advice at first, but I do hope it helps.

It's more a matter of how practical it is at times. Being in a group and getting behind are often opposing goals for example.

View PostHorseman, on 20 October 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

You realize you can run a completely different build on each copy, right?

Yes, but why would I want to if I'm having fun with a specific build?

At the risk of sounding like I'm overthinking the issue, which I assure you isn't the case because it's my ADD at work, playing a mech or build I don't find enjoyable would result in me not performing as well because it's not fun, and that in turn would hurt team performance, make it more likely that I, and even a team, lose, and that I go from being just frustrated over one loss to irritated over two. Do that enough and I'll probably get pissed off, and my temper's bad enough that I like to avoid that.

It'd be much smarter for me to just play another game or watch some TV, a term I use loosely since all I watch on it are Netflix, YouTube, and Crunchyroll.

No, the skill trees aren't shared.

Well that just sucks.

Seems like you haven't discovered the mechlab yet...

Not sure why you'd say that.

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostShereza, on 22 October 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

Yes, but why would I want to if I'm having fun with a specific build?
Faction Play, competitive play and different engagement types?
And if you're having fun with a specific build but experiment one day and find another build you like, why not have one mech for each of the builds you enjoy? That's the reason I own two copies of Dragon 5N and several Warhammer 6Rs.

At the risk of sounding like I'm overthinking the issue, which I assure you isn't the case because it's my ADD at work, playing a mech or build I don't find enjoyable would result in me not performing as well because it's not fun, and that in turn would hurt team performance, make it more likely that I, and even a team, lose, and that I go from being just frustrated over one loss to irritated over two. Do that enough and I'll probably get pissed off, and my temper's bad enough that I like to avoid that.
So you assume there's only one build you could ever enjoy on the mech and are afraid to get out of that established comfort zone?

Well that just sucks.
No, it doesn't. It lets you have two or more copies of a mech and tailor each to a different role.

Not sure why you'd say that.
Because the only thing a pair of Nova S-es is guaranteed to have in common is the AMS hardpoint in their CT. Nova is an omnimech and any variant of it can swap heads, arms, legs and side torsos with the other variants (CT is the only component that cannot be swapped).

You can install Nova-A arms for PPC quirks, Nova-S arms for pulse laser quirks or Nova-Prime arms for a massive array of lasers.
Then you can install Nova-A torsos for triple AMS, Nova-D torsos for armor quirks, Nova-Prime torsos for energy heat quirks or Nova-S torsos to supplement your main armament with an array of machine guns.

Ergo, your Nova S does not have to be the same as my Nova S does not have to be the same as Kon's Nova S.

Edited by Horseman, 23 October 2019 - 07:16 AM.

#8 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

What I'd suggest for the newer players is to not quit the match after getting killed. Spectate your teammates and see what they're doing differently and what are their weapon loadouts so you might have ideas on what changes you could make in your play style and mech builds to better survive future matches.

If you're often getting killed early in a match you're likely either being too aggressive for the mech you're using or are getting caught out of position and away from your teammates. Cycling through your remaining teammates to find one that appears to be moving and trading effectively can give you some ideas on how to modify your gameplay.

#9 helix6745

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMorelos, México

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

I'll second what Ruccus stated, don't quit the match once you've died; spectating your teammates can help you learn various things like positioning, poking and trading, etc., also, just because you died, it doesn't mean you can't be helpful to your team.
While you can't open the full battlegrid, you can still check your teammates minimaps while you spectate them, relay any information that may be otherwise overlooked.

#10 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

View PostRuccus, on 24 October 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

What I'd suggest for the newer players is to not quit the match after getting killed. Spectate your teammates and see what they're doing differently and what are their weapon loadouts so you might have ideas on what changes you could make in your play style and mech builds to better survive future matches.

If you're often getting killed early in a match you're likely either being too aggressive for the mech you're using or are getting caught out of position and away from your teammates. Cycling through your remaining teammates to find one that appears to be moving and trading effectively can give you some ideas on how to modify your gameplay.

A thousand times this. I'm not new to Battletech, Mechwarrior, etc. but I am a novice at MWO

Spectating teammates allows you to see what your counterparts do in order to stay alive, trade damage, and takedown certain types of mech: didn't occur to me to just run a piranha into the legs of an atlas until I saw someone succeed in that strat firsthand - the Atlas got legged by his own team trying to take down a light. You get to see some meta behind what weapons people are running and how they use them. Also to be fair the game would lose some of the interest it has if death had no associated penalty: players wouldn't learn what they were doing wrong. Victory/Surviving a match wouldn't be nearly the same thrill either. There's certainly also an aspect of cheering on your surviving mates. You can still chat to them even after you die/eject.

As for multiple mechs join the club I accidentally bought the Pakhet twice this weekend lol. But I can play one while another is slagged, I can also run both in Faction Play drop decks, or I can experiment with the loadout of one while I play with what I'm most comfortable with on the other. And yes even with just the one mech you can spend the 4 or 5 minutes of slagged time in the mechbay looking at your skills, loadout, camospec, whatevs.

If you are looking for a game with less dead-time try Dreadnought out. The customization isn't as deep as it is with 'mechs but its there.

Edited by overheal, 25 October 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#11 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

There are so much written above, but I want to help and I will start it over again. So, here we go again:

View PostShereza, on 20 October 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

It's just getting old that I have to wait 5+ minutes between matches after losing until my mech is unlocked, especially since the game doesn't do anything to notify me that my mech is usable again. It's doubly frustrating when this lockout only happens if I lose.

I mean I know, I can watch YouTube, browse a/the forum, or play another game until my mech is unlocked, but it just gets real old real fast when I lose through no fault of my own and still get punished beyond losing the fight.

About the lockout: Its a common thing around pretty much any battle arena vechicle comebat game. WoT, WT doing the same thing, so... Actually MWO is one of the few games of this kind where you can get into the fight in the exact same build of the exact same mech moments after losing a game earlier. But yes, you need to buy such another one mech.

So, why would you want to have a second mech, or maybe like a third one, you're asking? Cause there is Faction Play mode in this game, where you may bring up to 4 similair mechs in one fight. Also, yes, you may change loadout for each one of them, also different cosmetics for each.

After reading above you may ask if you can get some mc in-game, cause you will need new mechbays. So, I'm telling you, you can get mc and mechbays in Faction Play(grindy), or by attending some event challenges. I myself got only like 10 out of 60 of my mechbays from non-ingame source.

I saw some skill-tree discussion. It used to be "mech tweaks" (tweaks for the one, say, Nova, you are looking at right now, not any other Nova). And it is still, in fact, mech tweaks, idk why devs confuse people with "skill tree" name.

Edited by Sneaky Ohgoorchik, 25 October 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#12 overheal

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Hmm you're correct, semantics wise hard to call it a skill tree when your pilot in theory would have the same skill on the same chassis type and loadout; here you're fine-tuning the 'mech in particular to have faster shutdown/startup times, weapons range, item slots, etc. - this also means I can have a Pahket that is especially good at tanking by maxing out the survivability tree or a flighty one with full mobility and ops trees etc.

Edited by overheal, 25 October 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#13 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:45 AM

View Postoverheal, on 25 October 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

A thousand times this. I'm not new to Battletech, Mechwarrior, etc. but I am a novice at MWO

Spectating teammates allows you to see what your counterparts do in order to stay alive, trade damage, and takedown certain types of mech: didn't occur to me to just run a piranha into the legs of an atlas until I saw someone succeed in that strat firsthand - the Atlas got legged by his own team trying to take down a light. You get to see some meta behind what weapons people are running and how they use them. Also to be fair the game would lose some of the interest it has if death had no associated penalty: players wouldn't learn what they were doing wrong. Victory/Surviving a match wouldn't be nearly the same thrill either. There's certainly also an aspect of cheering on your surviving mates. You can still chat to them even after you die/eject.

As for multiple mechs join the club I accidentally bought the Pakhet twice this weekend lol. But I can play one while another is slagged, I can also run both in Faction Play drop decks, or I can experiment with the loadout of one while I play with what I'm most comfortable with on the other. And yes even with just the one mech you can spend the 4 or 5 minutes of slagged time in the mechbay looking at your skills, loadout, camospec, whatevs.

If you are looking for a game with less dead-time try Dreadnought out. The customization isn't as deep as it is with 'mechs but its there.
You can also call out weak spots on enemy armor and help co-ordinate after death, thus helping your team win, and getting you more c-bills and xp (you get more XP from winning matches, a lot more)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users