Also time to dust off my Solaris-builds. Time to get wrecked Posted Image

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

25 matches vs. tryhards who stand round a corner with their backs to the wall.... nope.

I might run my LBX/UAC-20 Cicada in Div-6 though.

Or go full troll in my Viper in the Coliseum.

#4 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 23 October 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

25 matches vs. tryhards who stand round a corner with their backs to the wall.... nope.

It's almost like you've never played any Solaris.

#5 MechDaedra

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

This event is not for me ... Posted Image I like group fan in random teams 12 vs 12. When in 5 hours of the game, there is not one victory. Posted Image

#6 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Serious question, does/did Solaris actually add anything of value to the game? If yes, what did it add, and if no, what was the purpose?

#7 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostMycroft000, on 23 October 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Serious question, does/did Solaris actually add anything

Well my only reason for playing 1vs1 was to win a different new warhorn for the first three seasons...

But since Season 4 they got lazy and didn't even change the warnhorn's color (which is pink) for three seasons in a row.

So it does add plenty (including 5 maps), but only for those who like 1vs1 and 2vs2... and pink warhorns.

Also the Solaris winners are poorly highlighted, with just one decal to show their efforts : Can you name me the top ~3 players of any of the 7 Division from Season 6 ? Odds are most of can't.

View PostPrototelis, on 23 October 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

It's almost like you never played a slow vs fast mech match in Solaris : Doesn't last 25min, but sure involves the slow mech transforming itself into a turret the whole match.

Fixing that would require removing the arena walls and using a 10s countdown instead.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 23 October 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#8 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 23 October 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Well my only reason for playing 1vs1 was to win a different new warhorn for the first three seasons...

But since Season 4 they got lazy and didn't even change the warnhorn's color (which is pink) for three seasons in a row.

So it does add plenty (including 5 maps), but only for those who like 1vs1 and 2vs2... and pink warhorns.

Also the Solaris winners are poorly highlighted, with just one decal to show their efforts : Can you name me the top ~3 players of any of the 7 Division from Season 6 ? Odds are most of can't.

Warhorns, meh
Maps, yay(sort of since they're just arenas and only function in Solaris or private lobbies)

And winner's recognition, that would matter if there was enough activity on Solaris to actually amount to more than event farming.

#9 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

View PostMycroft000, on 23 October 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

And winner's recognition, that would matter if there was enough activity on Solaris to actually amount to more than event farming.

In fact it doesn't get more fair then Solaris, and even if you get matched against impossible odds because there was only the two of you in the queue, you lose little on the expected loss, and win loads on a win if you beat the impossible odds. Like 2-3 elo loss if you lose, but 60-90 elo points if you manage to win : The higher the risk, the higher the reward.

In contrast if you land on a one sided stomp in Faction Play, the 12man stompers get 10 times the rewards of the stomped, despite having taken absolutely no risks at all, and it doesn't get more unfair then that : The lower the risk, the more you get paid for tagging along.

Solaris is fair, and the Solaris Leaderboard is the most and only relevant MWO Leaderboard for judging actual player performance I know of.

If you don't believe me go face a 2000 elo Solaris monster 1vs1 : Nobody gets at the top of the Solaris Leaderboards by mistake, even less through group stomping.

And on the last day of a Solaris season you have ~nothing but 1750+ elo players duking it out to climb up the top#10 ladder, the single biggest concentration of top MWO players you'll ever meet.

But I agree Solaris would be easier to play it if there was a special day for it, like they did in this year's Comp Championship. Or at least raise the minimum amount of players to launch a match to 4 instead of 2, because with only 2 players queued you get some truly ridiculous (but properly rewarded) match-ups.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 23 October 2019 - 07:53 PM.

#10 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:07 AM

You can see who can shoot and who can t.

No hiding behind. Just 2 or 4 Mechs. You don t have a good feeling playing together with someone.....Solaris shows you the strength of your teammate.

BUT

With this low population it always ends in:

High Level Pro Gamer in Meta with sometimes help from a strange ping farm Noobies in Trial mechs.

In 2 vs 2 you get a lot of stuff..Due to the fact. that you are in the Top 20..even with 0 wins......There are not enouigh players doing 25 games.

PGI doesnt care..So Solaris got a plöayground to Test and do whatever you want in 2vs 2.

Arranged fights between a special Mech...No problem...When you have 4 players...Nobody will interrupt you.

Also..One missed Salvo can already make the difference between winning and loosing.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:14 AM

"Strategy" like that is basically useless and you can ban the two maps where it even remotely works. Did you play Solaris even once before?

#12 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostHorseman, on 24 October 2019 - 07:14 AM, said:

"Strategy" like that is basically useless and you can ban the two maps where it even remotely works. Did you play Solaris even once before?

I did my 25+ games to get a Warhorn, and ~19 games I had "tryhards who stand round a corner with their backs to the wall" and they rank in top 10...

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 23 October 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

You need to stop sync-dropping and play vs. randoms.

#14 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

I've always found this mode annoying and easily manipulated by tryhards, trolls whatever you want to call them. The pools of mechs available to play in this mode, and thus the tiers, should be dramatically reduced. And 2v2 should be able to matchmake or just remove that mode. Having to manually form a group of 2 and then go into the queue for it is just ridic.

#15 Lims Cragma

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

In my experience Solaris 7 is a depopulated game mode with Tryhards/No-life/Napoleon Dynamites of the MWO world exploiting every loophole of the game engine and the matchmaker to get to Top 10. Most of them use slight variations of AC2 ANH boats. A big reason to install and continue playing MWO for me and other loyalist MWO players was and is the Lore. S7 can not be farther form the Lore from the IS/Clan mech balancing perspective. For the reasons above this game mode is utterly boring and does not even justify time spent on 25 games for the farming purposes any more.

#16 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

View PostLims Cragma, on 24 October 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

Most of them use slight variations of AC2 ANH boats

Dabs in Arctic Wolf

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostLims Cragma, on 24 October 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

In my experience Solaris 7 is a depopulated game mode with Tryhards/No-life/Napoleon Dynamites of the MWO world exploiting every loophole of the game engine and the matchmaker to get to Top 10. Most of them use slight variations of AC2 ANH boats.
Even in Div 7? :P

#18 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Starwolfe and LadyWolfe143 both drop their streams in Solaris 7 every Wednesday night starting at around 6pm Pacific Time; 1v1s and 2v2s depending on how many folks are dropping with them.

If you are looking for S7 matches, look no further!

http://www.twitch.tv/starwolfe

http://www.twitch.tv/ladywolfe143

#19 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

View PostHorseman, on 24 October 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Even in Div 7? Posted Image

In div 7 you fight lights warping around :)

#20 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

I might run my LBX/UAC-20 Cicada in Div-6 though.

Or go full troll in my Viper in the Coliseum.

they're easy to kill these days. Back then it was pretty bad with the king crab. But now we have chad victor.

Chad victor poops on everything just about now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users