12 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:18 AM

Soooooo...yesterday my gaming computer did its usual monthly Windows 10 and other updates. Afterwards, I logged into MWO to do some Faction play to farm CBills and mech bays, but upon my spawn, I found that my key bindings had been completely borked and that my mechs were doing all kinds of crazy stupid things at the spawn point like running in circles, firing weapons wildly, and initiating eject sequences. I couldn't even get chat or VOIP to work to alert teammates that I was having technical problems.

This happened twice, the first in a Tourmaline incursion and the second in a Boreal Vault attack. In between those matches, I went into the training grounds to test everything and found that my mech operations seemed normal there. But when I dropped into Boreal, the same thing happened again. I exited the game, rebooted my computer again, and reset all the game settings back to default.

When I logged in again and reset my game preferences, it seemed to be working normally again, as I caught the tail end of the disastrous Boreal Vault battle that had gone badly while I was struggling with my game's meltdown. I then called it a night, but felt really bad for those two teams which got screwed over by this failure (whatever it was). For that I apologize.

My question is has anybody else experienced something similar with key binds getting fouled up after updates, causing your mechs to go haywire at spawn? It was a really weird and frustrating thing to happen after waiting to get into matches and then screwing your teammates over when your game goes nuts.

Just curious...

Edited by Joshua McEvedy, 14 November 2019 - 03:19 AM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:16 AM

Never had your circumstance of all the key bindings being messed up after an update, but I do occasionally get a situation wherein at drop, my mech will start moving in a straight line and firing all weapons and nothing I do other than canceling out of the game and logging back in will stop it. It’s happened enough that I have been able to note that while AWSD inputs and primary mouse keys (firing) are locked out, other inputs are fine (I can shut down and restart, deploy consumables, use zoom, twist torso, etc.). It’s odd and I have no explanation as to why or how it occurs. It seems random but it may very well by linked to updates.

#3 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:43 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 14 November 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

Never had your circumstance of all the key bindings being messed up after an update, but I do occasionally get a situation wherein at drop, my mech will start moving in a straight line and firing all weapons and nothing I do other than canceling out of the game and logging back in will stop it. It’s happened enough that I have been able to note that while AWSD inputs and primary mouse keys (firing) are locked out, other inputs are fine (I can shut down and restart, deploy consumables, use zoom, twist torso, etc.). It’s odd and I have no explanation as to why or how it occurs. It seems random but it may very well by linked to updates.

That's good to know, Bud. It was extremely embarrassing for me last night because I like to play in good faith and support my teammates and play the best match possible. This was impossible last night because of this new gremlin that somehow muffed things up. I'll try again tonight and see what happens. Thanks!

#4 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:26 AM

I have seen the game lag where it seemed to respond late to the sent inputs. I am not so sure about all the other inputs you spoke of though. Was this a reaction to you driving your mech and shooting? The key bindings you referenced seem to say the mech was doing the opposite or mismatched action for input sent to the game.

Maybe you have seen the first iteration of MWO's AI for mechs. Posted Image Wouldn't that be cool

#5 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

View PostDeathshade, on 14 November 2019 - 06:26 AM, said:

I have seen the game lag where it seemed to respond late to the sent inputs. I am not so sure about all the other inputs you spoke of though. Was this a reaction to you driving your mech and shooting? The key bindings you referenced seem to say the mech was doing the opposite or mismatched action for input sent to the game.

Maybe you have seen the first iteration of MWO's AI for mechs. Posted Image Wouldn't that be cool

No, this was not lag. This was a case of the key bindings getting switched all around somehow prior to drop, in which (for instance) 'W' became 'K' for "Ejection Sequence Initiated," and 'D' became 'B' for the Map grid, and 'A' became 'Enter' for "Fire," and so forth. In the meantime, as soon as my mechs (a Cyclops-Sleipnir on Tourmaline and an Annihilator 2A for Boreal) fell out of the dropships and landed, they started walking in uncontrollable circles. It was just bizarre.

However, I would not be at all surprised if this was some iteration of MW5's AI being secretly tested on me. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

My client crashed recently and on restart all my settings were reset to defaults. Since then, I've backed-up up my user config file.

#7 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

Make sure to back up your MWO user.cfg files to prevent headaches like this from happening again.

#8 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

yesterday, I had the same thing happen, but in another game.
gotten used to expecting something has been messed up after a windows update, so Yeah this key binds changing thing happens to me

in the other game I just restarted the game, seem to fixed it, but in MWO I need to run the repair tool, Glad you reminded me, since I have not yet logged into MWO since winUpdate, I'll need to first jump into training grounds and make sure "W" key is working, (and anything else that may been messed up) seems it affects that key only.
It doesn't happen all the time

#9 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

View PostCharles Sennet, on 14 November 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

My client crashed recently and on restart all my settings were reset to defaults. Since then, I've backed-up up my user config file.

Thanks Charles! You were in both matches with me last night when this happened, and I was really embarrassed about it. I just couldn't get the word out to both teams that I wasn't being a loser AFK putz.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

By default, Windows 10 updates also update drivers. Look through the update history to see what all was updated. If one is the type of person who needs to depend on Windows to update drivers.... expected weird crap, otherwise jump through the hoops to turn off driver updates.

Also files can become corrupted depending on how one exists out of the game, be it crashing or X out instead of logging out.

Another is antivirus scanning and if it happens to be scanning that into when the system restarts/crashes, etc...

#11 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 14 November 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

Thanks Charles! You were in both matches with me last night when this happened, and I was really embarrassed about it. I just couldn't get the word out to both teams that I wasn't being a loser AFK putz.

No worries, strange things happen.

#12 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:24 AM

if you play enough you see all kinds of crazy stuff

#13 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

Never had the possessed mechenstein thing happen, but I've had the key bindings thing happen a few times. The weirdest one was when it wanted to log in my kid's account, and he hasn't played in 4 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users