The Ancient Game Translation. Powerdolls(1993))

8 replies to this topic

#1 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

Like ten years ago I played the game, which was pretty much like Battletech nowadays, but anime and better. Like seriously better - up to 16 mechs on the field, separate pilots for artillery and air support, variable mission plans, electronic warfare and waves and waves of enemy vehicles and mechs to kill every mission. I know that the game was popular enough to spawn a series of like 6 games, but I never found any english translation but for the first one. Does anyone here heard about the game and its translations?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

i know there's software that can scan a game for strings and replace them with translated versions, mostly used for old games. but ive never used any of those before.

#3 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

While I have not heard of this game before, I thank you for catching my interest in taking a look at it.

#4 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostSneaky Ohgoorchik, on 15 November 2019 - 08:18 AM, said:

Like ten years ago I played the game, which was pretty much like Battletech nowadays, but anime and better. Like seriously better - up to 16 mechs on the field, separate pilots for artillery and air support, variable mission plans, electronic warfare and waves and waves of enemy vehicles and mechs to kill every mission. I know that the game was popular enough to spawn a series of like 6 games, but I never found any english translation but for the first one. Does anyone here heard about the game and its translations?

Oh god. Someone actually remembered this game. I remember playing this a long long time ago.

For those not familiar with it, its turn based combat with an RPG structure with waifus piloting mechs. So kind of like Battletech or Front Mission. This wasn't the only one, there is a whole genre of such games in Japan, some made it to console.

Trailers.

There was an anime made out of it?

Classic weeb material.

The mechs have a design trait and that is they have particularly THICC thighs, and you simply cannot forget that on a mech design.

Gameplay

Gameplay

Edited by Anjian, 15 November 2019 - 08:55 PM.

#5 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:46 PM

View PostAnjian, on 15 November 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

This wasn't the only one, there is a whole genre of such games in Japan, some made it to console.

I'm familiar with Front Mission series. May I ask the titles of other games, even Japan titles? Maybe some of them was published around or translated by fans.

#6 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

I can't remember them now. What I saw were for consoles.

If you like turn based strategy games with mechs, a few ones are coming out next year for PC and console:

Dual Gear
Into the Breach
Phantom Brigade

Dual Gear is the most anime or Front Mission like. The other two are more X-Com or Battletech like.

Dual Gear is heading from alpha to beta this December. You can check with Steam.

Best anime-mecha game right now in my opinion is in mobile, but it also depends if you like battle royale with a choice of team deathmatch.

Edited by Anjian, 17 November 2019 - 08:17 PM.

#7 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:10 AM

This one is Robot Tactics. You can find this for your phone or tablet.

Iron Saga. This is coming out in global. This kind of reminds me of Azur Lane.

If you like Gundam and have a collector's urge.

If you like to just buy it and play it, never mind microtransactions and online play, there is Destroy Gunners. This is probably the most popular robot game no one has heard about, and yet it has achieved millions of downloads. This game comes in a series.

#8 Sneaky Ohgoorchik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:37 AM

Thank you for posting the games, Anjian. But I just see from the trailers how much different they are from something I want. Except Dual Gear, and phantom Brigade I guess. But they are both WIP.

I like the old Powerdolls game for being a way less "anime" and more like 90s anime. I mean yes, the modern mecha games are plenty, but they all are fantasy ********. In the original Powerdolls you have female crew for your mechs and vehicles. For fanservice for sure, but that was it. The game tried hard to show that you are actual military guy. Your weapons was autocanons and heavy machine guns, rocket and grenade launchers. You had like real world stuff mounted on bipedal machines. You had air support, artillery support and countermeasures against enemy analogues. You had pretty much all the stuff from the beginning of the game. Sure for plot and feeling of progress you will get some more stuff along the way, but it wasn't like in RPG, when your old stuff becoming useless at some point. Also, missions was actually pretty complicated operations, like mounting explosives on a dam for the first mission, uphill battle for the second and infiltration-hostage rescue for the third. Also, the old game didn't have the stupid technical limit on stuff participating in combat, so battles was quite epic, not like this stupid Battletech with its 4 men limit. If not the original UFO defense(aka X-com) Powerdolls is simply the best tactical combat game in general for me.

Edited by Sneaky Ohgoorchik, 24 November 2019 - 03:45 AM.

#9 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:53 AM

Heh.... I used to play the original Power Dolls about a decade ago and looked into the same thing back then.

Unfortunately, no English translations that I know of (official or not).

It's actually more than 6 games - at least three expansion packs (or standalone games using same series number, kinda unclear), there was Power Dolls FX (an enhanced remake of the first game for PC-FX) and a 2009 reboot titled Power Dolls 1 which may or may not have a sequel (I seem to recall some information about one but it might just be my memory playing tricks).
The franchise also includes two OVAs (which did get to the US), at least one manga volume that I know of (which didn't) and a novel (which also didn't).

Might be more than one manga but again... difficult to find information; the franchise seems to be about as niche as Battletech itself.

For similar stuff, have you tried the Front Mission series or Titans of Steel?

Edited by Horseman, 28 November 2019 - 08:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users