- - - - -

General Tips For Someone Who Is Rusty At Mw?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Punisher8492

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationDC Metero Area

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:44 PM

Any tips for someone who played MechWarrior some in the past (MW2,3 and 4) back in the day but is rusty as it gets? I have not played for years due to, one having cheap PCs for years and depression issues. (long story there). I like to play assault and heavy mechs mostly. I like firepower and armor. Any general advice for me to get better so I don't die so quickly in game?

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:02 AM

#1 Turn the mouse sensitivity setting WAY DOWN
#2 Increase the field of view setting

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:08 AM

Wait for some of the actual good players to post, but in the meantime my recommendations are:

Be patient. Never rush in. Don't follow the two lights who go off to do whatever they are doing.
Learn the maps and understand that thee most important element of a successful performance is positioning and map awareness. You need to know where you can successfully trade from, and then when and where to reposition to when the "team" starts the inevitable NASCAR.
Then when warranted (the minimap is your best friend) move with the group (do not allow yourself to be caught alone).
Learn to spread damage (twist, etc.). Do not face tank unless you have the mech and build for it..
Learn to differentiate your arm reticle and your torso reticle; practice this.
Use the paper doll. and fire where it will do the most good.
Use Grim Mechs for your builds or get some suggestions from high level players (Jarl's List).

Edited by Bud Crue, 30 October 2019 - 02:09 AM.

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:10 AM

Don't treat it like MW2/3.

That means no bracket builds. Focus on a single range and keep weapon types to a MAX of two. So Missile/Laser or Ballistic/Laser. Or all Laser or all Ballistic etc

Use this website for builds:. https://grimmechs.isengrim.org
Note: some of them require skill to play. I would suggest heavy Mecha first to get used to the gameplay as they are the best balance of speed, weapon and armour.

The above is the most efficient and best way to play MWO and be effective in when starting out. Anyone that says otherwise, don't listen to them. Take my advice - I'm one of the top players left playing and many here will deliberately mislead you. No idea why, but they must find some kinda sick enjoyment in it

#5 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostGagis, on 30 October 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

#1 Turn the mouse sensitivity setting WAY DOWN
#2 Increase the field of view setting

On the field of view part what should it be set at? I have messed around with it but can’t quite find the right setup

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

Listen to Ash, he knows what he's talking about. I don't like him for his manners and attitude, but he's a top pilot. Take the builds from Grimmechs and use them as a baseline. From there, you can make tweaks and experiments when you have settled in.
And for tactics, see the 101 (also quite entertaining) and follow Bud's advice. Everything else will fall into place by itself.

Mouse sensivity 0.2 is a good vantage point.
FOV depends highly on the power of your setup and the size of your monitor(s). I use 85 on a 17" laptop screen.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 30 October 2019 - 06:30 AM.

#7 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

I use 78 for my field of view but I have a nonstandard 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the typical 16:9.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostRed Potato Standing By, on 30 October 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

On the field of view part what should it be set at? I have messed around with it but can’t quite find the right setup

I personally don't mess with the FOV, mine's just default. FOV is more of an individual taste thing, doesn't correlate to better play

#9 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Cool thank you

#10 GeekySauce

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

With all MW, check hotkeys and adjust to your preference. Check the loadout menus after a new build (again) and don't forget to save. Remember that you can test any build before purchase. Get a mic. [:

#11 Punisher8492

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationDC Metero Area

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

You guys seem like a nice community, I appreciate all the feedback.

#12 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

Since you like assaults / heavies don't wander off. Stay with the group. I've seen so many assaults wander off only to get picked apart by lights. And always pay attention to the mini map. Like everything there is a learning curve but you'll get the hang of it.

Edited by Katrina Steiner, 30 October 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostVxheous, on 30 October 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

I personally don't mess with the FOV, mine's just default. FOV is more of an individual taste thing, doesn't correlate to better play

Yeah I thot mine is just above standard, not much. I okay at 1440p/27" so there is a size factor there too.
Everyone is different and that's just a setting you gotta toy with yourself.

Mouse setting as everyone else said - reduce sensitivity down. I have 0.1, lowest it can go. I prefer to control that stuff with my mouse personally.
I think 0.25 is the max it should ever be.

#14 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

Depends on the dpi. I play 0,23 with 700 dpi. No smoth or such stuff. Asign override and arm lock to a key!

U want your burn to land in one component.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 30 October 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#15 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

If you want to survive longer, do not bring an assault mech into a match because being new to mwo, it's the hardest class to control as well as slowest and biggest moving target so, if you're spotted by an enemy, chances are you'll be focused fire by all enemies almost immediately.

Edited by MOBAjobg, 18 November 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

1. Don't lead, follow.
2. Always keeps tabs on your teammates positions. Stay with the largest group of them.
3. Always keeps tabs on enemy's positions. There are 12 to keep track of and you will only see a few at a time on the map.
4. Don't stare down enemies (generally--this depends on what weapons you have). You will get cored in no time, even in an Assault!.
5. Press R to target enemies. ALWAYS target enemies! ALWAYS have something targeted.
6. Twist, turn to the side, use cover to mitigate damage. Spreading hits around your armor still won't save your mech for long so cover and good movement is essential. Don't forget that other mechs count as cover too (but don't use this to exploit your team, use it tactically).
7. Know your build and what weapons and gear are in what components, so if you lose one you know why.
8. Keep your weapon groups simple. Most stock builds are designed for TableTop and don't perform well here. They include weapons in all ranges and types. That's much harder to manage here. If you go with multiple ranges, just go with 2, and make sure they complement each other. Don't use 1 PPC, 1 AC 20, LRM 5, and 3 small lasers. Instead, you can use 2 AC5s and 4 Med lasers for instance.
9. Mind "ghost heat" and build and fire around that so you don't generate penalty heat.
10. When being hit, don't freak out or freeze up. You have to respond by moving or returning fire. Returning fire can be difficult in such situations because you can't see and you're getting battered so it's generally better to move. If you do decide to return fire, use the UI to aim. Target your opponent and put your cross-hair inside the middle of the red bracket. When you fire, watch your crosshair turn red to indicate a hit. If you aren't hitting, don't bother.
11. Heat is one of you biggest limiting factors. Always know what your heat level is and whether firing will shut you down or not.
12. If firing will shut your mech down due to heat, you probably shouldn't take the shot unless you know it's a kill shot.
13.Learn from your mistakes.

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:49 PM

Never play sober.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users