Frenzy, Paralyser Or Bloodlust?

11 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

I haven't played in a few months, but noticed the rewards and decided to check and i got a couple mechs coming to me. figured i'd finally grab the Grinner for my light reward which i know is a solid mech. I play wolfhounds fairly often.. But i dunno about these mediums.

I really have most of the other medium heroes outside of a handful or so. I also have never played any of their base mechs. All 3 seam like them might be decent, got a missile boat, an energy boat with ECM and a machine gun mech.. i dunno.

Do any of these stand out Frenzy, Bloodlust or Paralyzer? Ecm/enery boat, missile boat or a machine gun mech.. They seam like they could have a place, but i dunno if any really stand out?

other medium options, St ives, X-5, Grey death.. all have seen better days but could be fun for kicks in QP to level up. The Dark Death probably should also be on the list. that's about it for ones i don't have

So what do you guys say?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:59 PM

Frenzy is a great mech and truly unique in what it can do for the IS.
Bloodlust is a killer, plays very similar to the ASN-21. Very tight SRM4 clustering due to hardpoint location.
Paralyzer is a solid ECM Laservomit, very predominat in Solaris D7 with MPLs right now.

#3 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:04 AM

You can in fact basically duplicate the ASN-21 on the Bloodlust, although I think it's better to drop the engine just slightly and put the tonnage into machine guns to differentiate it. They essentially have the same role and are both very good at it.

Dervish is all-around a solid chassis and probably the best new mech they've introduced in the past year, and among the different variants you can't really go wrong with the Frenzy.

Paralyzer is a bit of a dark horse. I don't care for it or the Hellspawn in general but it has its fans.

Edit:
Comparison of ASN-21 and Bloodlust:
BLOODLUST
ASN-21

As you can see, Bloodlust is slightly less mobile and has slightly weaker hitboxes in exchange for gaining the ability to crit components with the machine guns.

Edited by Mister Maf, 18 November 2019 - 03:09 AM.

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

ok, ty. I do play an A-21 so that was helpful.

I'm kinda leaning towards the frenzy now, JJ's +missiles sounds pretty solid. Are people running SRM4's+2's? or going with 4's or 6's and rockets?

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

I run this on my FRENZY

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:47 PM

Darkdeath with an AC2 sounds like a waste of time but if anything else it's fun to annoy people with.
Also, what about High Roller? (also asking for myself because I dunno which medium to get)

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:32 AM

High Roller is a Bushwacker that can run dual LB10's, ergo it's an excellent choice.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:50 AM

Or dual UAC10 as any BSW with ballistic STs. It doesn't sound like much, it requires an XL engine... and in-game it murders the opfor with good burst damage and excellent convergence.

Edited by Horseman, 21 November 2019 - 05:51 AM.

#9 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

I have the Dark Death and Bloodlust and have passed on the Paralyzer and Frenzy so far because I have other variants that are very similar.

The Hellspawn 7D is solid and is a cbill buy, they only thing the Paralyzer has over it is the arm mounted missile points but in turn lacks the 20% buff from the bay doors on the torsos, just not worth the MC.

The Bloodlust is the only Vulcan with missile points and they are very tightly focused and it has spread quirks, loving it so far, I posted my build and review in Medium Mechs. Plays like an oversized Javelin 11b with jump jets. Grab all the firepower nodes to get the 6 missile nodes and the mag cap for the guns and it ends up with 332m range on the srms.

The Frenzy, missiles only, basically the same problem with the Archer 5W using all of the hardpoints is tough and usually some ghost heat issues. If you try to run srms and mrms, ghost heat. Switch up to lrms and srms and its a tonnage issue if you can even run with all of the hardpoints used and honestly lrm5 spam was nuked by the lrm/ams rework.

The Dark Death which OP didn't ask about but is always going to come up in this discussion, meh, playing it as an srm build its pretty much a 27 with 1 machinegun. Just not enough tonnage and hardpoints for a big srm hit and meaningful ballistics. 1 AC2, you aren't going to be left alone at range enough to make it worth it. I run it with a RAC5 and 2x smpl and use it as 2nd line fire support.

Srms come down to big shotgun or full auto damage hose. The Bloodlust shines at the full auto damage hose with the 4x srm4s. You get all of that awesome shock and awe of constant explosions in the enemies face blinding them with down right terrifying dps, throw in 3x machineguns and the ability to hover out of torso mounted weapons reach and it makes mechs way out of its weightclass do the "I don't like this" dance.

Out of the 4 I would take the Bloodlust hands down even lacking ecm and stealth.

Edited by Johny Rocket, 30 November 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#10 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Frenzy with 4x SRM4 and 4x SRM2 makes for a fun brawler and can alpha w/o ghost heat.

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:48 PM

Paralyzer is a pretty decent MPL boat, and probably the only halfway decent Hellspawn because of it. The hitboxes are terrible, but the idea here is to use the 'Mech as a short-range poptart rather than as a brawler- in that, it's roughly on par with other 6xMPL JJ mediums. Compared to the PXH-2 (which is its nearest equivalent), the Paralyzer offers a pair of torso hardpoints (all of the PXH-2's hardpoints are arm-mounted), a smaller overall profile, and more torso armor. Which one is better comes down to preference, since they can literally run exactly the same build. Forget the missile points, unless you're going to use them like this (which is entirely valid, regardless of what RL detractors might say about the weapon).

Frenzy may not have good quirks (or any quirks at all- thanks, PGI)... but it's a good 'Mech. The hardpoints are basically "what if Pahket, but IS?" and the hitboxes are solid. Resist the urge to run as many tubes as humanly possible, and run something sane and sensible instead. Also good as a poor man's IV-Four.

Bloodlust is basically "Assassin, but Vulcan" and that's all you really need to know about it. It's good, but not revolutionary.

#12 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 01 December 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

Paralyzer is a pretty decent MPL boat, and probably the only halfway decent Hellspawn because of it.

Bloodlust is basically "Assassin, but Vulcan" and that's all you really need to know about it. It's good, but not revolutionary.

Boating mpls being the only good Hellspawn build is pure opinion, I have quite good success with this 7D build as a flanker/skirmisher. Paralyzer can do basically the same build with both SRM6 in the arms or drop to 4s and add 2 smpl.
https://mech.nav-alp...6d8e2037_HSN-7D

The only Assassin comparable to the Bloodlust is the 21 and it lacks any ballistic points having only 2 laser points.
The Bloodlust missile points are closely clustered around the cockpit giving it a solid pattern instead of two clusters from the ST. Running the 4 SRM4 on chainfire and adding the machineguns means a completely different play style than the average Assassin build.
https://mech.nav-alp...#3999ad63_VL-BL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users