Remove Hrad Points From Omni Mechs

3 replies to this topic

#1 SoulStrom1

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:15 AM

I don't know why Weapon Hard Points were introduced to Omni Mechs, but that is a contradiction to the Omni Mech design philosophy. The whole point behind the Clan Omni Mech idea is that you can mount any equipment anywhere you want as long as you have the space to mount it.

If you are familiar with the game lore, the weapons and equipment were mounted into modular pods that could be easily removed and replaced if a piece of equipment became damaged.

The weapon hard points were I Inner Sphere technological limitation that was not overcome until after the clans started to invade the Inner Sphere.

Why has this game taken a technological step backward in clan technology?

#2 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

It was a balance decision, you can swap parts, so the arm or side torso etc so its still modular but just no OP for clan players vs IS

#3 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:42 AM

If you want to go strictly by the Lore, all Clan-Mech driving Pilots would have to be forced to play by the rules of Zellbrigen. The only way the IS could put a stop to the Clan invasion at all was by playing "dirty". Clan warriors have been calling the IS forces barbaric and honorless. Multiple Mechs would target one or ambush instead of the duell-style fighting of the Clans. Although there were variations within the Clan structure, the the combat style of the IS was the piece of the puzzle that was able to the undoubtetly overpowering Clan Tech.

In MWO terms that would possibly mean that Clan tech drivers would have to lock a target before actually attacking it and would not be allowed to go for a different target before it's originally selected opponent would be defeated. Either that or get severly penalized by the game (however that would look like). And that is where the whole problem starts: All MWO players play dirty (except when 2 groups do some explicit lobby matches "by the rule" of course). Nobody sticks to zellbrigen, so the only IS "weapon" that would neutralize crazy advanced Clan Tech is itself neutralized.

Looking back and having witnessed years of forum complaints about massive Clan-IS imbalance has actually subsided as of late and I have the supicion and the gut feeling that right now it's as even out as it gets. Since PGI at the moment is in mainly in MW5 mode (and we all want a friggin awesome MW5 to begin with), I myself take MWO as is at the moment anyway. Also I suck big time and it's always just a ******* frustration getting asswupped 9 out of 10 times.

In a nutshell: It's not the Tech, it's the players ;-)

#4 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:26 AM

Hardpoints were one of the best design choices they made for this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users