Feels Like Cheating When Playing A Lrm Boat ;-(

94 replies to this topic

#21 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostWizardofOz, on 27 November 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hi,

ok I am a lousy MWO player. Watching YouTube videos, trying to adjust my playstyle, try a lot of mechs, but still I barely survive a game. Now I found a solution for someone who is not able to play the game.

MC II 4xC-LRM20 boat. Suddently damage beyond 1000 and muliple kills in a game. Most of the time I am on the winning side. Now I am close to Tier 2.

I realized that the number of LRM boats decreased since MWO started, but for me it seems to be the perfect match. I do not understand why not more people doing something like this. Or maybe I score so good because not everyone is doing this Posted Image

But it feels like cheating, because I am still not good in any other mech without LRMs. Just wait for a target turn into the right position and hit the trigger.

What do you think about that?Posted Image How did you improve your game in different mechs?

Yeah. You nailed it. LRMS are easy mode. Very little actual physical input required or awareness needed. They're laughably easy. A lot of people know this and just don't bother with them because they aren't fun and/or maintain the view that LRMing is detrimental to the game as a whole.

If you're fine with just no skill slinging 1k+ damage EZ mode game in game out, go ahead.

If you're interested in improving your skills with other mechs (something strongly encouraged and welcomed) there are tons of great resources around. This forum does actually have some good players with great advice- anything in particular you're looking for?

#22 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

Oh, yeah, I remember this link....
https://docs.google....t#gid=868162679

It's a pretty good list of good mechs.

Plus, there's also this one https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database

Lots of good builds there. It's a great starting point to learn stuff about MWO builds and then tweak it to your liking if you so desire.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 28 November 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#23 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:16 PM

View PostOmniFail, on 28 November 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

Better than your posting accounts stats so far this season. It appears that you spend more time trolling than playing.

I actually play plenty lawl, mostly faction.

#24 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:15 AM

View PostA Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun, on 28 November 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

I come from a time when FPS games didn't have autotracking weapons, a time where you had to work for your kills or the game taunted you for sucking.

I come from the same time, but times do change. Nowadays many FPS games have autotracking or even autokill weapons like the helicopter or nuke in some CoD Modern Warfare incarnations. You either deal with it or don't play those games. But bitching on others playing those games and calling them disgusting is just wrong.

Also most of the games featuring autotracking or other powerful weapons (including MWO) have features to deal with them, making those weapons far from overpowered. For example take the good old Unreal Tournament's Redeemer. It's almost impossible to evade it's huge auto-kill splash radius, but once you figure out that you can shoot the slow-moving rocket, it feels far less overpowered.

Last but not least who says that every FPS has to put aiming and reaction on top of it's required skill set? MWO is by far no twitch shooter like Quake3 or Unreal tournament and could have never been (because 100t assault mechs), so why impose their rules on MWO?

In MWO the most important skills are positioning and threat assessment, that's why PGI called it a "thinking man's shooter" in contrast to faster paced FPS focusing on motoric skills like aiming and reaction.
If you lack in positioning and threat assessment you will fail using guided missiles like streaks as well as when fighting against them.

If you pilot a light mech and get caught by a streak-huntsmen, it's not the fault of the weapon or enemy pilot, it's you who made a threat assessment mistake (for example by not checking the loadout of the huntsmen) or a positioning mistake (attacking a target without knowing what else could be there).

which that type of crap is essentially in my view a dev approved aimbot, an aimbot and streaks in particular are one in the same, you point, lock, shoot, kill with streaks, aimbot point, lock, shoot, kill. Just one is approved the other isn't.

So what? As long as anything is dev-approved, it can't be cheating and players are encouraged to use the dev-approved "aimbot". That's basic logic. As i said, blame the game/dev, but not the ones playing the game as intended by the devs.

You also totally ignore lock-on time, travel time, ECM, AMS, cover, torso-twisting, ect. which make MWOs guided missiles way more harmless than any aimbot used for real cheating.

LRMs and ATMs idc for, but streaks are built in cheating since no amount of open field maneuvering can save you from getting hit

In "open field", no amount of maneuvering can save you from getting hit by ANY weapon fired by a competent pilot. That's why good players avoid open field.

But when you have cover near you, you can easily break LOS before the enemy gets a lock on you and you can also dodge most incoming missiles, even streaks. Especially if you are piloting a fast mech, only equally fast mechs are able to reliably hit you with streaks if you play smart and zip from cover to cover.

When i play light mechs, streaks are my least concern, i just attack other targets not protected by them. Dual (heavy) gauss however is WAY more dangerous and much harder to avoid because of longer range and much shorter preparation time (chargeup vs. lock-on). For each time i die to streaks i die 10 times to a well-placed high-caliber ballistic shot.

LRMs and ATMs you have the grace of spread damage, streaks go for center mass just like an aimbot.

Streaks spread even more than LRMs with Artemis/Narc/Tag or ATMs. Just go into testing grounds with each weapon configuration of comparable DPS (for example 1xATM12 vs. 4xSSRM4) and you will see that Streaks kill much slower than the other guided missiles. You will also notice that streaks ALWAYS hit every component they can "see", while LRMs and ATMs tend to focus torsos much more, often not even scratching the arms.

And if you are on the receiving end of a guided missile barrage, try torso twisting. Almost no missiles will hit your CT if you present the side-profile of most mechs.

Edited by Daggett, 29 November 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#25 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

If playing an LRM boat is the only way you can contribute to wins, and it is working for you, and you get enjoyment from it, keep doing it.

If you aren't enjoying it, get better at something else.

#26 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

LRM until it becomes ineffective (as in higher skilled opponents) or until you get bored with it. LRM's niche is effectiveness against low skilled players.

#27 MadBomberMan

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

I once had the nightmare of witnessing
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15

That's right, LRM 15 x 7!!!

I forget which mech it was, but I still remember the player name.
Anybody know which mech this is possible?

#28 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostMadBomberMan, on 29 November 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

I once had the nightmare of witnessing LRM 15 x 7!!!

Don't encourage them.

#29 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

that reaks of yondu lawl.

#30 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15

I forget which mech it was, but I still remember the player name.

ArcticWolf or Huntsman if you got the hero omnipods. Its not that hard to pull off, and its entirely pointless. However what you saw was probably a NovaCat with 6xLRM15, which is a pretty common build. Six are easy on a lot of mechs.

#31 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Anyone else remember doing 28kph in a stalker and getting ACE in a match? Ah those were the days, so much salt was mined.

#32 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

ok I am a lousy MWO player. Watching YouTube videos, trying to adjust my playstyle, try a lot of mechs, but still I barely survive a game. Now I found a solution for someone who is not able to play the game.

MC II 4xC-LRM20 boat. Suddently damage beyond 1000 and muliple kills in a game. Most of the time I am on the winning side. Now I am close to Tier 2.

I realized that the number of LRM boats decreased since MWO started, but for me it seems to be the perfect match. I do not understand why not more people doing something like this. Or maybe I score so good because not everyone is doing this Posted Image

But it feels like cheating, because I am still not good in any other mech without LRMs. Just wait for a target turn into the right position and hit the trigger.

What do you think about that?Posted Image How did you improve your game in different mechs?

You have not seen what even just an OK light pilot can do to a LRM Boat.

#33 WizardofOz

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:51 AM

View PostCurccu, on 28 November 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

That is just ghostheat hell... IF you want to do 2xUAC20 try B®oiler or HBK-IIC, both are UAC20 ghost heat free.

Yeah Thx for that tip. Makes a lot of fun!! Posted Image

#34 WizardofOz

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:02 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 28 November 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

- anything in particular you're looking for?

I try to learn from spec mode too. I saw that keeping your shooting in sync with your movement seems to be a very powerful skill. Jumping and shoot the right location at the same time. Waouh!

What I start to try now is not facing the front side to the enemy whole the time. Like I did with a UAC20 build or with Rotary AC/5. Furthermore I started to use heavy mechs instead of assault mechs to learn the usage of a higher agility.

I did that with lights before, but I am to hectic. But in a group where I can sync with another light it is a lot of fun. Last time making 700dmg while hunting in a pack of Jenners ;-).

That is really more fun than simply hitting the trigger in a LRM boat.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 28 November 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

Thanks for that. Looks interesting.

#35 WizardofOz

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:05 AM

LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15
LRM 15

Muahaha, with that my MCII is a little ***** cat :-D

#36 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:36 AM

I enjoyed lobbing LURMS since i started playing . Like all things your buddies and the map determines if you make your 1000 damage or not .

Lurm support not cheating , its an option that might work or not and unless lights are hunting you , you have a longer average lifespan .

Edited by Pain G0D, 02 December 2019 - 01:39 AM.

#37 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:46 AM

I have only 1 lrm-boat for FP-defense:

Scorch with 4xlrm20+art with 4004 lrms ammo, paired with 2 hvyMlaser, 2k dmg min and don't need to switch mechs Posted Image

In QP I'd rather go with my MadDog 6x6streaks, lights hate it Posted Image

Edited by Unleashed3k, 02 December 2019 - 01:48 AM.

#38 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:53 AM

Hi,

There aint that many lrm boats cause they are sitting ducks and even mediocre opposition will eat those boats for lunch.Dont pay attention to the tiers. Its completly meaningless whether it says a player is tier 5 or tier 1. It might look that way, that an lrm boat is powerful by dishing out good dmg, but it always depends who you face. Any okay to good team red will massacre your lrm boats.

Generally speaking, if teams are somewhat balanced in terms of skill, you will significantly weaken your team by fielding heavy or assault lrm boats. In most instances, inexperienced lrm players put lrms on heavy and assault mechs and stay away from the front line. Thats where their armor is sorely needed though. Even mediocre teams that have just one leader that calls the shots will simply smash right into your front line. Without heavy and assault mechs in your team to tank those pushes you will be masscared. Brutally.

None of that matters though if youre having fun

If you enjoy heavy/assault lrm boats then by all means, play them.

Be aware though that whenever you dont face cannonfodder teams, theres a 100 % chance that theres 1 - 3 fast skirmishers, that are aleady en route to intercept your teams most likely lrm boat locations, as soon as the match started. I only need one glance at team red to identify some at least a bit experienced players and I then know for certain, that they will hunt the back end of your teams nascar train.

In a slow lrm boat youll be the very first to be slaughtered.

IF you do well in a slow heavy or assault lrm boat that almost always means that team red is as inexperienced and unorganized as your team.

As I said, if you play vs good teams, an lrm assault mech will draw team reds skrimishers like a lamb will draw starved wolves on open terrain. Theyll smell blood and run straight to your position. ANd then you dead.

#39 SolidusPrime

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:06 AM

My friend who is also not so great at the game also excels with LRM mechs.

I think it's a combination of things. LRMs take less "twitch" skill, and there is virtually no aiming involved. Most of the time you are out of the fray, so less pressure. But I also think maybe there is something about the weapon in general that just fits your playstyle better than other weapons. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like LRMs are OP and dominating the field or anything :)

#40 A Rabid Raccoon With A Shotgun

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Alaska foaming at the mouth

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:16 AM

View PostSolidusPrime, on 02 December 2019 - 05:06 AM, said:

My friend who is also not so great at the game also excels with LRM mechs.

I think it's a combination of things. LRMs take less "twitch" skill, and there is virtually no aiming involved. Most of the time you are out of the fray, so less pressure. But I also think maybe there is something about the weapon in general that just fits your playstyle better than other weapons. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like LRMs are OP and dominating the field or anything Posted Image

There is no twitch skills required wtf are you even talking about? It's about finding, leading and putting shots accurately down range, there's no twitching needed, this is by no means CS:GO or Anthem levels of speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users