Where Is The Hype?

Social News

32 replies to this topic

#1 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:47 AM

I'm looking for it. I'm looking pretty hard.
-Checked on gaming news sites. Most aren't covering it, although a couple have precautionary opinion pieces telling readers to stay away.
-Checked on reddit. Not a peep. Maybe 100 people on the dedicated MechWarrior 5 subreddit, with average of 2 upvotes per post.
-Checked on Twitter. No hash tags, no retweets, no favorites, no moments. Not a word unless you go directly to @Russ_Bullock as he slings the same three tired trailers.
-Checked YouTube. People are angry. Half the damn videos are being bombed with dislikes, and the comment sections are 50% burned customers and 50% people holding E to salvage PGI's reputation.
-Checked Twitch. It's there if you know exactly what to look for. Expect about uhh... twenty five viewers on average?

No advertisements.
No articles.
No previews.
No forum.
No discussion.
No nothing!
For Christ's sake, it's less than 24 hours away and you have to scroll down three pages on the Epic Games Storefront just to find an icon for the game! Where's the "discovery" PGI was talking about!?

Is Russ expecting us to become Jehovah's witnesses for the game? Give me a freaking break here, lads. Show me a sign that isn't doused in gasoline and set ablaze.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:58 AM

Does it really matter at this point? They said there'd be some trailers and we had those. There's supposed to be one more, probably to coincide with the release 'cause I remember in the last AMA that there'd 1 in November and 2 in December.

PGI have already been paid to cover the initial sales and cost of development. It's probably enough to start working on something extra. In the meantime, more sales is just a bonus and there's something to look forward to when MW5 releases on other platforms.

So, I ask again. When users who are upset at MWO, dislike MW5 'cause reasons, then is there any reason to hype up a niche game?

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:36 AM

Can’t afford hype, got a big party in Vancouver that no one cares about to pay for.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:53 AM

As much as I can undestand that the staff wants to celebrate their work, the party seams indeed pretty useless in terms of adding sales or profiting from word of mouth or even people beeing interested to go there.
If it had been a full MechCon, maybe it could have generated some hype for the game...I think that was the plan with the last mechcon.

Another point is, I don't know if there might be an embargo in place that keeps certain websites and reviewers from reporting before the launch.
Personaly I am looking forward to tomorrow with mixed feelings. Demo was fun for me after getting used to some changes but Instand action is only one part of the game, the part that worries me is the one I haven't yet played.
The short stories are nice, as far as I have read them and concidering that the author helped or even has written the story for the game is promessing. At least he seams to know the lore and haveing some other perspectives in the storys then purely the mechwarrior was refreshing.

#5 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:11 AM

You want hype when you got a good game and want to sell it to people. They got a bad minimally viable game they've already got loads of money for. So ... why bother?

#6 RakiaTime

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:28 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 10 December 2019 - 07:54 AM.
unconstructive

#7 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 09 December 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

Does it really matter at this point?
Yes.

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 09 December 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

So, I ask again. Is there any reason to hype up a niche game?
Uhh... I don't remember you asking me this before now?

The point is, you can't move a product if no one even knows you have a product, let alone why they should be interested. PGI cannot succeed if they completely fail to establish and execute an awareness campaign for their game. Even the damn Monkey Evolution Simulator had better advertisement than MechWarrior 5.

MechWarrior / BattleTech may be "niche" now, but it's not the fault of the IP. The game had significant staying power in the 90s and early 00s. It's a damn shame that we're constantly dealing with minimal viability when even products like MechAssault were console-movers. All the partying in Vancouver and the Florida keys -- or whatever island they're on these days -- is directly damaging the IP's future. People should care about this kind of mismanagement.

Are you really gonna tell me "going on a war path" because 134 people viewed a 50 minute Let's Play a day early is good use of Russ Bullocks' time now?

#8 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

When epic told PGI to delay release for 3 months it was not to help MW5’s visibility but rather to help borderlands 3. This is exactly the epic visibility I expected.

#9 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

To go hyper you need the seven chaos emeralds and seven master emeralds,collect 50 rings and jump. You are the hype for mw5. I've watched a few mm's videoes mostly the light and urbie ones. Mw5 is pretty much meh except for the co-op which has hardly been shown. I was going to pre-order multiple copies for family until the egs deal. Now i'm just going to wait for steam and a nice 50-80% off sale of it for a single copy. By then everything to know about the game will be on youtube. You want to watch the 'mw5 movie' sure you'll find all the cutsecenes. Walk though? Yep.

#10 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:28 AM

Contrary to common belief, PGI does advertise and hype their games heavily, its just done at a pitch too high for human beings to hear it.

They have spent most of every dollar earned off of MWO and MW5 on advertising, we just cant tell without special instruments. Imagine how frustrating that has to be for them.

#11 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:40 AM

View PostKnight Captain Morgan, on 09 December 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

When epic told PGI to delay release for 3 months it was not to help MW5’s visibility but rather to help borderlands 3. This is exactly the epic visibility I expected.

Oh yeah, that poor Borderlands 3 indie developer would have been totally eclipsed by a MW5 triple-A title.
LOL, these people.

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 09 December 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

Oh yeah, that poor Borderlands 3 indie developer would have been totally eclipsed by a MW5 triple-A title.
LOL, these people.

Other way around, bud

#13 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:43 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 09 December 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Other way around, bud

Your ability to follow the conversation is indeed remarkable.

In case the meaning of this message is unclear for you as well, try googling "sarcasm".

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

View PostKnight Captain Morgan, on 09 December 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

MW5 was STILL not ready due to coding issues and the procedural generation issues, and as evidenced by the flamers and the AI, optimization and intelligence issues.

It still isn't ready.
Epic, however, told them they HAD to release within a specified time frame of signing the deal.

This has been detailed around the forums as early as July.
And is covered here (the issues, not the epic deal) uploaded 8 months ago. Though they say it was solved, in truth, they supposedly didn't solve some of the issues until last month and they still have other issues. The flamer fix was done the day of the beta and didn't make it.

Part of the reason for signing the epic deal was to get help to fix the issues as PGI couldn't solve it themselves. This is why it kept getting pushed back and pushed back.

It's releasing now, because like Steam, Epic requires you to release within a certain window of signing the deal, otherwise you have to reapply. Since money is transferred here, there is no postponing.

This is also why on Steam there's many "beta" games... Meeting that release window while being nowhere near done.

(The statement of power fantasy, kinda explains why the vehicles are pure cannon fodder..)

Edited by Koniving, 09 December 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#15 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 December 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

Epic, however, told them they HAD to release within a specified time frame of signing the deal.

Genuine question - how do you know this?

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:42 PM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 09 December 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Genuine question - how do you know this?

Read the contract for Epic Exclusivity.
Read the contract for applying to release on Steam.

It's in the standardized contract.
I personally got the information on an unrelated video about Epic Exclusivity, advantages and disadvantages, and one the things to note is that you are required to release within a specified time of signing, and you are allowed a single extension of 90 daysafter which you must release or pay back the funds.

As you may know, PGI couldn't possibly pay it back. :P

I want to release a game at some point too so its important to look this kind of **** up.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 December 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Read the contract for Epic Exclusivity.
Read the contract for applying to release on Steam.

It's in the standardized contract.
I personally got the information on an unrelated video about Epic Exclusivity, advantages and disadvantages, and one the things to note is that you are required to release within a specified time of signing, and you are allowed a single extension of 90 daysafter which you must release or pay back the funds.

Sounds fair enough. No publisher wants a bottomless pit into which they have to keep tipping money. However, I am sure that if they were confident the product was developing nicely they would extend beyond 90 days. That's capitalism Posted Image

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

It also means that Epic Exclusivity is not a viable way to fund a cheap game, as you must release within 6 months (though I can't recall if that's the time frame for Steam or Epic.)

I'm certain that bigger companies can easily get more than the contract states. Though if you're an indie developer you're likely stuck with what the contract states and anything that's broken you should probably fix soon.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:48 PM

Gotta go get catfood and roll to work.

Btw I think the OP said the game releases tomorrow?

Was really hoping to play with the dev tool before then.
Someone lemme know if the dev tool works in the released game, cause I'll be asleep while most people are playing the released game for the first time.

#20 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 December 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

It also means that Epic Exclusivity is not a viable way to fund a cheap game, as you must release within 6 months (though I can't recall if that's the time frame for Steam or Epic.)

I'm certain that bigger companies can easily get more than the contract states. Though if you're an indie developer you're likely stuck with what the contract states and anything that's broken you should probably fix soon.

I am going to sound obvious when I say this but the "6 months" is planned in such a way that when a company decides to go EGS exclusive to get the initial payment, it'll be to cover the cost of production and there's just ~6 months' work left to do. No company would dig a trap for itself. In PGI's case, going with EGS allowed them to delay the game. It could be 'cause Epic told them to or it could be an internal decision. Whatever the case, the fact remains that PGI got extra work time before releasing their MW5.

Also, regarding the EGS exclusive payment, the initial proposed sales expectancy will be covered. Suppose PGI planned to ship 200k units, then Epic will be paying the sum equivalent to whatever PGI would've got from selling the said 200k units. It isn't from PGI's calculations alone either. Epic would've done their own research of the market and the value of MW5 as well as the Battletech franchise, seen the product that PGI had developed until that point before signing off on that exclusivity deal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users