Mw5 Graphical Settings Help

17 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:38 PM

Anyone know how to fix or remove the dotted shading effect in MW5? Maxing AA only blurs it so it becomes harder to notice but no setting in the options menu I played around with seems to fix/remove it completely.

It's most noticeable around the feet of the mech but is is also noticeable around vehicles and buildings.
https://i.imgur.com/4LvTNfQ.png

Edit: I'm going to download the latest Nvidia driver to see if that helps. I did update a few days ago but I guess new ones are out already.

Edited by Funky Bacon, 10 December 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Shamoth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

Specially for MW5 i did clean OS installation with latest drivers and it looks worse at Vega64 no matter max or low gfx settings, 8bpc or 10bpc, looks like bad ambient occlusion or smt. Same moire/mesh effect at windows in mechbay starting location and those nice burned pixels at black background at first cutscene when dropship approaching planet... looks like it beats RDR2 at some point ;P

#3 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:55 PM

I've noticed pretty big differences switching back and forth from 1920x1080 to 1440p. 1440p is about the max I can run and it looks great. The dithering I think is never fully going to go away. I think it's tied to how the game is and how it is designed to enable lots of on screen action without dramatically stuttering the game. That or is related to the resolution scale in place. idk

Kinda pre-occupied with the game itself at the moment, lol.

#4 Shamoth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 10 December 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

I've noticed pretty big differences switching back and forth from 1920x1080 to 1440p. 1440p is about the max I can run and it looks great. The dithering I think is never fully going to go away. I think it's tied to how the game is and how it is designed to enable lots of on screen action without dramatically stuttering the game. That or is related to the resolution scale in place. idk

Kinda pre-occupied with the game itself at the moment, lol.

IMHO 1440p looks like crap, as You called that dithering is so obvious that my eyes bleed... havent tried lower res thou but from my experience running at 1080p with GPU or monitor build in upscaling would look like even worse...

#5 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

Is there any way to turn down the screen shake? It's so bad I can't make out anything just simply walking.

*EDITED*

I changed some graphical settings without reloading the game. Thus the radar and other GUI elements shook violently when walking. I restarted the game and now no more screen shake fyi.

**EDITED AGAIN**

I jumped a building and did a super jump and now the screen shake is back. It get more violent over time.

Edited by OnLashoc, 10 December 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

One thing that might actually alleviate this is by turning up resolution higher than normal and utilize the resolution scale under the display and graphics in options.

I will try it out (4k and 50-100% RS) and see what results.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 10 December 2019 - 02:41 PM.

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Did find that I can set the resolution at 4k and RS to 80% and it looks nice on my 1060 6gb, which is cool. dithering still present though minimal.
I'm going to say that for most, setting the resolution higher and playing with the RS will yield best results, esp if they have a lower end gpu.

Set too low, the resolution scaling will yield very muddy textures/models but higher framerates.
It's probably something with the AA that is causing the dithering to be so extreme for some.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 10 December 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#8 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:04 PM

Wish we could get rid of this dithering. I allways persive it as a graphics error ^_^

#9 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 10 December 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

Is there any way to turn down the screen shake? It's so bad I can't make out anything just simply walking.

*EDITED*

I changed some graphical settings without reloading the game. Thus the radar and other GUI elements shook violently when walking. I restarted the game and now no more screen shake fyi.

**EDITED AGAIN**

I jumped a building and did a super jump and now the screen shake is back. It get more violent over time.

that effect may be part of a jamming device on the map and gets worse the closer you get to the signals origin.

#10 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 10 December 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

that effect may be part of a jamming device on the map and gets worse the closer you get to the signals origin.

If thats the case so be it, but its only the 2nd mission in vs mostly tanks with a few helicopters. Even after killing everything and moving on to the next objective and no enemies it shaking even standing still....

*EDITED*

DERPP!!! LOL I done emailed support. Its a device at the top of the mountain causing this. lmao

Edited by OnLashoc, 10 December 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#11 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 10 December 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Wish we could get rid of this dithering. I allways persive it as a graphics error Posted Image

Setting Anti-Aliasing to maximum gets the best results as far as that's concerned. Turning it low is not suggested.

#12 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 10 December 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

If thats the case so be it, but its only the 2nd mission in vs mostly tanks with a few helicopters. Even after killing everything and moving on to the next objective and no enemies it shaking even standing still....

The jammer is at a small outpost the top of the mountain and you will get to it after defending the first base if you follow the waypoints.

#13 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:35 PM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 10 December 2019 - 03:22 PM, said:

The jammer is at a small outpost the top of the mountain and you will get to it after defending the first base if you follow the waypoints.

Yea after actually listening to what they were saying and the comment above I found it lol. Got me good hahaha.

#14 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:23 PM

View PostOnLashoc, on 10 December 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

*EDITED*

**EDITED AGAIN**

lol you sure thats not just the opening mission? BC there is a mission that does that early on, very early on, and I thought my game was broken.

EDIT: responded before reading rest of thread

Edited by Humpday, 10 December 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 10 December 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

One thing that might actually alleviate this is by turning up resolution higher than normal and utilize the resolution scale under the display and graphics in options.

I will try it out (4k and 50-100% RS) and see what results.

Using DSR to 4x even did nothing to improve quality in an appreciatable way, though I think I kinda don't like the AA at all either

View PostJackal Noble, on 10 December 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Setting Anti-Aliasing to maximum gets the best results as far as that's concerned. Turning it low is not suggested.

Though it's surprising how the game looks with lowest AA
It's not jaggy like I'm used to from other games, it's seriously messed up pixelated

Edited by Peter2k, 10 December 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

I think there is some issues with AO and shadows in general. Without such effects, the visuals lack depth. Look at the mech bay. There's almost no shadows there.

I've only played through half of the tutorial mission 'cause it was pretty late in the night so, it could be 'cause I was sleepy but... did any of you find a whole of dynamic shadows? It seems like the outdoors had baked shadows for static objects but very little dynamic shadows for moving objects. On top of that, the AO looks like it's set to low.

#17 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 December 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

I think there is some issues with AO and shadows in general. Without such effects, the visuals lack depth. Look at the mech bay. There's almost no shadows there.

I've only played through half of the tutorial mission 'cause it was pretty late in the night so, it could be 'cause I was sleepy but... did any of you find a whole of dynamic shadows? It seems like the outdoors had baked shadows for static objects but very little dynamic shadows for moving objects. On top of that, the AO looks like it's set to low.

It's been late for me too, so I couldn't really tinker, like rolling back the game ready driver to an older version
But in a nutshell, no dynamic shadows for me

Also I do wonder if the lasers are supposed to look so thin and weak like, it's not like I've seen in on YouTube (no demo for me)
At this point wondering if it's driver related

#18 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

Nah, the lasers are different compared to a single, solid line in MWO. Here, the lasers are kind of translucent and have some particle'ish effect along the length of the laser beam.

I honestly like this one but the sounds need to be better. Even MGs, for e.g., They don't sound like machine guns at all. They sound like something rusty that someone's rattling in the distance Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users