Mw5 First Hour For Me

37 replies to this topic

#1 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

Hi,
I was a bit surprised at the lower level graphics in the cut scene at the beginning..the mech graphics in game seem a bit old too. What surprised me was the amount of enemies you are facing in the first couple of missions..36 and up? and i know ..i dont have that much experience lately playing MWO so itll take me some time to get used to driving and shooting solo in missions but seriously..this amount of enemies doing this amount of damage so early in campaign?
I am hoping to enjoy this but first impressions are underwhelmed by graphics and surprised by missions so far..Also, the interface inside base could use some tweaking? let us move around faster..not just a casual walk and a bit more info in general screen?

Is it me or does it feel like they didnt give us everything..like it is still in beta?

what do others think of this game so far?

#2 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:13 PM

The whole mech bay stuff, walking back and forth to the command area definitely needs some work. As far as the missions go, I can see if you haven't played much MWO, they could be a problem. But for those of us that play regularly, the first 2 missions (which is all I have played so far) were straightforward to complete with only minor armor damage.

#3 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

Underwhelming so far.

UI/UX, all of it, is utterly doodoo...and the whole, go freaking back upstairs to talk to whats her face already got on my nerves since the dudes "sprint" is slow as hell. Hopefully that doesn't keep happening. Right in the beginning there when you open up the tabs up for the first time, a small tutorial window comes up and the font is so small, I had to lean forward on a 27" Predator.

Difficulty isn't too bad, though I already died once.

One thing that struck me immediately is that on salvage, you look at stuff and there is nothing that says what weapons does what. Now us as BT people know what an ac5/10, S/ML laser is or does...but no new player will.

I will say its fun so far, game play wise, but that UI sucks butt.

Oh also...tanks seem to just magically appear behind you, heli's, yeah sure, but tanks suddenly nipping you in the back is annoying.

Edited by Humpday, 10 December 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

View PostHumpday, on 10 December 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

Oh also...tanks seem to just magically appear behind you, heli's, yeah sure, but tanks suddenly nipping you in the back is annoying.

Not as annoying as the 1st Mech that shows up if you don't spot him fast:)

#5 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 10 December 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Not as annoying as the 1st Mech that shows up if you don't spot him fast:)

the spider?..damned thing is whats killed me twice so far..that and one helicopter left

#6 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

View PostButton man, on 10 December 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

the spider?..damned thing is whats killed me twice so far..that and one helicopter left

Yeah It took me 3 trys... finally got the feel again of LRMs and the AC.... LRMS do BAAAAD thigs to VTOLs

#7 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

Difficulty isn't too tough but the graphics are naaaasty, I think it's a bug, the lighting is washed out and super low quality.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:27 PM

second hour was omg stop talking and let me kill stuff.
the first hour was me swearing at the game trying to get it to work/debugging joystick issues.

game seems like its running significantly slower than the beta. just not getting the same performance i was. they actually were able to get the joystick support a little bit better though its not intuitive how to set that up. at least they tell you what file you need to edit and they improved the syntax a bit so its not as cumbersome to edit manually. and even then you need to plug in your own joystick data. its not perfect but at least i dont have to use a 3rd party utility and it works with virtual sticks now.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#9 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 10 December 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

The whole mech bay stuff, walking back and forth to the command area definitely needs some work. As far as the missions go, I can see if you haven't played much MWO, they could be a problem. But for those of us that play regularly, the first 2 missions (which is all I have played so far) were straightforward to complete with only minor armor damage.

Eh... heads up to you and all missing it.

You can just use the console next to the canadian accent guy on the floor by the mech you end up standing by after you have done a mission. Like every time.

By using any console it seems you get access to the menu with tabs including star map, barracks etc.

Edited by Tordin, 10 December 2019 - 06:32 PM.

#10 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

Oh also, do some reading inside the codex, its a big ol "?" in the top right, thats helped make sense of the star map...mmm now I know where to go hunting for goodies.

Also, I don't understand the looting. I've been legging and med I've come across and I've not gotten any Med chassis'...then, I'm over here straight coring lights in a wave on wave mission, and next thing you know I have 4 salvageable mechs. Is this a random loot pool or what?

I've even purposely save scummed and made double sure to take med mechs legs, and no dice.

#11 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

View PostTordin, on 10 December 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

Eh... heads up to you and all missing it.

You can just use the console next to the canadian accent guy on the floor by the mech you end up standing by after you have done a mission. Like every time.

By using any console it seems you get access to the menu with tabs including star map, barracks etc.

Canadian accent guy? Man you need to get out more

#12 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

Get out more, really? I live in Norway, not in Canada, so no stumbling upon the muricas northern neighbours here where I live.

Judgemental much, eh? Yes, eh! Was just playing a joke on the character, he does say "eh" alot. Known stereotyping, no offense.

And no mister US citizen, we got no polar bears in our city streets, thats a stereotype about us norwegians as far as I know. unless you count Svalbard Posted Image

#13 Button man

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

that damned spider..cant kill the damned thing before it gets me..i take damage getting in there up until that damned spider shows up then it just picks me apart..ugh

#14 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:55 PM

View PostTordin, on 10 December 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Get out more, really? I live in Norway, not in Canada, so no stumbling upon the muricas northern neighbours here where I live.

Judgemental much, eh? Yes, eh! Was just playing a joke on the character, he does say "eh" alot. Known stereotyping, no offense.

And no mister US citizen, we got no polar bears in our city streets, thats a stereotype about us norwegians as far as I know. unless you count Svalbard Posted Image

Dude has a bad Cockney accent from England a Lot closer to your neck of the woods..Posted Image.. NAh the Canadians have the Polar bears in there streets up north:)

see here:)
https://www.google.c...Bgd6dg_M:&vet=1

Edited by Alfred VonGunn, 10 December 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#15 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

I played through half of the tutorial 'cause it was really late in the night. But I'm irritated that the scroll up and down can't be mapped to anything in my game. I don't know how it is for you guys. It looks like the graphics didn't get a boost. I was hoping for some more "oomph" with respect to the post-process effects but alas.

#16 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

View PostButton man, on 10 December 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 10 December 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

Yeah It took me 3 trys... finally got the feel again of LRMs and the AC.... LRMS do BAAAAD thigs to VTOLs

yeah that spider, seemed invisible , was close, no arms and very red legs, but did it on first try, now wondering if I hadn't used the Centurion, but instead had used the Javelin how bad it would have been

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostTordin, on 10 December 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

try living in an alaskan town full of norwegian trump supporters. its just odd.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2019 - 08:30 PM.

#18 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:27 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 December 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

second hour was omg stop talking and let me kill stuff.
the first hour was me swearing at the game trying to get it to work/debugging joystick issues.

game seems like its running significantly slower than the beta. just not getting the same performance i was. they actually were able to get the joystick support a little bit better though its not intuitive how to set that up. at least they tell you what file you need to edit and they improved the syntax a bit so its not as cumbersome to edit manually. and even then you need to plug in your own joystick data. its not perfect but at least i dont have to use a 3rd party utility and it works with virtual sticks now.

I emailed them a few days ago with my HOTAS model (Tina specifically told people to do this on Discord) which wasn't listed as supported at the time. They emailed me back within 12 hours telling me they would try to get it included. Everything worked right out of the box. Gotta say I was more than a little impressed.

Loving the game so far. The opening cinematic was disappointing and the story reads like I wrote it in 7th grade but the game is FUN and the pilot/lance management system is well done. I wasn't expecting AAA, and it isn't, but for a smaller game from a niche studio I think they knocked it out of the park. Well done PGI. <o

#19 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

OP, if you are still having trouble with the Spider, make sure your arms are unlocked. The Centurian has the AC/10 in its arm. As the spider tries to spin around you, it will periodically face you head on. Wait for that to happen and just lead your target a bit. A few AC/10 rounds into its CT and dead spider.

#20 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

Where is the MW5Mercs forum? I have incredibly grainy gfx no matter what graphical options i turn up/down, including screen resolution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users