26 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

Edit: Renamed thread title to Lack of Shadows, instead of Seriously Ugly, because some crazy people were assuming that dodgy graphics equals a bad game. To clarify, the game is great. There do appear to be some issues with lighting. OP:

Something's up with MW5, I swear the beta looked completely normal but the intro mission to the single player campaign was ugly, like Unreal Tournament 2003 levels of yuck. There were no shadows in the Mechbay for instance, except darkening of corners / crevices from ambient occlusion. Outside, everything was overly bright and washed out, and I could just about make out shadows in the distance on the terrain, but nothinv produced by buildings or 'Mechs. Has anyone noticed this? All my graphics settings are jacked up to max.

Edited by RickySpanish, 10 December 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

I did notice the lack of depth in the Mech Bay. Everything was highlights and midtones and almost no shadows.

#3 Shwinboy

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:31 PM

Yep Just played through the tutorial on high settings. Man it looks like crap. The cinematics look worse than MWO game play. WTF PGI!

#4 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

Yep seems like they turned off shadows for buildings and architecture, nothing inside the Dropship appears to cast shadows. Terrain features do, and the first mission after the intro looks significantly better. Nevertheless there seems to be something not right with the textures, they all look super low quality, a good example other than Nic's Dad's Victor is the docking hatch closeup when you jump systems. Ew. Game's good though.

#5 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:38 PM

Mmm

Thank god I'm not the only one

I did update to the new Nvidia driver that says is MW5 ready, maybe downgrade to an older version and see

#6 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 December 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Something's up with MW5, I swear the beta looked completely normal but the intro mission to the single player campaign was ugly, like Unreal Tournament 2003 levels of yuck. There were no shadows in the Mechbay for instance, except darkening of corners / crevices from ambient occlusion. Outside, everything was overly bright and washed out, and I could just about make out shadows in the distance on the terrain, but nothinv produced by buildings or 'Mechs. Has anyone noticed this? All my graphics settings are jacked up to max.

What happened to the "Best game ever" stuff you were spouting previously?

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 December 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

Obviously, it was the demo. I don't get how you can't make this difference out.

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

New game ready driver that actually messed up more then it did good?

Cuz with the release of MW5 there is also a new driver for it from NVidia

Gonna have to see later if that is actually the issue

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:35 PM

this probably has something to do with the late rtx support. like perhaps they didn't do placeholder lights for the people without ray tracing yet, or ray tracing.

exploring the drop ships between missions has an unreal 2 vibe about it. its there, it looks nice, but its not really relevant to the game except when you have to go talk to the commander periodically. would love to be able to use the maintenance lifts instead of the stairs. and i may be totally ruined by the expanse, which i recently binged in anticipation for season 4 on friday, but battletech has the same flip and burn torch ship trope, and i couldn't help but notice the ship pointing in the wrong direction, its even orbiting retrograde which is messing with my kerbal sense. now that i think about it the ship should do its in space maneuvers with its vertical engines as that gives you free gravity. and the jump ships engines should be pointed at the star as its not technically in an orbit, rather hovering at the zenith/nadir point (which ive been meaning to simulate in kerbal for some time).

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 December 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

this probably has something to do with the late rtx support. like perhaps they didn't do placeholder lights for the people without ray tracing yet, or ray tracing.

exploring the drop ships between missions has an unreal 2 vibe about it. its there, it looks nice, but its not really relevant to the game except when you have to go talk to the commander periodically. would love to be able to use the maintenance lifts instead of the stairs.

I think there's something deeper. For e.g., Ray Tracing is only enabled in the Mech Bay, sure, but outdoors doesn't seem to have proper dynamic shadows for a lot of moving objects. I mentioned this in another topic and also caveated it with the fact that I was sleepy, so excuse my errors in judgement. What I noticed was that in the mech bay, the shadows are all but disabled and outdoors, the shadows for static objects seemed to be baked in. There should be dynamic shadows for moving objects but it doesn't look like a lot of such objects cast shadows. Plus, the AO looks like it is of low quality no matter what our graphics settings are.

Edited by FRAGTAST1C, 10 December 2019 - 08:42 PM.

#11 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:44 PM

MW5 is hardly better looking than MWO, in fact the mech textures seem like downgrade.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:48 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 December 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

I think there's something deeper. For e.g., Ray Tracing is only enabled in the Mech Bay, sure, but outdoors doesn't seem to have proper dynamic shadows for a lot of moving objects. I mentioned this in another topic and also caveated it with the fact that I was sleepy, so excuse my errors in judgement. What I noticed was that in the mech bay, the shadows are all but disabled and outdoors, the shadows for static objects seemed to be baked in. There should be dynamic shadows for moving objects but it doesn't look like a lot of such objects cast shadows. Plus, the AO looks like it is of low quality no matter what our graphics settings are.

i just hit auto, with my rtx2070 super it just set everything to maximum. it doesn't even look as good as the beta. release is just extended beta anyway, there will be many point releases in the coming days.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#13 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 December 2019 - 08:48 PM, said:

i just hit auto, with my rtx2070 super it just set everything to maximum. it doesn't even look as good as the beta. release is just extended beta anyway, there will be many point releases in the coming days.

I have a GTX 1660ti 6GB GPU and I can run it at max as well @ 1080p. It didn't look it. I should do a thorough observation later when I get home from work.

#14 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 December 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Obviously, it was the demo. I don't get how you can't make this difference out.

A "Demo" is better than the game.... is that what you are saying? So they created a lie to get EPIC to give them money? is this what you are saying? LOL

#15 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

Best game ever does not necessarily equal good looks my friend. I've been playing this game all evening, hell I have been so immersed in it that for once I have not been staring at my baby monitor all night wondering when my daughter is going to try and vault out of her crib again (twice so far, good effort but the posts are very tall). I love everything about the game except the lighting in the first mission and aboard the Dropship. The difficulty is a little easy, but I've already had to make a couple of calls regarding 'Mech loadout / repair / time constraints. I took my Centurion into the mission where you recruit the Jenner without his AC-10. LRMs are completely OP btw.

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 December 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

A "Demo" is better than the game.... is that what you are saying? So they created a lie to get EPIC to give them money? is this what you are saying? LOL

LOL to you man, wow :D you are so full of vitriol. You put words in my mouth before even confirming my opinion on the GAME instead of just the graphics. How shallow are you exactly bud? Anyway, as per my post above the game is amazing. It's the best MW game since MW2 Mercs.

#16 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 December 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

If you want, I can break it down for you...

1. The gameplay looks to be the same between the demo and the actual game.

2. The keymapping issue exists and is kind of worse in the full game, similar to Rage 2 'cause the developers think that it's better to hardcode the keybinds before making a change to allow for customization and as a result, some keys don't function properly after re-binding.

3. The graphics seems to not have full dynamic shadows in the full game and is lacking depth.

From those 3 points, if you deciphered that the demo is a better version, then it is fallacious.

#17 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:58 PM

Here’s a very well done article from PCgamer on MW5 for those that are having difficulty with the graphics. In plain English the journalist does a fantastic job going over the graphic enhancements. Has some nice slider pics that let you compare the high and low for each setting.
Also provides cpu and gpu benchmarks testing mw5. It’s crazy to see that at midrange settings an 8400 beats the 3900x, as in there should be no way that is happening. Good news is these issues are minor and they will get fixed and make this great game even better.

Any who: From PCGAMER
https://www.pcgamer....qChIQy7okT4_oBg

#18 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 December 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Best game ever does not necessarily equal good looks my friend. I've been playing this game all evening, hell I have been so immersed in it that for once I have not been staring at my baby monitor all night wondering when my daughter is going to try and vault out of her crib again (twice so far, good effort but the posts are very tall). I love everything about the game except the lighting in the first mission and aboard the Dropship. The difficulty is a little easy, but I've already had to make a couple of calls regarding 'Mech loadout / repair / time constraints. I took my Centurion into the mission where you recruit the Jenner without his AC-10. LRMs are completely OP btw.

LOL to you man, wow Posted Image you are so full of vitriol. You put words in my mouth before even confirming my opinion on the GAME instead of just the graphics. How shallow are you exactly bud? Anyway, as per my post above the game is amazing. It's the best MW game since MW2 Mercs.

The second quote wasn't for you my friend that was for Frantastic

#19 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:59 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 10 December 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

New game ready driver that actually messed up more then it did good?

Cuz with the release of MW5 there is also a new driver for it from NVidia

Gonna have to see later if that is actually the issue

I played with the old drivers and textures in the intro mission cinematics looked much lower quality than those in the follow-up missions.

Edited by Daggett, 11 December 2019 - 02:00 AM.

#20 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:52 AM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 10 December 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

The second quote wasn't for you my friend that was for Frantastic

Fair enough, I changed the topic title too to avoid confusion ;) You should play the game, it's quite good!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users