Mw5 Mission Tonnage Limits Is Kinda Funny

9 replies to this topic

#1 Droknar

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:22 PM

I get why there is tonnage limits to missions. All for the sake of gameplay, which it does make it more interesting. But if you think about it as if you were in the game it is very stupid. "Help our base is getting destroyed! We're all going to die! SAVE US... but you have to do it with only 150 tons." Life or death situation you would want who ever comes to save you to have the best equipment to better your chance of survival. Its like fighting a war but the soldiers can only use sticks to attack.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:30 PM

Are you talking about the demo or the actual game? The demo had "recommended" tonnage and not a hard restriction. If there's a hard restriction in the actual game, then yeah, it's a terrible way to induce difficulty.

One way to look at it, which was also the way it made sense in HBS's Battletech where certain Flashpoint missions restricted tonnage, was to make sure that transporting and getting around in the mission would be efficient with that limit. But it'd be for something like quick attack mission or a mission that supposedly wanted to tell us that attacking a base should be done "stealthily".

I had a strong feeling that MW5 would be like the FPS version of HBS's Battletech. Going by what I've seen so far and from my personal experience with the demo, I could be right.

#3 Droknar

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

In the full release it is a hard restriction. If it says max 150 you can't take 155 or over, game won't let you launch.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

Time to mod that nonsense out then. *sigh* Day 1.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

im still running on lights and mediums after spending much of the day playing it. maybe i should leave davion space.

#6 Droknar

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 December 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

Time to mod that nonsense out then. *sigh* Day 1.

I figured that this would be a mod that would show up fast.

#7 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

In theory there's a limit to what they can afford to hire and that sorta stuff is part of the MRBC contract.

However if the merc wants to drop heavy at his own expense, why not let him?

Admittedly it then lets you breeze through mission over tonnage but if repair and maintenance costs scale I don't see that as a big deal.

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:10 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 10 December 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Admittedly it then lets you breeze through mission over tonnage but if repair and maintenance costs scale I don't see that as a big deal.

In HBS's Battletech, certain Flashpoints limit the tonnage but other missions don't. Those missions with tonnage restrictions are special case where you're being challenged to something or need to get away from something fast, etc., Roguetech brought in the Drop Cost where heavier lances will incur higher cost for starting missions. I can see many similar mods appearing for MW5. It's basically a FPS version of Battletech. I saw some mission called "Smash and Grab". In Battletech, there's a generic mission-type with the exact same name Posted Image

#9 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 10 December 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

In HBS's Battletech, certain Flashpoints limit the tonnage but other missions don't. Those missions with tonnage restrictions are special case where you're being challenged to something or need to get away from something fast, etc., Roguetech brought in the Drop Cost where heavier lances will incur higher cost for starting missions. I can see many similar mods appearing for MW5. It's basically a FPS version of Battletech. I saw some mission called "Smash and Grab". In Battletech, there's a generic mission-type with the exact same name Posted Image

Roguetech is brilliant.

Drop cost seems like a great solution and you solve for it in the base pay for a mission.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

i will send a dozen fresh baked cookies* to whomever mods in a stock arbiter.

*cookies may contain tree nuts, hashish, cat hair/feces, egg shell fragments, broken glass, might be burnt and are known to the state of california to cause cancer.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 December 2019 - 10:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users